Connecting Kaiser and iPod to car

Guest RickDawson

Guest RickDawson

I am shortly going to take my driving test, and will be buying my first car.

I have got tom-tom for my mobile, and will buy the maps (only have the one free map at the moment.)

My music is on my computer at home, and I put it on my iPod (2nd generation Nano) to take with me.

The question is... How can I connect both the iPod and the Kaiser in the car so that they will both charge, and output the audio to the car speakers at the same time.

I want to be able to have my iPod play music, and have the tom-tom voice prompts from the kaiser over the music.

Guest KevinAlbrecht
I want to be able to have my iPod play music, and have the tom-tom voice prompts from the kaiser over the music.

That is a tall order me thinks, if you want them to work in sync as they are two separate devices! You would need to have them connected at the very least(which I am not sure can even be done), and then the IPOD would need to have the logic to lower it's volume when the TomTom Kaiser spoke it's speaking. :D

If you are primarily concerned with charging the two, then I am sure your local electronics dept would help you out. My wife & I play our IPOD through a serial jack provided by our car, and the Kaiser can be charged through a cradle...

Guest Shaftypants

Ditch the iPod, bung all your music on the Kaiser, buy a motorola T505 - Bob's your uncle!! Music and voice prompts through the speakers!! :D

Guest RickDawson

what is the normal behaviour, if the head unit was just playing the radio, cd or tape (no external music device) and the kaiser is connected?

I would happily put my music on the mobile, but I have more music than the size of the memory card (6gb)

Looking at the motorola t505 I see that it is bluetooth.

I′d rather hard wire it if possible.

Edited by RickDawson

Guest Stuart_f

You may be better off buying a new car radio to achieve this. One with iPod direct control and 3.5mm jack input will do the trick nicely. Sony have 2 that I've been looking at the CDX-GT44IP and CDX-GT50UI.

You can pick the first one up for around £75 if you shop around. This certainly cures the iPod charging and music playing issue leaving the ciggy socket free for the Kaiser. Not sure if the sony will allow you to mute the music only when there's an input on the 3.5mm jack but right now I just tun my Tytn II up full volume and I hear it ok.

I could mention something about too many distractions in the car when you are still new to driving but I wont!! :D

Guest Mr Alom

I've also been thinking about connecting my Kaiser to my car's standard stereo system. Does anyone know a good way of setting up the kaiser to the stereo WITHOUT CHANGING THE CAR STEREO? Possibly through the input/output aux cable at the back with the mini USB on the other end. Does this cable exsist?

Any other ideas or where I can get this sort of cable?

Edited by Mr Alom

Guest Stuart_f

The AUX sockets are usually phono. A phono to 3.5mm jack lead is a standard item you can get anywhere. The trick now is to convert the 3.5mm plug to mini usb. You can get an adaptor for that on Amazon or if you want to power the device at the same time the adapter Paul arranged a group buy for some time back is excellent.

Guest Shaftypants
I've also been thinking about connecting my Kaiser to my car's standard stereo system. Does anyone know a good way of setting up the kaiser to the stereo WITHOUT CHANGING THE CAR STEREO? Possibly through the input/output aux cable at the back with the mini USB on the other end. Does this cable exsist?

Any other ideas or where I can get this sort of cable?

How about this?

Cable

Guest Mr Alom
How about this?

Cable

Wow! that's great, I'll go and take out my stereo soon to double check if I've got input and output (as it's a standard vauxhall stereo).

Guest Mr Alom
The AUX sockets are usually phono. A phono to 3.5mm jack lead is a standard item you can get anywhere. The trick now is to convert the 3.5mm plug to mini usb. You can get an adaptor for that on Amazon or if you want to power the device at the same time the adapter Paul arranged a group buy for some time back is excellent.

I've got something like that...Y cable from my old MDA Vario II.

Guest Yammeh

When it comes to charging both, you can get something like this. Then you can plug both your kaiser usb lead and ipod usb lead into it and they'll both charge :D

Edited by Yammeh