GPS Tweaking

Guest ChadH

I'd be grateful for some advice on tweaking the GPSr on my Orange Tytn II

I mainly use the GPS for Sat Nav with Tomtom, and Geocaching with a variety of software.

The GPS is great, but I have one small problem with it. Normally, the co-ordinates update frequently (I believe it's set to 1 second in the registry), but if my walking speed drops to about 2mph, the GPS co-ordinates stop updating as regularly, and maybe update only once every 30 seconds. Even when I start walking again at speed, it is still 30 seconds or so before the software recognises that I'm moving again. This happens on any software I use on the phone, and the general concensus from support staff for the software is that I need to configure the GPS into 'walking mode' (ie. remove this minimum speed setting.

I can understand why the GPS would have such a setting with driving applications, but it's a bit of a pain for walking applications. I've noticed several settings in the registry for the GPS, but none of them are obvious.

Has anyone else noticed this, and does anybody have a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Guest PJDelaney

Mine doesn't seem to work if I'm walking bar from the initial fix then its stuck there no matter how fast you walk, navigation by car is fine though. What the reg key for the update timing?

Mine doesn't seem to work if I'm walking bar from the initial fix then its stuck there no matter how fast you walk, navigation by car is fine though. What the reg key for the update timing?

If you look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS, you will find various settings for the GPS. Mine are as follows, and have (to the best of my knowledge) not been modified by anything:

EnableAGPS, DWORD, 0 (Setting this to 1 will help the GPSr retain a signal when you move into a bad signal area)

GPSMode, DWORD, 2 (This is an interesting one - I suspect that there are various modes for walking, driving, etc.)

NumberFixes, DWORD, 999999999 (No idea!)

QoSAccuracy, DWORD, 50

QoSPerformance, DWORD, 89

ServerIP, String, 193.253.42.109 (I don't like this setting at all - a reverse lookup returns LNeuilly-152-21-109-109.w193-253.abo.wanadoo.fr. WTF?!?)

ServerPort, DWORD, 7275

TimeBetweenFixes, DWORD, 1 (I believe this is the refresh rate in seconds)

The QoS settings seem interesting - I might have a play with those and see what happens. If you have any additional information on any of these settings, please let me know.

Chad

Guest PJDelaney
PS - What software are you using? It might be a limitation of the software rather than the GPSr.

Tomtom 6.0 was the app I used when walking to a hotel in Florence, not tried with anything else yet ie Google Maps etc over here.

Tomtom 6.0 was the app I used when walking to a hotel in Florence, not tried with anything else yet ie Google Maps etc over here.

TomTom's been OK for me as long as I'm walking faster than one and a half / two miles an hour.

• 2 weeks later...