The official Asus P750 'ask nedge' thread

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest dudegalea
Any one from UK who just got the new P750 from Expansys with the english rom, who can tell us what version it is?

I think this is the version (from the About app):

5.2.1623 (Build 18129.0.4.5)

Guest dudegalea
Try Start\Settings\System\System Information\Version\ROM-version : ? Thx...

Ah, gotcha...

V4.8.1 WWE_EN00

Rom date: 2007/12/14

Edited by dudegalea

Guest dudegalea

After a couple of days use, a few (minor) snags have come up...

1. Sometimes the auto-lock facility 'forgets' its settings. So instead of a 2 hour timeout, it resets to 0 minutes, which means it never auto locks.

2. Windows Mobile still hasn't fixed the (very) long running problem of creating unwanted duplicate alarms. This problem seems to have been in every Windows Mobile OS I've tried since the beginning, so I'm not surprised it's still there. (SKTools, among other apps, can clear them up.)

3. Sometimes the auto-power off doesn't work. The brightness fades after the appropriate timeout, but the device just never switches off.

4. The Location Courier app can't actually send an SMS. (And yes, SMS sending does work on the PDA.) Not a major problem for me, but as that's pretty much all the app has to do, you'd have thought it could manage it. :D

As I said, minor snags. All in all, I still love it.

(Not a snag, but it's a shame that the P750 doesn't include the GPRS details for networks, like the TyTN II does. Not a problem for me, but it makes it a bit harder for the non-technical user to get data working.)

Guest dudegalea
4. The Location Courier app can't actually send an SMS. (And yes, SMS sending does work on the PDA.) Not a major pro

Correction:

The Location Courier can't understand international format phone numbers. So I have to change my +44xxx numbers to 0xxx when entering them.

When it's working, it's actually pretty cool. On the receiving end, you get an SMS containing a hyperlink to Google Maps. If you click it, you get a small GIF map of the appropriate area.

Guest Sørensen

Amplificator has made this CAB-file that makes it really easy to install the following xT9 languages:

* Danish

* German

* English

* Spanish

* Finnish

* French

* Italian

* Norwegian

* Russian

* Swedish

Just follow the guide on his site:

http://www.ampcore.dk/Product.aspx?id=7

PS it's only working on ASUS's official rom.

Is the WWE_en00 rom available at all to download from anywhere?

I want to try the VGA rom but would lik to get it back to factory default if possible.

Thanks

Guest JD1973
I want to try the VGA rom but would lik to get it back to factory default if possible.
How are you finding the device? I notice you also have the Kaiser & i780, how does it compare?

Been tempted to get an unlocked i780 but the GPS not being entirely open to applications as default is putting me off, having to use applications such as GPSgate and portsplitter for TomTom to use the GPS adds to complexity of setup.

Hi everyone :( I've been reading about the P750 all over the place with much interest, and the comments by you guys on this forum have helped me make the decision to buy it :(

Unfortunately, although I placed my order with expansys when they were supposedly in stock last week, I now have to wait 21 days :D

Anyway I have a couple of questions:

- I read somewhere that it can only record video in QCIF (176x144) - is this true?

- Is it easy to back up SMS onto my PC, and do I have to use Outlook for this?

It's my first time moving to a WM phone, I currently have a SE W810i :( And considering I'm a bit of a geek, that's quite shameful!

Is it possible to update the rom with a micro SD HC card?

Ive followed the guide but the update never starts.

Is it possible to flash the firmware with a 4gig sd?

Thanks

Guest Monolithix

Zigo - you can use Jeyo Mobile Extender (www.jeyo.com) or Raspberry Software Trueconnect (www.raspberrysoftware.com) to back up your SMS messages to Outlook

Zigo - you can use Jeyo Mobile Extender (www.jeyo.com) or Raspberry Software Trueconnect (www.raspberrysoftware.com) to back up your SMS messages to Outlook

Thanks. But I was wondering if you have to use Outlook, ie. I'd prefer not to :D

Guest richair

How is the one-handed-ness of the P750? My main worry switching from a WM Standard (I have a Qtek 8310 now) to a WM Professional phone is the need to use a stylus to do certain common things (e.g., looking up a phone number or appointment, or switching profiles).

So my question is, how do you P750-owners experience this, and does the keypad help in any way (for instance, can you use the numbers to select certain menu items)? How much do you (have to) use the stylus and for what types of actions?

I hope to hear from you, thanks.

Guest Amplificator
How is the one-handed-ness of the P750? My main worry switching from a WM Standard (I have a Qtek 8310 now) to a WM Professional phone is the need to use a stylus to do certain common things (e.g., looking up a phone number or appointment, or switching profiles).

So my question is, how do you P750-owners experience this, and does the keypad help in any way (for instance, can you use the numbers to select certain menu items)? How much do you (have to) use the stylus and for what types of actions?

I hope to hear from you, thanks.

It's very easy to use with only one hand.

The only thing I use the touchscreen for is pressing the X-button in the top-right corner (I have Spb Pocket Plus in that corner so I can minimize, close etc.), but that menu can be mapped to a software key if you want to (by using Spb Pocket Plus), so it's actualy not a problem at all.

The profile switching can be done either by a Today plugin, the top bar icon or just by holding the wheel on the left side for a few seconds.. Very easy.

The keyboard does not act like a WM Standard device, so you can't press the buttons when in the Programs, Settings or the Start menu and go straight to the 6th icon etc.

For simply looking up a phone number the 2nd softkey is mapped to Contacts, or you can access it from the Start menu which got it's own dedicated button.

You can also press the call-button to open up the same screen as on a WM Standard device with access to contacts etc. with 3 buttons on the touchscreen (very touch-friendly and one-handed friendly also)

Using Spb Pocket Plus you can map keys to certain programs if you'd like so you can go straight to creating an sms or whatever you want.

So to sum it up, this is really a one-handed device. There's no problem using any functions at all with just a single hand.

Edited by Amplificator

Guest Amplificator
Is it possible to update the rom with a micro SD HC card?

Ive followed the guide but the update never starts.

Is it possible to flash the firmware with a 4gig sd?

Thanks

SDHC does not work, it needs to be a non-SDHC.

Guest richair
SDHC does not work, it needs to be a non-SDHC.

I thought the P750 supported SDHC? Or do you mean the ROM update will only work from a non-SDHC card?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.