help connecting to wifi

Guest techlover

Guest techlover

i was wondering if thers any software out there that might help me search for wifi and help me connect to it

i am using wififofum at the moment.. it does provide a good detail of the wifi around me but doesnt help me connect to it...(do i just dont know how to use it ?)

the software on the phone settings>connections>network cards doesnt show all the wifi available

i can connect to wifi at home but its when iam in college that i cannot connect

any help is appreciated

thanks

Guest jimbouk

Turn your wifi on.

Wait for the pop up to tell you it has found a wifi network.

Choose the one you want (if there's more than one)

Click Connect.

if it is encrypted, then it will ask for the wep/wpa key - which you need to get from someone at College.

Then bob is your uncle.

(If it can't see wlans then try moving the slider to max performance in wifi settings)

Guest Stuart_f

I've got to agree with the OP on this one it would be great if there was a way to connect to a network in WiFiFoFum directly.

The following scenarios regularly happen to me:

I'm browsing for an access point and I find 3 or 4 unsecured APs. Generally these are tmob / cytanet / the cloud / airline lounge type hotspots. Sometimes these happen to be near a secure AP I have access to. I connect to the secure AP then move away and the device will drop the connection then jump onto one of the unsecured APs instead as I have previously used them. There's then no "disconnect" button I can find other than turning WiFi off and back on again.

You are roaming around a customer's premises looking for rogue APs that staff have set up. You find a likely looking one in WiFiFoFum but it takes you one million keystrokes to connect to it and discover it's not on the company lan, just some nearby business who doesn't know how to secure their AP. You now cannot then easily disconnect from it and try another. Often WiFiFoFum will show an AP within a second or two of finding it but it can take a minute or so for it to appear in the WiFi options under settings.

Guest jimbouk

If you use the built in Wifi connection manager, you can simply click and hold on any SSID it finds, and select connect, and that will prompt the device to disconnect from the current WLAN and connect to the new one - with WLAN settings you can see the IP address it gives you so you can see if its on your lan.