HSDPA query

Guest sc0user_75

Guest sc0user_75

Guys, a quick question regarding HSDPA on T-Mobile...

I have the "H" symbol on my Vario III at the top of the home screen, which is the HSDPA symbol. BUT when I connect to the internet I get a message saying "Connecting to the internet - GPRS - 3G". Should this not say HSDPA??? Or am I just being silly? :)

Thanks

Guest shootydogthing

HSDPA is a kind of 3G, is it not?

I don't get it at all in Edinburgh, but I just went to the canary islands, and got HSDPA practically all the time. Weird.

Guest sc0user_75
HSDPA is a kind of 3G, is it not?

I don't get it at all in Edinburgh, but I just went to the canary islands, and got HSDPA practically all the time. Weird.

Thanks Shootydogthing. HSDPA is like 3G but HSDPA is supposed to be a lot quicker I think. So was wondering if when connecting to t'internet should I not be told Im connecting with HSDPA?

Can anyone confirm please :)

AFAIK the connection is made with 3G then switches to HSDPA. Mine does the same (although I'm on 3 Ireland). Once the H replaces the 3G it has switched to HSDPA (and the with the speed increase its pretty obvious too :) )

Guest sc0user_75

Thanks gerryr. mine does exactly what you said - starts off saying its connecting using GPRS 3G, and then the H sign comes up.

Hopefully this is the way its supposed to be :)

Guest madferret

It is. With T-Mobile you only get HSDPA when actually transferring data (i.e. the H symbol). If there is no data transfer it shows the 3G icon if on a 3G network or just G if there is no 3G network. Other networks have different approaches and activate the H symbol all the time, which is why it would suddenly seem to appear on a roaming network.