IMAP PUSH Email

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hi All,

I logged onto my domain hosting website earlier and noticed that they now support "Push Email". The instructions suggest that you should use the IMAP account settings. I am already using all of my email accounts on IMAP, but with a regular update interval.

From searching the forum, I understand that the default email client on the Kaiser does not support IMAP IDLE, which is needed for IMAP PUSH. Am I correct in this understanding?

Secondly, is it supported under WM6.1 if I were to flash the kaiser? (As I have been tempted to upgrade the ROM).

Lastly, if not, what are the recommended email replacements that I may investigate to utilise imap push?

Cheers

wtfh

Guest Subliminal Aura

Gotta install IMAP IDLE on my mail server. Not sure if it handles it already.

However can someone confirm if it'll also push new messages in sub folders in INBOX ?

Cheers

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Yes, you can select which folders you wish Flexmail to sync.

HOWEVER I am having lots of fun with this on my Kaiser. With Flexmail you have a few settings of how you wish to connect:

1) Do not connect, I shall make a manual connection

2) Connect to "Internet"

3) Connect to "Work"

4) Connect to "internet" if not, then connect to "Work"

5) Connect to "Work" if not, then try "Internet"

Because my push email is on my hosted domain, using imap push, I selected "2" connect to internet.

Now, email actually seems to take longer to get to my device then when I had it on 10 minutes sync. Really strange.

I'm not sure if when it's checking over wifi, that if wifi disappears, that it invokes gprs connection. Plus I also have another PC running outlook at all times upstairs, so whether that affects the "push" routine I don't know.

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Guest Subliminal Aura

Right just as I thought this so called 'PUSH MAIL' is a pile of smelly ~~...

It all depends on how long your client takes to issue a NOOP / IDLE check which can be anywhere upto a minute.

Having said that it's still way better than the default polling method and saves battery better than doing IMAP->IM+

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Oh I realise that. I guess my question was more focussed around:

"If IMAP Push is meant to be touted as instant delivery, then why is it less reliable than checking email every 10 mins?"

Guest Subliminal Aura

I'm finding flexmail 4 beta pretty good tbh - imap idle seems to work pretty well.

Only issue I have with the beta is that 'delete doesn't work :|'

ps hotphil yup I know that :D

Guest PayableOnDeath
Oh I realise that. I guess my question was more focussed around:

"If IMAP Push is meant to be touted as instant delivery, then why is it less reliable than checking email every 10 mins?"

it seems to pick up my mail fine and with in seconds of my mail server receiving the email, its loads better than using Z-push over Active sync as that kept marking email as been read while sending it to the phone :D

in your case i would think its a config problem somewhere which is making it worse than check every 10min

Guest PayableOnDeath
I'm not sure if when it's checking over wifi, that if wifi disappears, that it invokes gprs connection. Plus I also have another PC running outlook at all times upstairs, so whether that affects the "push" routine I don't know.

I have IMAP running on my laptop and the emails are still pushed to my phone fine, I dont use it over wifi as that drains that battery too much for me so I have it on GPRS all the time

the settings I have on my accounts are

Fast message check - Off

Use IDLE Mail - ON

Reconnect IDLE periodically - ON

Check Mail on start up - ON

Check Mail every - 340 Mins

try them settings and see how you go