Anyone used Skype on BJII?

Guest russelharvey

Guest russelharvey

I have T-Mobile and BJII, therefore no 3G but only E or G. During installation of Skype, it prompted to choose WiFi or WiFi and 3G, I chose "WiFi and 3G" hoping it can use E or G, but no luck, connecting error when sign in. Somewhere I seem to read Skype can work with E or G, has anyone tried?

Guest Mysterious Caveman
Wait.. why would you need Skype on your phone? Why not just make a phone call?

long distance :D

Once upon a time in a land far far away, I used skype on dialup. It worked fine, but saturated almost the entire bandwidth. G is pretty much the same as that, so technically, if skype hasn't changed too much since then, it could work on G... but barely. The performance wouldn't be that good. However, on Edge, it should have absolutly no problem. There's almost enough bandwidth to support video -- definitly enough for audio, so I don't see why it wouldn't work on Edge.

Guest su6oxone
I have T-Mobile and BJII, therefore no 3G but only E or G. During installation of Skype, it prompted to choose WiFi or WiFi and 3G, I chose "WiFi and 3G" hoping it can use E or G, but no luck, connecting error when sign in. Somewhere I seem to read Skype can work with E or G, has anyone tried?

I assume you mean Edge and 3G (by 'E' and 'G')? Anyways, forget about EDGE, it ain't gonna happen. Using 3G in various locations, Skype has gone between bad to kinda okay. I can hear the other Skype user (using their computer) but they have always reported poor reception/signal. I would guess that it's due to slow upload bandwidth of the BJ2.

Guest Mysterious Caveman

I could be way off on this, but from what I remember...

G = 48 kbit/s

E = ~240kbit/s

3G = ~3.5 MBit/s

That's downloading; I have no idea what upload is.

Edited by Mysterious Caveman

Guest Athenon

My only gripe is that I can't hear the other person (it's too soft), but her mic is known to be soft anyway so that might not be Skype's fault.

• 7 months later...