GPS / SAT NAV QUESTION

Guest 3djimbo

Guest 3djimbo

Hello all,

I'm due to upgrade in a month from my Vario II to a Vario III and am considering getting the copilot live for it. What i'd like to know is, when my contract expires what happens to the GPS / SAT NAV on the Vario III handset? Does it die along with the old phone or will i still be able to use the handset as a GPS / SAT NAV system?

If it'll be unable to be used after the contract expires then i assume that i might aswell get a TomTom as this wont be useless after 18 months?

I apologise if this has been covered in another thread but due to a stern boss i couldn't spend too much time looking around the forums for it! If it has been covered, can you point me in the right direction please?

Any help or advice will be very gratefully recieved.

Thanks in advance

3DJimbo

Guest hotphil

I imagine the CP license is for life. Traffic updates or other services may only be valid for the same length as your mobile contract. That's how it was when I got CP6 with my MDA Vario.

Guest Shadowfixeruk
I imagine the CP license is for life. Traffic updates or other services may only be valid for the same length as your mobile contract. That's how it was when I got CP6 with my MDA Vario.

Seems to be that way with CoPilot 7 also - i just bought a copy from www.handtec.co.uk who were the cheapest i could find online and had fantastic delivery.... i ordered it at 1.15 on the Wednesday and it was delivered before i left for work on the Thursday (about 8am)...

You don't get "live" services out of the box with the version i bought - CPL7 wasn't bundled with the Vario III when i bought it (i don't know if TMob are bundling it now...) - my local tmobile store wanted about £140 for the Europe & UK version....

HTH

SF

Edited by Shadowfixeruk

Guest 3djimbo
You don't get "live" services out of the box with the version i bought - CPL7 wasn't bundled with the Vario III when i bought it (i don't know if TMob are bundling it now...) - my local tmobile store wanted about £140 for the Europe & UK version....

Yeah, i would have to pay for it but i dont mind paying £140 to have a TomTom style piece of software that will work for life (or for longer than my 18 month contract anyway) so i wont have to buy another in the future, but if i'm only going to get 18 months worth our of it i may as well just buy a TomTom.

So if i have the CP licence for life will the handset work for life?

Guest hotphil
So if i have the CP licence for life will the handset work for life?
I can't confirm for CP7, but for my CP6 that I bought with a previous handset I simply followed the published deactivate/reactivate procedure to transfer the software to my new device (Kaiser) and all was well (even automatically picked up the inbuilt GPS with no hassles). As I bought my CP6 as a bundle with an MDA Vario, the licence details I had were that the Live services (traffic/tracking etc) would only last 18 months (the length of my contract). However, they're still going strong well after that period :)

They *may* have changed the licensing for CP7, so the thing to do is open an enquiry on the manfacturers' (ALK) site - don't just ask a T-Mobile bod - you'll either get a well-intentioned but not-informed "yes", or a "yes" to get you out the door with a sale made - speak to ALK.

Also, it's worth a barter on the price of the CP7 bundle, you should be able to get that right down!