MSN Direct

Guest the_matrixx

Guest the_matrixx

Hopefully one of you smarter UI people can get this to work with Neo. Microsoft has released a capability for WM devices to get MSN Direct content but it interfaces with the normal UIs. Here's the link to the article and download, http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2...irectMWCPR.mspx. I've installed it and there is a dll along with xml files but I am not that smart on interfacing this stuff. I think it would be awesome if someone can get this to work with Neo.

Hopefully one of you smarter UI people can get this to work with Neo. Microsoft has released a capability for WM devices to get MSN Direct content but it interfaces with the normal UIs. Here's the link to the article and download, http://www.microsoft.com/Presspass/press/2...irectMWCPR.mspx. I've installed it and there is a dll along with xml files but I am not that smart on interfacing this stuff. I think it would be awesome if someone can get this to work with Neo.

The problem is there isn't enough space on the Neo interface to place this plugin. The best we have is a 27 pixel high space at the top, where the status bar usually resides. This plugin is 57 pixels high. If you want to see how it would turn out to be, you can try this -

Find the xml file for you current theme - somewhere in \Application Data\Home. If its the default theme, it would be cmhome.home.xml.

Copy it to your PC and open it in notepad. Take a backup!!

Look through the file for entries starting as

Replace the first entry starting with with the following:

Save , copy the file back then reload Neo.

Use the backup to revert back.

Guest badbob001

I've seen smartphone today screens where the missed call element, when visible, is large enough to take up the whole screen and thus pushes all the other elements outside of the viewing area. I wonder if it's possible to make a plug-in that is invisible but takes up the whole screen (pushing neo out of the way temporarily) when made visible via external trigger (eg: side button). I suspect neo will not allow itself to be pushed off the screen. I wonder if neo can be made invisible...

I'm thinking... there are so many great today screens out there, all loaded up with great plug-ins. Why not just use dockstation to swap the entire today screen to one without neo but loaded with all the plug-ins you want. And when you're done, swap back. But I suspect many of those plug-ins depend on the plug-in being in the active today screen to update itself.

Guest Cyber Buddhah
The problem is there isn't enough space on the Neo interface to place this plugin.

How about Neo DockStation to execute an XML file with the plugin, in the full screen mode. Use the shortcut key to close it or switch back to NEo. In a way, it's not "docked" any more.

Guest the_matrixx
The problem is there isn't enough space on the Neo interface to place this plugin. The best we have is a 27 pixel high space at the top, where the status bar usually resides. This plugin is 57 pixels high. If you want to see how it would turn out to be, you can try this -

Find the xml file for you current theme - somewhere in \Application Data\Home. If its the default theme, it would be cmhome.home.xml.

Copy it to your PC and open it in notepad. Take a backup!!

Look through the file for entries starting as

Replace the first entry starting with with the following:

Save , copy the file back then reload Neo.

Use the backup to revert back.

I tried this and it sucked. I kinda like the other thoughts on here. What about just adding another Neo UI link like messages,etc. that displays the MSN Direct xml code?

I've seen smartphone today screens where the missed call element, when visible, is large enough to take up the whole screen and thus pushes all the other elements outside of the viewing area. I wonder if it's possible to make a plug-in that is invisible but takes up the whole screen (pushing neo out of the way temporarily) when made visible via external trigger (eg: side button). I suspect neo will not allow itself to be pushed off the screen. I wonder if neo can be made invisible...

I'm thinking... there are so many great today screens out there, all loaded up with great plug-ins. Why not just use dockstation to swap the entire today screen to one without neo but loaded with all the plug-ins you want. And when you're done, swap back. But I suspect many of those plug-ins depend on the plug-in being in the active today screen to update itself.

I have also seen that "push" behavior in other home screens. But with Neo on, something else goes on. Just to test, I added three separate plugins before adding the Neo plugin. I was expecting that since Neo was added last, only part of it would be visible. But, it seems Neo just "ate" two other plugins to make space for itself. The problem comes from the height of the plugin which seems to be hardcoded into the code.

The other thought could be possible. What we are essentially asking is to just switch the whole theme - say for example from NeoDock to Windows Basic - we can anyways do that from the settings, but we are asking a one click access to the theme. About the refresh, every time a plugin is loaded, it will run through its refresh routines. As long as you have it on the screen, it shall run as usual. When you switch back, you no longer want it to refresh.

How about Neo DockStation to execute an XML file with the plugin, in the full screen mode. Use the shortcut key to close it or switch back to NEo. In a way, it's not "docked" any more.

This can work as well. MSNDirect now offers Weather, Stocks, and News info. I do not know if that is a lot of information, but of course, if a plugin gives access to loads of info, one might just want to have a quick access to it.

All in all, I am looking at this requirement - Some plugins are worth having a quick access to - like Facade may be! They are not loadable in Neo because of space constraint. I need to modify the dockstation so that, apart from being able to load single plugins on the top status bar area, it should also be able to load a full fledged plugin(s) in a standalone interface, and then provide a way to come back. Is that so?

Guest the_matrixx
I have also seen that "push" behavior in other home screens. But with Neo on, something else goes on. Just to test, I added three separate plugins before adding the Neo plugin. I was expecting that since Neo was added last, only part of it would be visible. But, it seems Neo just "ate" two other plugins to make space for itself. The problem comes from the height of the plugin which seems to be hardcoded into the code.

The other thought could be possible. What we are essentially asking is to just switch the whole theme - say for example from NeoDock to Windows Basic - we can anyways do that from the settings, but we are asking a one click access to the theme. About the refresh, every time a plugin is loaded, it will run through its refresh routines. As long as you have it on the screen, it shall run as usual. When you switch back, you no longer want it to refresh.

This can work as well. MSNDirect now offers Weather, Stocks, and News info. I do not know if that is a lot of information, but of course, if a plugin gives access to loads of info, one might just want to have a quick access to it.

All in all, I am looking at this requirement - Some plugins are worth having a quick access to - like Facade may be! They are not loadable in Neo because of space constraint. I need to modify the dockstation so that, apart from being able to load single plugins on the top status bar area, it should also be able to load a full fledged plugin(s) in a standalone interface, and then provide a way to come back. Is that so?

Well I hope you can get this to work because the MSN Direct plug in is really nice in my opinion.

I need to modify the dockstation so that, apart from being able to load single plugins on the top status bar area, it should also be able to load a full fledged plugin(s) in a standalone interface, and then provide a way to come back. Is that so?

If you could pull that off Rinku - that would be pretty trick. What would really be cool would be if there was a way to shove the standard windows home screens into the Neo Home page (the one with the clock and date in it)... but I doubt that's even possible.

If you could pull that off Rinku - that would be pretty trick. What would really be cool would be if there was a way to shove the standard windows home screens into the Neo Home page (the one with the clock and date in it)... but I doubt that's even possible.

I have some of it done!

post-339461-1203042891_thumb.jpg post-339461-1203042915_thumb.jpg

There shall be two different interfaces of the dockstation now.

1) As an add-on to Neo. This would allow one to load a single plugin on the top status bar area.

2) As a standalone plugin viewer. In this mode, you can essentially load one or more plugins, usually not loadable on Neo because of size and selectability problems, and then can return back to Neo when done.

The images above show the addition of MSN Direct to the dockstation, when clicked it opens the standalone interface. You can then return back by clicking on the title bar.

I shall include all these and some more optimizations on the first release. Guess, this should have been part of the dockstation thread.

Guest the_matrixx
I have some of it done!

post-339461-1203042891_thumb.jpg post-339461-1203042915_thumb.jpg

There shall be two different interfaces of the dockstation now.

1) As an add-on to Neo. This would allow one to load a single plugin on the top status bar area.

2) As a standalone plugin viewer. In this mode, you can essentially load one or more plugins, usually not loadable on Neo because of size and selectability problems, and then can return back to Neo when done.

The images above show the addition of MSN Direct to the dockstation, when clicked it opens the standalone interface. You can then return back by clicking on the title bar.

I shall include all these and some more optimizations on the first release. Guess, this should have been part of the dockstation thread.

That looks great, when will you be releasing this?

Edited by the_matrixx

Guest the_matrixx
Perhaps next week!!

Is there any way I can get a copy of the file that you have MSN Direct working in? I really want to start using it. If need be you can email it...it'd really be appreciated.

Is there any way I can get a copy of the file that you have MSN Direct working in? I really want to start using it. If need be you can email it...it'd really be appreciated.

I wouldn't mind sharing it but I must resolve certain issues with the standalone loading before giving it out. Besides, the NeoDock Manager needs to be updated so that you can add plugins to the standalone version. I shall get it done asap. In the meantime, if you really want to run MSN Direct, why don't you just create a shortcut MSNDirect.exe and launch it from there. Anyways, it wouldn't make much sense to launch the standalone only to see MSN Direct, coz its more easily accessible through the exe. I hope you would understand!

Guest the_matrixx
I wouldn't mind sharing it but I must resolve certain issues with the standalone loading before giving it out. Besides, the NeoDock Manager needs to be updated so that you can add plugins to the standalone version. I shall get it done asap. In the meantime, if you really want to run MSN Direct, why don't you just create a shortcut MSNDirect.exe and launch it from there. Anyways, it wouldn't make much sense to launch the standalone only to see MSN Direct, coz its more easily accessible through the exe. I hope you would understand!

I did make a shortcut but you can only run it once. If you get out of it I haven't found a way to re-execute it. Nothing happens when you click on the shortcut a second time. That's why I am waiting for this from you.