PDA War IV ---MobilePhone/Memory Companies Catel --Class Action

Guest vwt4

Hi All,

I think for a long time USB Host functionality has been availablity since casio E200, Manufacturers delibrately restrict this functioinality so that jo-blog can spend more on memory cards etc..

If all mobiles have usb host capability, then you dont need to keep buying larger capacity cards, instead carry your pocket 1terabyte drive around and only transfer map/data you need on your mobile when you need it. also access dvd vga scanner tv out... All you need are drivers, lack of drivers is what starved E200. A guy called Dejay tried..

So I think the real class action is to stop manufacturers from starving us of IO capabilities that have been available for 5+yrs... Its a real shame.

OK some may say battery life, then I say there are battery powered drives...

My two Cent..

Cheers

vt4

Guest hotphil

My take on that would be that if I ever wanted to have more than a couple of GB on a portable device, it wouldn't be my phone. Extra stuff like USB host, VGA out, 3.5mm headphone jack all add to size, weight, cost and complexity. And getting data on/off the device only requires a USB cable - I can't see it's a massive issue for most of their customers. People wanting 100's of gigs of data to hand are surely going to be looking at a more PC-centric convergent device?

My take on that would be that if I ever wanted to have more than a couple of GB on a portable device, it wouldn't be my phone. Extra stuff like USB host, VGA out, 3.5mm headphone jack all add to size, weight, cost and complexity. And getting data on/off the device only requires a USB cable - I can't see it's a massive issue for most of their customers. People wanting 100's of gigs of data to hand are surely going to be looking at a more PC-centric convergent device?

Convergence! Exactly my point, the liines are getting blurred now.

The ultimate is a slim down HTC Advantage, the idea is you have a single dongle and the cables(VGA/printer/..) are always available at work/home/car.

The ultimate phone becomes your ultimate mobile processor, with SDR .... This device can be plugged (docked) directly into a notebook shell at home/work or attached to a bigger detechable touch screen monitor in car.

All you need to carry around is just the dongle as in Advantage.. and Upgradable Flash based memory storage (usb) (credit-card size).

I have predicted this 10yrs ago.. Since HP the only real research company abandoned PC based (LX100 LX700) ideas and follow consumer-based approach it meant we got given what jo-blog sees as trendy, not uselful. Jo-Blog is not suppose to be techy!

We are getting there with next phase of MIDI umpc....Another story for another day..

Cheers

vt4

Guest hotphil

I'm a fan of convergence. But I'm also a fan of only having a small telephone-centric device in my pocket with plenty of battery life. I, and I suspect a lot of others, don't want/need a computing powerhouse in their pocket - just want to send/receive calls and emails. Anything requiring horsepower is best done on a different device. That's why I find these different form-factors intriguing... I think the two niches are going to very much remain separate - mobile-centric devices and PC-centric devices.

I see a small UMPC-like device being great as a second device to carry for when storage/horsepower/bigger keyboard etc are of use, but a mobile is better for all day everyday use, but with things like Word/Remote Desktop etc for when you absolutely need them and can't wait.