"Installation file is not intended for device" problem

Guest Log1k

Hey all, i've been getting the unsuccessful installation message for a lot of the .cab files i try to put on my phone. I usually save them straight to the storage card and if they dont work from there then i go ahead and put them on the phone memory, but either way the same message pops up. Sometimes i just assume the program wasn't meant to be used with WM6, but it keeps happening to me with things that are said to run fine on the dash (i.e Adobe Flash 7 for pocket pc). Im i doing something wrong?? Thanks for the help

Guest awarner (MVP)

Welcome to the site :D

By the sounds of it you are trying to install PocketPC applications on your Smartphone. They both use different versions of the Windows Mobile operating system and so are still slightly different enough to give compatability issues.

Guest Log1k

Oohhh..... off course. I didn't know WM6 was different in the Pocket PC =o (BTW... anyone know which Adobe Flash works for the dash??)

Thanks for the help.

• 1 year later...
Guest grandma rose
Welcome to the site :)

By the sounds of it you are trying to install PocketPC applications on your Smartphone. They both use different versions of the Windows Mobile operating system and so are still slightly different enough to give compatability issues.

hi you sound like someone who might help me.as i get this message with everything i try to install.

1. i know the windows mobile programs are different for the pocket and smart phone, my question is: would it be possible to install the pocket version into a smartphone?

2. my phones version has had the internet sharing file removed from the windows. is it possible to get that file from someone and just put it back myself?

i have done this sort of thing on pc's before and it has worked. please help if you can. also do u have any links which contain programs for smartphones? i have had a pocket pc for 8 years and am now trying to adjust to not having what i what and for an old spoiled woman this is not pretty :D

my smartphone is a sch-i220 (runs wm 6.1) which i don't consider to be the least bit smart... thanks