Emails deleted on TyTN II stay in Outlook inbox...

Guest Paul Miller

Guest Paul Miller

Thanks but that thread is about IMAP, and that doesn't apply to me. I'm using the ActiveSync "as items arrive" setting with my Microsoft Exchange server. As far as I know, any time there is a change in any folder at either end, the operation is applied to the corresponding item at the other end.

Guest hotphil

That's how it should work. It's not completely instant, can take a couple of minutes to sort itself out i.e. if you delete a mail on the phone, it may take a while to disappear from your Outlook inbox on your PC.

Guest Paul Miller
That's how it should work. It's not completely instant, can take a couple of minutes to sort itself out i.e. if you delete a mail on the phone, it may take a while to disappear from your Outlook inbox on your PC.

That would be fine, but in my case they don't ever disappear from my Outlook inbox on my pc...

Guest jimbouk

So you have an exchange server account and use directpush. You get notified of new mail. If you read the mail, does it change the item on outlook to from "unread" to "read"?

There is always a slight time lag between reading/deleting items on the mobile device before the change is replicated on your outlook - although in my case its usually only a few seconds.

Guest jimbouk

I always use cached and just ran a test.

Sent email at 10.16 from a pop account to my work email address (exchange server)

Email arrived at 10.17 on device and in outlook. Read email on device. Deleted email.

The email remained on outlook until I received another email which thus forced device to sync.

I am happy with that as it means the the device isnt syncing up after I read/delete an email and i thus saving battery/data.

Guest Paul Miller
So you have an exchange server account and use directpush. You get notified of new mail. If you read the mail, does it change the item on outlook to from "unread" to "read"?

Yes

There is always a slight time lag between reading/deleting items on the mobile device before the change is replicated on your outlook - although in my case its usually only a few seconds.

It's not just a time lag of a few minutes -- hours i've deleted an item from the inbox on my phone, it's still in my Outlook inbox.

Guest Paul Miller
The delay can be longer depending on network connectivity. What really seems to kill my Outlook is if I have it running in cached Exchange mode.

I do use cached mode (don't know what I would do without it!).

Guest Paul Miller
I always use cached and just ran a test.

Sent email at 10.16 from a pop account to my work email address (exchange server)

Email arrived at 10.17 on device and in outlook. Read email on device. Deleted email.

The email remained on outlook until I received another email which thus forced device to sync.

I am happy with that as it means the the device isnt syncing up after I read/delete an email and i thus saving battery/data.

Tried that same test, didn't get the same results.

Anyway, I don't think that's actually how DirectPush works, in the sense that with DirectPush there is a connection open all the time, kept open by the so-called "heartbeat"; it's not a matter of syching.

That said, even when I DO force a full sync, stuff deleted on my phone STILL doesn't get deleted from Outlook!

Guest Paul Miller

Now I'm noticing that it doesn't work the other way 'round either -- when I delete mails from my Outlook inbox, they stay in my phone inbox.

The thing is that this did not used to be the case.