ROM update released for T-Mobile Shadow

Guest ikaikam

Guest ikaikam

A new firmware update has been release for the T-Mobile Shadow

shadowupdate.png

The update, which includes a number of enhancements and fixes, is available to download from this page, with further information available here.

From the site...

Do you need this update

To find the Handheld Software version:

1. From the Home Screen, press “Start”.

2. Select “Settings”.

3. Continue selecting the “More” option until you see “Device Information”

4. Select “Device Information”.

5. Check the ROM version. If your device software version is not 1.11.531.5, then please download the most recent software version and follow the upgrade instructions.

This software release includes:

• Five free ring tones from popular movies and musicians.
  • Two free full length songs.
  • An assortment of free phone wall paper images.
  • Audio Postcard, a fun new myFaves connecting experience.
  • Enhanced myFaves and menu graphics.
  • Improved text entry experience.

Has to be worth having right? :)

More specifically the 2 free songs are 'Ants Marching' by the Dave Matthews Band, and 'Girlfriend' by Avril Lavigne (take what you will re: the device target market from those!). Shadow site 'allshadow' also has some additional lowdown on what exactly is updated in the update OS wise...

- users can now hide the Setup E-mail plug-in from the home screen.

Once the user has setup their desired E-mail account(s), they can hide the Setup E-mail plug in with one easy click.

- the comm manager and web browser graphics have been remodeled.

- Large E (Edge) icon in the middle of the top of the phone has been removed.

There are currently 2 Edge or GPRS indicators on the device. One in the middle of the top of the screen and one next to the signal bars. The indicator in the middle of the top of the device has been removed. The device will still show the user when they are connected to Edge, or GPRS, but there will only be one indicator next to the signal bars.

- When the Media Player is being used, and the user presses the End key while on the homescreen, the song that is playing will pause.

- The multiple alarm issue is fixed. When users set an alarm for one specific time, and then another for a different time, the device will no longer go off at both times or any time for previous set alarms.

- Negative SMS/MMS indicator is fixed. At random there was an issue with software 1.03.531.4, where the message indicator would show a negative number instead of a positive number when a new message was received.

- The device will now hang up an active call when the slider is closed. When the user has completed an active call they can simply slide the device closed to hang up the call.[

So well worth having for the ridiculous alarm bug and the close-to-hangup change!

[Edited by Paul (MVP) for news, thanks for the post!]

Guest trickinit
Is this real? :) I saw this on the tMobile site this morning but have not heard of anyone who tired it yet. If you have the new firmware installed on your phone please post comments. I would like to know the differences.

http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/...tm23554.htm#top

lol.. I just posted a topic about this too... I guess I should have read the new posts before.

we can only hope some better changes to the UI has been made. the ROM version has been upgraded from 1.03.531.4 to 1.11.531.4 some im assuming its mostly just changes to the UI, security patches, perhaps a few more things but nothing to major.

if they are doing what i think they are (sony does the same thing) it sholdnt be a major change, just a decent change.

think how sony roles:

Sony:

i will use the example of the psp. the psp first came out with 1.50 (in the USA) which they upgraded to 1.51 and then 1.52 and those updates only contained security patches, and better mp3 support (very little changes to the software). then they release 2.00 which included another setting (Network) and the internet browser in the XMB. from this we all assume that when the change the last to digits in their firmware, its does as such (last digit=small update. normally security patch. middle digit=minor update. probably increasing security and adding more support to already implamented software. first digit=major updating. probably increasing/changing the main features/functionality.) as you can see sony does this for pretty much all the hardware. their psp, ps3, come phones, etc.

now this changing from 1.03.531.4 to 1.11.531.4 shows a change to the X.03.XXX.X which i am assuming will be the same as a minor change. i only see them changing th already loaded software rather then changing the complete software. they will strengthen the security (we all know that) and as i said, update the UI and probably increase some playback or something.

Guest feoysolo
now this changing from 1.03.531.4 to 1.11.531.4 shows a change to the X.03.XXX.X which i am assuming will be the same as a minor change.

Well, from what I can tell (if the screenshots of the Dash upgrade FAQ on the T-Mobile site are to be believed) those second two numbers make a little more difference than you believe. As far as I know, the only T-Mobile software upgrade released for the Dash was from WM5 to WM6 and in the middle of the Dash upgrade FAQ here it shows the image version upgrading from 1.11.531.1 to 1.22.531.4. If those numbers are to be believed, then the two digits after the first decimal point indicate a fairly significant change in software.

Not wanting to get too optimistic here or anything, but I'll be interested to see what T-Mobile has in store for us Shadow owners.

Edited by feoysolo

Guest shadow mike
we can only hope some better changes to the UI has been made. the ROM version has been upgraded from 1.03.531.4 to 1.11.531.4 some im assuming its mostly just changes to the UI, security patches, perhaps a few more things but nothing to major.

if they are doing what i think they are (sony does the same thing) it sholdnt be a major change, just a decent change.

think how sony roles:

Sony:

i will use the example of the psp. the psp first came out with 1.50 (in the USA) which they upgraded to 1.51 and then 1.52 and those updates only contained security patches, and better mp3 support (very little changes to the software). then they release 2.00 which included another setting (Network) and the internet browser in the XMB. from this we all assume that when the change the last to digits in their firmware, its does as such (last digit=small update. normally security patch. middle digit=minor update. probably increasing security and adding more support to already implamented software. first digit=major updating. probably increasing/changing the main features/functionality.) as you can see sony does this for pretty much all the hardware. their psp, ps3, come phones, etc.

now this changing from 1.03.531.4 to 1.11.531.4 shows a change to the X.03.XXX.X which i am assuming will be the same as a minor change. i only see them changing th already loaded software rather then changing the complete software. they will strengthen the security (we all know that) and as i said, update the UI and probably increase some playback or something.

Hey midian.... Mike[dot] :)

I agree totally. and i tried to update my shadow because of my knowledge of the psp but it didnt work....

if you have any good tips for the shadow pm me at hacks.

@herbal:

i dont think they can make better use of the battery without making it bigger. the hardware requires alot of power and the battery gets drained. their software cant effect the power need of the hardware. it can but very little.

@feoysolo:

hmmm....good point. maybe i could be wrong but i never get my hopes up only to be dissapointed but Microsofts/T-Mobiles lack of love for us lol.

@shadow mike:

damn it!!! you come here to. lol bad enough i had to deal with you over at psp-hacks lol jk.

so whats been goin on? as im sure you know i got banned :) but i can come back at midnight and i have to thank yoko lol.

and finally @feoysolo...again:

well professional is ONLY used in PDA phones not smartphones lol. the T-Mobile Wing runs WM6 Pro but its a PDA phone and a bunch of other PDA's run it as well.

all WM smartphones run Standard so im not totaly sure if we will be seeing the same updates but it would be nice!

that SMS Chat looks cool, as far as Speed goes, the Shadow uses a TI processor that goes at 201mhz. Im sure if they added some speed to it, they are over-clocking it. Over-clocking will add speed BUT it will reduce battery life!!, Getting started......i know how to use WM -__- i have been using it for a long time to!, Zooming will be very good when reading pages in desktop mode!!, and we already have One Note lol. So they will probably just add the abbility to make documents with Word or/and Excel.

Even on the site they say "In conclusion, as might see the WM6.1 Professional, has no changes of substance, but small improvements in relation to the previous version, which will not be so in the version WM6.1 Standard (smartphones) will be a strong and important remodeling of how to bring more of \ \ \ "PocketPC \ \ \" in functions and capabilities."

and well its pretty much what i said. So for now im assuming im right lol

lol a little update:

WM 6.1 is already on the Moto Q9! i assume the shadow will get similar updates (if not all the same and an updated UI):

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/12/03/...n-100-pictures/

LINK1)

contains 100 pictures of it and features

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/07/video-w...ows-mobile-6-1/

LINK2)

video walkthrough of WM6.1 on the Q9

Guest aron7awol
i was just on the phone with tmo pda department and they claimed not to know anything about an update for the shadow

Word on HoFo is that it will be released Monday. Not sure what that source of that info is, though.

Guest feoysolo
and finally @feoysolo...again:

well professional is ONLY used in PDA phones not smartphones lol. the T-Mobile Wing runs WM6 Pro but its a PDA phone and a bunch of other PDA's run it as well.

all WM smartphones run Standard so im not totaly sure if we will be seeing the same updates but it would be nice!

Even on the site they say "In conclusion, as might see the WM6.1 Professional, has no changes of substance, but small improvements in relation to the previous version, which will not be so in the version WM6.1 Standard (smartphones) will be a strong and important remodeling of how to bring more of \ \ \ "PocketPC \ \ \" in functions and capabilities."

and well its pretty much what i said. So for now im assuming im right lol

Dude, I am well aware that smartphones run WM Standard. If you read a little closer you will see that the line you quoted clearly says that WM6.1 will not bring that many changes in functionality to touchscreen (yeah, WM6.1 PROFESSIONAL) devices, but smartphone users are in for some notable improvements.

Also, I am aware of what overclocking can do to battery life, but that's irrelevant. Speed improvements can be made to the ROM itself, dontcha know. I am also a longtime Windows Mobile user and have modded the crap out of every device I've ever had and FYI the SP5m Rom was a lot faster on my SDA and the HardSPL Rom worked far better than the original T-Mobile Wing Rom, neither of which was dependent on overclocking. Extra speed can be achieved through improvements in the software, and if we're lucky, so can overall battery life.

Finally, that cool zooming feature is already available through Opera Mini which is now the only internet browser I will use on my Shadow. I suggest you check it out whether this whole T-Mobile update thing vapors out or not.

Edited by feoysolo

@feoysolo:

lol calm down kid. just saying you ain gotta go all "im mr.pro" on me. im just saying.

i never said you didnt know what over-clocking would do, yes you know you can increase speed to the ROM making the phone faster but that still kills battery life so it doesnt matter.

Guest the_matrixx

I'm checking right now to see when it'll really be there. I've heard everything from Monday, to a few days, to what update? Also, I hope this includes WM 6.1 and not just other things because I've been testing the new browser for a while and I can't wait to see how the final version turned out.

I'm checking right now to see when it'll really be there. I've heard everything from Monday, to a few days, to what update? Also, I hope this includes WM 6.1 and not just other things because I've been testing the new browser for a while and I can't wait to see how the final version turned out.

What browser are you talking about: Deepfish?

Guest the_matrixx
I doubt it.

Maybe on WM7.

Yes I am talking about Deepfish. From the pics I've seen of the browser in 6.1 it has some very similar characteristics. I'm just waiting to see when and what is actually in this. I can't believe there isn't a TMobile person on here that has info.

Guest feoysolo
Yes I am talking about Deepfish. From the pics I've seen of the browser in 6.1 it has some very similar characteristics. I'm just waiting to see when and what is actually in this. I can't believe there isn't a TMobile person on here that has info.

Someone smarter than myself theorized in one of the several forums I visit that Deepfish was never intended to be released by that name. Deepfish was just a means to test some features to later be incorporated into pocket IE, much like in Windows Mobile 6.1, which is what I am hoping (quite possibly in vain) is what will be incorporated into the Shadow update whenever it is released.

Edited by feoysolo

Guest the_matrixx
Someone smarter than myself theorized in one of the several forums I visit that Deepfish was never intended to be released by that name. Deepfish was just a means to test some features to later be incorporated into pocket IE, much like in Windows Mobile 6.1, which is what I am hoping (quite possibly in vain) is what will be incorporated into the Shadow update whenever it is released.

Deepfish is/was just a codename just like Longhorn, and it is/was to test future PIE features.

Guest aron7awol

OMG it's available!

http://www.t-mobileshadow.com/

Version 1.11.531.5

1. Five free ring tones from popular movies and musicians.

2. Two free full length songs.

3. An assortment of free phone wall paper images.

4. Audio Postcard, a fun new myFaves connecting experience.

5. Enhanced myFaves and menu graphics.

6. Improved text entry experience.

I'm hoping it includes some bugfixes as well, although they aren't listed.

Guest chriaxx

Has anyone tried this out yet? Is it worth thes "extras"?

OMG it's available!

http://www.t-mobileshadow.com/

Version 1.11.531.5

1. Five free ring tones from popular movies and musicians.

2. Two free full length songs.

3. An assortment of free phone wall paper images.

4. Audio Postcard, a fun new myFaves connecting experience.

5. Enhanced myFaves and menu graphics.

6. Improved text entry experience.

I'm hoping it includes some bugfixes as well, although they aren't listed.

Guest feoysolo
Has anyone tried this out yet? Is it worth thes "extras"?

Good god, I'm not going to bother. Oh well, maybe this release can help someone cook up a real upgrade?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.