charging problem blinking orange LED?

Guest john redcorn

Guest john redcorn

I've had the phone for 3 weeks now and every once in a while, within 10 minutes of putting it on the charger or USB cable, it makes a noise (exclamation I think) the red charging LED goes away, then the led blinks orange 5 or 6 times then the led just goes dark.

If I move it to a different charger or usb cable after its done that it just blinks orange again when put on another charger. if I powercycle the phone it seems to charge normal. any ideas? google is showing nothing about an orange led.

Guest thelostsoul

Definitely sounds like it's trying to tell you something's wrong or that it's failing to charge for some reason.

I'd call samsung and see if they can help you. Or, since you haven't had it that long, take it to an ATT store and see if they'll exchange it.

Guest airboss
I've had the phone for 3 weeks now and every once in a while, within 10 minutes of putting it on the charger or USB cable, it makes a noise (exclamation I think) the red charging LED goes away, then the led blinks orange 5 or 6 times then the led just goes dark.

If I move it to a different charger or usb cable after its done that it just blinks orange again when put on another charger. if I powercycle the phone it seems to charge normal. any ideas? google is showing nothing about an orange led.

I have seen this many times on my BJ2. Each time it has happened when I tried to charge a very low battery while the phone is on after receiving the "main battery is very low" warning. I believe it is telling you that the charge circuitry cannot charge the battery and operate the phone at the same time. If you turn the phone off, you will get the normal red charge led. If you don't let the battery get too low you should have no problem charging normally with the phone on.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jsamuels

So I'm having the same issue of the orange LED. Tried to charge with unit off -- but it starts whenever I plug in the charger. Oh, well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest john redcorn

Ok, to update my problem a bit and see if anyone has any ideas.

I was mistaken in my original post. It never starts with a regular wall or car charger. It always starts with USB, blinks orange. then if I plug it into a regular wall or car charger after the usb problem it blinks orange on them too unless I restart the phone, then its fine on a regular charger.

I always have my usb port on the phone set as mass storage. if the blinking orange light comes on, the drive that is the microsd card half the time disappears from the pc.

I've tried setting it to activesync, same thing.

I have 3 PCs at home and they all have this problem. 1 with xp pro and usb 2.0 ports, 1 older laptop xp pro with usb 1.1 ports and one slackware desktop with 1.1 ports.

I noticed last night the phone seemed to be a bit warm when I notice the orange blinking.

I have a PC at work with xp pro and 2.0 ports that always charges it fine. I have a usb cable from amazon.com up there, I thought maybe my original cable was bad so I took it up to work today and plugged my original cable into that pc and all is fine.

I tried something I read about on the cingular forums, is to go into the power management settings of the usb root hubs and uncheck the "let the pc automatically power off this device" setting, no help.

so, any ideas?

Edited by john redcorn

Guest jonathanbaker1

Wierd.. I would back up whatever you need to and take it back to ATT immediately. You're gettin close to the 30 days probably (the 30 no-questions-asked days). Of course you still have your 1-year Samsung warranty, but stick ATT with the problem while you still can. If you don't want to do that, at least call Samsung and see what they say.

[[i doubt it's your PCs, and you ruled out the cable, so it must be the phone]]

Oh and before you take it back, do a hard reset so the next schmo isn't reading through your texts and selling your friends numbers. The hard reset erases everything and takes it back to "like-new"... to do this, turn the phone off. then hold down the UP direction of the scroll pad while turning it on. it will ask you twice if you're sure you wanna erase everything..

Edited by jonathanbaker1

• 8 months later...
Guest Phelgathon

I'm having this same problem. Has anybody found any fixes?

Right now I'm actually charging with a wall charger while the phone is off. But I can't get a USB charge to charge at all.

Guest john redcorn
I'm having this same problem. Has anybody found any fixes?

Right now I'm actually charging with a wall charger while the phone is off. But I can't get a USB charge to charge at all.

Wow my old thread is back. I've learned a little more about my problem and it's almost the opposite of what arboss said at the top of the thread. (I've hard rest twice and upgraded to wm61 since posting that a long time ago)

Anyway, what I've noticed is, for me the only way to charge via USB is for the battery to be only 1 or 2 bars. if it's 3 or 4 then plugging in to usb will make it blink orange and every subsequent real charger makes it blink orange until I reboot.

But if it's only 1 or 2 bars and I plug in to usb it will charge it all the way back up.