Help - File Download blocked?

Guest cannockwolves

Guest cannockwolves

Hi Guys

I don't know if anyone has come across this at all, but I tried to download a few files from the web directly to my Vario III. It's not something I do very offen but i have don't it previously (small videos, PDF files, and CAB files).

But when I tried to day I had a WM error message saying the following;

"This device is restricted from downloading this file type"

This was in internet explorer. I have not flashed the ROM its just the standard T-Mobile set up as it came. I could not download a PDF file, CAB file, or save an image from web site without this message appearing.

I tried while connected to me BT wireless router and via GPRS and it gave me the same problem. I have also tried three different websites. I just can't find any settings that could cause this.

I know I have downloaded files of these types before. Any one got any Idea's

thanks

shaun

Edited by cannockwolves

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Hi Shaun,

I know that certain file types are restricted as they potentially pose a threat. For instance you cannot email yourself cab files, as it blocks the attachment. Therefore I tend to rename them to .txt and then rename to .cab when they are downloaded.

However for Internet Explorer within the Kaiser, I'm not sure. I think you would probably have to do the "Save As" option than download and open.

Could you give me a couple of links to perhaps try and I can look into it. I can't think of any cab links off the top of my head.

PDF files, I don't know why they would cause a problem. I know there are security concerns too, but should still let you save them.

Video ... is that filetype still associated with Media Player?

Guest cannockwolves
Hi Shaun,

I know that certain file types are restricted as they potentially pose a threat. For instance you cannot email yourself cab files, as it blocks the attachment. Therefore I tend to rename them to .txt and then rename to .cab when they are downloaded.

However for Internet Explorer within the Kaiser, I'm not sure. I think you would probably have to do the "Save As" option than download and open.

Could you give me a couple of links to perhaps try and I can look into it. I can't think of any cab links off the top of my head.

PDF files, I don't know why they would cause a problem. I know there are security concerns too, but should still let you save them.

Video ... is that filetype still associated with Media Player?

Thanks for the offer of help mate, but I started having alsorts of problems with outlook syncing and downloading files. I have 95% of my important stuff on a storage card so i have just done a hard reset and its cured both my download issue and the syncing problem

thanks again

shaun

Guest oldg1t
Hi Guys

I don't know if anyone has come across this at all, but I tried to download a few files from the web directly to my Vario III. It's not something I do very offen but i have don't it previously (small videos, PDF files, and CAB files).

But when I tried to day I had a WM error message saying the following;

"This device is restricted from downloading this file type"

This was in internet explorer. I have not flashed the ROM its just the standard T-Mobile set up as it came. I could not download a PDF file, CAB file, or save an image from web site without this message appearing.

I tried while connected to me BT wireless router and via GPRS and it gave me the same problem. I have also tried three different websites. I just can't find any settings that could cause this.

I know I have downloaded files of these types before. Any one got any Idea's

thanks

shaun

Are you started using the Modaco proxy DNS server by any chance. I was until some web pages were not loading. I switched back to standard tmob setup and the same pages loaded.