The official HTC Shift 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest LordDeath
In the first post!

P

OMG, I can't see it. :D

edit: Ok, first time, where Adblock Plus for Firefox blocked wrong content...

Edited by LordDeath

Guest citivolus

Paul,

could you report on the performance of using the built-in webcam with Skype for videoconferencing?

can you access the 40gig hard drive from the Snapvue side or does it have its own flash storage?

can you use the fingerprint scanner for scrolling webpages?

thanks.

Edited by citivolus

Guest Paul (MVP)

The webcam is great for skype.

The Snapvue side only has limited internal storage.

Not tried the fingerprint reader for scrolling, but don't think so.

P

Guest citivolus
hmmm... paul contact me if u like to have full wm6 on their. its all there just hidden.... check xda's shift forum to see what im talking about. its Pawel062 from xda btw.

Paul, have you tried this? Having full WM6 on the Shift will make my purchase decision a no-brainer.

thanks!

Guest leo-balou

Paul,

I have my Shift and think over-all its a good device. I have had some issues with the wi-fi but have now overcome this.

Main issue I have is when using the device as a tablet and want to logon to my domain there is no way of sending CTRL+ALT+DEL without using the slide-out keyboard. Apparantly there should be some form of "Windows Security button". Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest Sonicr360

Have to admit, but I for one am not impressed with this device. It certainly isnt what I would class as portable usage (only a few hours with 3G).

Vista may run ok, but as soon as you start multi tasking with multiple apps, thats when you start to think "hmmmmm.... maybe not a replacement laptop".

STill happy-ish with the TYTN II, but like everything, something else will come along, better, faster, smaller and superior.

Give it time. I for one would not be rushing out to obtain one, let alone watch the video or read any other reviews on the device.

Please your happy with it paul.... each to their own :D

Simon

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Paul,

I have my Shift and think over-all its a good device. I have had some issues with the wi-fi but have now overcome this.

Main issue I have is when using the device as a tablet and want to logon to my domain there is no way of sending CTRL+ALT+DEL without using the slide-out keyboard. Apparantly there should be some form of "Windows Security button". Any ideas?

Thanks

I wonder if you can turn on Vista's accesibility options, so that you dont need to do ctl-alt-del.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Nice device, but for the price isnt something id want to shell out on right now.

I think the EEE PC and the TyTN II pretty much offer the same but in two devices.

Guest Sonicr360

I agree with that "WearTheFoxHat".

There is alot of fuss over UMPC - sadly, its just not there yet! Give it a few more years, and maybe. Just maybe.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mike550

Got my Shift but have some problems including some bad sectors on the hard drive, a stuck pixel and a propensity to reset itself while working in Vista. The supplier is being less than helpful and I want to quantify the problem, would anyone with a 'good' machine tell me what the hard drive capacity should be (Computer/Local Disk C/Properties). After running CHKDSK with autofix, mine is showing a capacity of 34.2 GB (36,774,174,720 bytes) is this normal?

Cheers

Mike

Guest Mickeyace

I love my shift but would really like a larger drive so I can carry more stuff with me. What are the thoughts on upgrading the dive? Has anyone tried to open the device yet. I saw some pictures of the FCC opening it. It looks like the torx screws are under the battery compartment is there any other screws? What about transfering the data? I have imaged drives many times but usually laptop drives not the 1.8 drive in this. Is there a way to hook 2 of these up at once. (Via USB adapter) Any help would be great. Thank You. :D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest MNI-Telecare

Hey guys!

Im working at Telecare, a danish workshop for cellphones and UMPC's. Recently I got HTC's Shift in my hands, and at the moment im trying to figure out HOW to get it apart. I have been searching everywhere for a guide or somekind of tutorial, but without any luck, and HTC is to slow to send us the the guide. Maybe you would know where to find it?

Thanks in advance!

Malte Nielson

Technician

Telecare

www.telecare.dk

[email protected]

• 3 months later...
Guest Pierce

So I'm in New York City and would really love to own a HTC Shift. However I'm new to this and so I have a really simple question. I have a Verizon Wireless unlimited data plan. Would I be able to pair it up with the Shift so I can send and receive sms and have total connectivity? What would I need to have in order ot do that? Thanks

Guest Mickeyace
So I'm in New York City and would really love to own a HTC Shift. However I'm new to this and so I have a really simple question. I have a Verizon Wireless unlimited data plan. Would I be able to pair it up with the Shift so I can send and receive sms and have total connectivity? What would I need to have in order ot do that? Thanks

I have been using my ATT Tilt and pairing it with my phone using ICS internet connection sharing. I recently switched to use a 3g sim card from att. It works great too. Either way will work as long as you have a windows mobile phone. I know that there are other ways to do this too. Some carries I think verizon has a special software you download to the computer and connect the usb cable to your phone and the Shift. The best deal I found was go to ATT get a cheap phone like razor or something buy the media connect for $15.00 per month when you walk out the door dump the phone and keep the sim slip it into your shift and off you go. Just dont abuse the service they will cut you off if you do. Most data plans have a max of 5gb and the media connect does too but I try to stay under 2gb to keep them from wondering.

• 2 years later...
Guest pizzleini

For the life of me I cannot configure my T-Mobile 3g.... ;)

It receives text messages... shows full bars... but no data connection.\

Any Links or insight? Thank you very very much! :P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.