Apple license Exchange Activesync - the iPhone gets true push e-mail!

Guest Monolithix

Guest Mr.Clark

I've been anti iPhone from the beginning, but I did cut down my "essentials" list to 3 things:

Full Exchange integration

3G (and having used it, HSDPA)

Built-in GPS

I gave up on it after I was confidently assured by my new Head of IT a few months ago that Apple would never go to Microsoft and ask for a licence for Exchange.

Now my hopes are raised, and if it ever gets HSDPA and GPS, I'll get one, jailbreak it, and use it on my T-Mob contract...

Guest mcwarre
The IPhone is awesome and truly revolutionary.

Revolutionary my ar$e. All it is is pretty and dammed expensive. You pay the extra for the marketing costs. Being a closed device is unacceptable thee days. Imagine if you can flash it with the forthcoming Android software to make it open. That *may* be tempting.

But at £269 plus £35/month they can forget it - that's £899 for a bl00ming phone!!!

That's enough to get fresh water for 856 people in Ethiopia

Guest Confucious

I like my WinMo becuase of all the things mentioned and I have a few things I install without thinking eg:

Tube London

Lexipedia

CoPilot (although only on my Ameo not my 8500)

etc

Can you do this on the iPhone? If you can it might be worth a look at but the price is prohibitive.

Guest Sonicr360

I forgot about that so called PRICE of iPhone plus 18 month contract...... yes, far too expensive.

I guess if you are a music lover, a teenage kid with money to spend from your parents, then fine ... take it to school, show it off and then see the grease marks from your fingers stay on the screen.

The best place to see the iphone in action is www.willitblend.com :D

Obviously my views are purely mine, but from a technology point..... I am sorry, but it does nothing for me. that is not to say the WM6 Pro is good, but it does the job I guess, and works well.... acts as a phone and from a business use, the Tytn II seems to do what it does on the tin!

Simon

Guest mandt

Am I the only one here who's tired of all the iPhone bashing that goes on in this Forum?

Yes we all know that technically WinMo kicks it's arse! but...

To anyone that hasn't played with an iPhone get yourself to an O2 store and get your hands on it, God I wish my Kaiser was that slick, smooth, and just downright sexy- and don't forget the Kaiser is a high-end device.

For what it is, and what probably most people use it for, the iPhone is awesome, not revolutionary certainly, but very good. Most people have only experienced RAZRs, SEs and Nokias don't forget.

Remember we are a minority user base, who constantly tweak and fiddle with their phones in pursuit of perfection, and often just to get the bloody thing to work properly! Most people do not do this, nor would they want to, and just want something that works out of the box. This is something you can almost never say for Windows Mobile

It's easy to get all geeky and say the iPhone doesn't do this, doesn't do that etc, but a lot of people do not need, or even want to do half the things we do with our phones

Forgat the price, forget that it's a closed platform, even forget for a minute that it's technically inferior, and just look at it AS A PHONE, and you'll see that it's a bloody good one, and knowing Apple it will only get better

Now I'm off to put my Flame-Proof suit on :D

Guest Confucious

Been there seen that.

Impressed with the UI - but that's it.

Over priced and under powered . I'm sure lots of people will like/buy it - just not for me.

We have a contractor at work wh's just come back and he still has the same phone he had 18 months ago - one that I owned years ago.

The Ericsson T68 (before they joined with Sony and changed it to the T68i) as a basic phone it is still fantastic and the battery lasts forever - I gave mine to my Mum and it's ideal for her.

Horses for courses but the iPhone is no big deal IMHO and is wll over priced - but I have no problems with people who disagree with me!

Guest mandt

I agree with absolutely everything you say, it's not for me either, and I love my WinMo. but can also appreciate something from a 'rival' camp

I just get frustrated when people behave like fanboys :D

Guest Confucious

If only I could say that I never had...

Too old to care, too poor to try them all.

I like WinMo and trying things out, it does a heck of a lot - but does have it's frustrations. If something better comes along I'll look at it - and maybe jump ship, but so far I've seen nothing to tempt me.

Guest markdotpeters5

Bah. Just buy whatever's best for you and stop trying to convince the world you're right!

Horses for courses my fellow enthusiasts!

Guest Confucious
Bah. Just buy whatever's best for you and stop trying to convince the world you're right!

Horses for courses my fellow enthusiasts!

Don't be silly!

I am right, everyone else is wrong!

And I couldn't eat a whole horse :D

Guest sonus

As I mentioned above in my list, the Iphone is missing a log of things, but I wouldn't say its technically inferior, closed-yes, technicaly inferior-no. The phone has better hardware specs than just about any other phone on the market today. It has a 620mhz processor, along with 3D hardware acceleration, the best touch screen LCD on the market, and the best model has 16GB storage. The issues are mainly sotware related except for the non-replaceable battery and lack of 3G.

Guest Confucious

Agreed - it's not a bad spec hardware - apart from battery and lack of 3G but for me the s/ware lets it down.

But I read a letter in PCPro today about someone who had the iPod Touch and the first time she connected to iTunes it told her there was a s/ware upgrade and they wanted to charge her £12 for it!!! - am I the only one who thinks this is ludicrous?

Guest Sonicr360

Nope your not. But like I said, if your into "music" on the go, and you want to look cool, the iPhone is probably what you want.

It is poss to have 3rd party apps on there, but the device does nothing for me. Neither does WM6, but the Tytn II works for me (almost!). So I cannot grumble.

Incidently, this is NOT about WM v iPhone, its just my view that even if it comes with active sync, I still would not buy one, because it does nothing for me, from a technology point, UI, price or "must have" feature.

Guest markdotpeters5

it's not just about the ipod functionality. The iPhone shines for me as the best web device out there. WinMO in comparison still WAY behind, although maybe the new Opera on a VGA device might match it.

The screen res on the iPhone is amazing for web surfing too, as is the Nokia E90 to be fair.

Most web pages are fine on Edge anyhow, but 3g would be great for higher bandwidth sites, for youtube and the like. The last thing I bought my iPhone for was to 'look cool'. I wanted one because it's the best device out there for me and does what I want better than any other handset!

crazy notion huh :D

Guest Kimbie

On the whole I am a non mac lover, but then my hatered for them has been built up over 3 years of supporting them in a publishing environment.

I did look at the iphone when it came out as I was using teh XDA Orbit at the time, however the lack of 3g, gps was a big no for me.

The other MAJOR thing is how Apple treats its customer base, not more than 3 months since it was released, they released a bigger version, no extra features just a bigger storage. I can understand doing that after its been out a year, but how pissed would you be if you bought it, 2 weeks later out of the blue a bigger version comes out and you cant change to it?

Perhaps when the new revised European friendly version comes out, and Jobs wont shaft you for buying his kit I will look at it

Kimbie

Guest markdotpeters5

what, you'd rather tech stood still so you don't get upset? :D

I bought an 8gb and I think it's great they've introduced more storage.

Guest jimbouk

I think the iphone's screen is its biggest selling factor for me. Watching movies on the train on an ipod touch/iphone is streets ahead of almost any other device of similar proportions.

With 3g and directpush, I could be persuaded to switch to one.

Guest Confucious

The screen and Safari - which still seems (from what I've seen of it) streets ahead of the browsers on WM.

But, the lack of s/ware and customisation is what puts me off - although I'm sure even on WM most people don't bother!

Guest Kimbie
what, you'd rather tech stood still so you don't get upset? :D

I bought an 8gb and I think it's great they've introduced more storage.

No that is not what Im saying, what I am saying is you are stuck in a 1 year contract with the iphone, what I object to is the way Jobs treats the public. Same thing happened in the states, released it, 6 weeks later chopped $100 off the price, and granted they did get a rebate, but what I do not agree with is the releasing of a product then 3 months releasing the SAME product with a bigger hard drive in it.

Kimbie

Guest nickcornaglia

as I said before I believe both platforms are great depending on your preferences and needs. But I will comment on a couple of points:

1) Price isnt that bad compared to prices of phones from HTC when they first come out. I would think most people here buy non-subsidized phones as soon as they come out. I have paid MORE for PPCs than I have paid for my iPhone. And I usually wind up paying that price every 3 or 4 months to get the next phone. (I always sell my previous phone to help with this habit).

2) iPhone upgrades have been great and steady. I wish MS or HTC would put updates out as quickly as Apple.

3) Why complain about the 16GB version released soon after the 8GB? How many times does HTC do that....EVERY TIME! 3 or 4 months after I bought my Touch, the came out with the enhanced touch....then soon after the Touch Dual. You can never catch up with HTC. Soon after you get settled with one device....they introduce a new one.

4) You need to pay for Touch Updates because that is the only stream of income for that device after it's purchased.

5) I've never understood why people complain about the $100 price reduction. They are passing on their success with the phone to the consumer and because of the timing offered rebates for people who purchased recently. Isnt that a good thing? Plus with most carriers, you have 15 to 30 days to return anyway.

Damn,,,I know I had one BIG point...but I forget what it was! (It was really going to wow everyone and put this in perspective!) DAMN!

Guest Shuflie

I'd like to add a bit about the closed system/no software expansion on the iPhone.

How is the current situation any different from when the first WMSmartphone (the orange SPV) was released? Back then there was no way for users to put together their own software packages and run them on their phones, then some users managed to get around the certificate problems and finally Orange opened the flood gates and provided a proper unlock for end users that wouldn't invalidate their warranties.

Skip forward a year or five and Apple bring out the iPhone, no way to add utilities to it at all (other than those Apple give you). Then a bunch of users get around the problem and jailbreak it allowing you to run anything you like on it (and being unix/linux/darwin based there is a lot of stuff out there that can be made to work on it with very little effort). Finally Apple see the light and release the SDK allowing end users to install extra software without invalidating their warranties.

Do the two stories look quite similar? Sure the Apple way of adding utilities is looking a bit more restirctive, but in the end that may end up being better for the less technically minded user in the long run, and for those that like to fiddle a jailbreak is incredibly easy to do; plus the over the air software installation method provided by installer beats the Activesync method any day.

Guest Confucious
I'd like to add a bit about the closed system/no software expansion on the iPhone.

How is the current situation any different from when the first WMSmartphone (the orange SPV) was released? Back then there was no way for users to put together their own software packages and run them on their phones, then some users managed to get around the certificate problems and finally Orange opened the flood gates and provided a proper unlock for end users that wouldn't invalidate their warranties.

I agree.

In 5 years time the iPhone might be worth a look :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.