Just cant SYNC

Guest BenPye

I have recently upgraded to a T-mobile Touch Dual from a T-mobile MDA Vario 2, deciding against the Vario 3

after years of successful Syncing my device it will no longer sync, and my last successful sync is weeks old

I cannot get the device to sync ....with any PC or with a new lead....believe me i have tried, I believe that the mini uSB socket must be damaged.

i need to take calendar, contact details and text/MMS messages from device to device. I do have sprite backup and a mini SD card,

please help me to manually copy the correct files......so that I can start again with a fresh phone but keeping years of contact and calendar entries

I am happy to re-install all other software from scratch.

many thanks for any help provided.

Edited by BenPye

Which version of ActiveSync are you using?

I was using 4.1 and 4.2 but have tried upgrading to 4.5 to resolve the problems with no joy....it is looking very like a device/unit problem and all the time i sit looking at my new Touch in its box with severe frustration!

Is AS actually 'seeing' the device and has problems syncing, or does it just sit there like a wet lettuce unaware there's something connected?

They dont see each other.....

I've had enough of pulling in and pulling out cables and rebooting the device.....with no joy!

Guest pd.ryder

Ok - that just about earns it the name 'knackered'!! I would think its down to the mini-USB on the device, assuming its never connected to anything. Just one last thing - will the bundled headphones connect through the mini-USB? If not, its back to the shop.

I'll assume you've never connected it to your PC, so your last sync will have been with your old Vario II. I'll also assume you have more calender entries made on the Touch, emails, contacts etc which you'll want to move over to the new Touch and ultimately sync with the PC - if there's no new entries to be concerned with don't bother. Just swap out the Touch and re-sync with the PC.

However, if there are new items to carry over, Sprite Backup should be able to copy them to the MiniSD card. I wouldn't recommend doing a full system back-up (limit it to Personal Data) because if your problems do lie within the OS for some odd reason, you'll import the problem into your new Touch (it does sound more hardware related tho...). Sprite Backup will need to be installed on the new Touch and then restore today's backup files. That should be all sorted.

It's also worth mentioning, if you did a Full System backup on the Vario II and try to restore that onto the Touch, it will cause serious crashes due to fundamental differences in their OS's.

:)

The Vario 2 used to Sync fine….but has recently just stopped, The new touch is still virginal, ie its still in the box, and I am currently still using the Vario 2 as it contains my life….(calendar/contacts/texts etc)…and has all upto date entries….Annoying I stupidly deleted the Sync relationship on my PC, attempting to resolve the AS problems, but don’t believe this should matter?

As soon as I get a way to move the lot to the Touch Dual, I will happily port the data and leave the Vario 2 behind and then establish a new Sync relationship with AS.

Do you now exactly what parts I need to restore from the latest Sprite Backup and I’ll it, can always reset and retry the Touch if it doesn’t look right!

I only want contacts/calendar and texts I can happily leave the old emails behind.

I have options for:

Personal Databases

Other Database

MSN Contacts

These look the most likely, I agree that I don’t want the System Settings and File System stuff, as you mentioned above, but what about the System Databases?

Thanks for all your assistance again!

Sync over blutetooth?

This is something I actually tried last night for the first time…..then several hours later, and after continual Bluetooth software crashes, and many PC and device reboots later – still no joy!

Then annoyingly read some line that I must initially establish the AS relationship over USB and I have annoyingly deleted the AS relationship, at one of the stages that I thought that, that might be the cause for the lack of communication between the devices! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Edited by BenPye