Car kit for Kaiser

Guest Mr.Clark

Guest Mr.Clark

Just a quick question:

I've recently bought a car ('97 Fiesta 1.3LX) and am looking to get a basic car kit that will allow me to use TomTom and let the phone charge while I'm driving. Nothing complicated, I've got a bluetooth headset I can use if I discover I want to talk and drive.

(As a bonus, I'd like to use the phone to play music through the car speakers, but I'm not expecting the car kit to do this - either use the speaker on the back of the phone on full or get something like an FM transmitter that can talk to the phone... more thoughts on that after I've got a car kit)

I've found this car kit, which looks hopeful in terms of price and features...

It's a gooseneck suction mount, so not permanent, and it has a charging bit for the Kaiser built in, which is less faff each time I start up. £31, and I've got a £10 off Expansys voucher from my recent E100 purchase, so that's great.

Anyone know a good reason why I shouldn't order one of these? Any better suggestions at the same sort of price range?

EDIT: I've just noticed that it's for the TyTN, not the TyTN II - is this a problem? I found it through the TyTN II accessories page...

Also, what's the Kaiser GPS like inside a car? I've seen the external GPS antenna for under twenty quid, but if I get that, I'd need a low-backed car kit. Is it a worthwhile upgrade, or can the Kaiser hold it's own with regards to in-car sat nav?

EDIT 2: Or theres the Official HTC one which has space for the GPS antenna connector, should I want it later.

in fact, the HTC one seems a better choice. Anyone used one?

Edited by Mr.Clark

Guest nevawlkalone

This would be miles better for your needs me thinks...it is more sturdy and is alround better quality! Possibly not the same price but defo worth a gander.

Brodit

Also see modaco brodit thread

The GPS in car is fine...i use mine all the time to navigate between customers and have never had a problem...only the typical tomtom ones of cant get a signal due to bad weather or something like that!

For reference - bluetooth FM transmitter <- this has had positive feed back from a couple of users on here.

HTH

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest Mr.Clark

How fiddly are they to fit? I've gone for a suction-mount because I don't want the hassle (time-wise and financial) of paying someone to professionally fit a kit into a car that isn't really worth a huge amount in the first place.

Nice to know about the GPS, thanks :D

EDIT: Also, that Brodit, although cool, looks very car specific, and finding stuff for a 10 year old car could be more trouble than it's worth...

Edited by Mr.Clark

Guest nevawlkalone

Not sure how fiddly it is, would have to ask in that thread...the suction cups are easy to fit (i have one) but my god it is rubbish to use....it vibrates allover the show when driving thus making the fone bounce up and down...not a huge amount but it is noticeable and midly irritating on long journeys.

Guest Mr.Clark
Not sure how fiddly it is, would have to ask in that thread...the suction cups are easy to fit (i have one) but my god it is rubbish to use....it vibrates allover the show when driving thus making the fone bounce up and down...not a huge amount but it is noticeable and midly irritating on long journeys.

Hmm, never thought about that.

From what I've read, this pro-clip thing is all home install, so I will give that a go, I think.

Guest jamesst

I can highly recommend the Brodit clip. It's set up in my P reg Fiesta and is fantastic. Took about 30 mins to set up, just clips into the dashboard above the air vents. Only problem I've found is it obscures the dashboard clock but that's a minor gripe. The unit is very sturdy and you can rotate the device to lanscape mode and push up the screen to use the keyboard. Can't fault it, excellent.

Guest Mr Alom

:( Hi,

Just to let you all know, I've bought this cheap FM Transmitter and it's working really well for me. I can hear the music as if it's from a cassette player (no background noise).

...and their also fast delivering your goods! :D

Guest repsolblade
Just a quick question:

I've recently bought a car ('97 Fiesta 1.3LX) and am looking to get a basic car kit that will allow me to use TomTom and let the phone charge while I'm driving. Nothing complicated, I've got a bluetooth headset I can use if I discover I want to talk and drive.

(As a bonus, I'd like to use the phone to play music through the car speakers, but I'm not expecting the car kit to do this - either use the speaker on the back of the phone on full or get something like an FM transmitter that can talk to the phone... more thoughts on that after I've got a car kit)

I've found this car kit, which looks hopeful in terms of price and features...

It's a gooseneck suction mount, so not permanent, and it has a charging bit for the Kaiser built in, which is less faff each time I start up. £31, and I've got a £10 off Expansys voucher from my recent E100 purchase, so that's great.

Anyone know a good reason why I shouldn't order one of these? Any better suggestions at the same sort of price range?

EDIT: I've just noticed that it's for the TyTN, not the TyTN II - is this a problem? I found it through the TyTN II accessories page...

Also, what's the Kaiser GPS like inside a car? I've seen the external GPS antenna for under twenty quid, but if I get that, I'd need a low-backed car kit. Is it a worthwhile upgrade, or can the Kaiser hold it's own with regards to in-car sat nav?

EDIT 2: Or theres the Official HTC one which has space for the GPS antenna connector, should I want it later.

in fact, the HTC one seems a better choice. Anyone used one?

TyTN and TyTN II mounts ARE DEFINATELY different... I have a TyTN mount and the II will not fit, there is a very slight difference in the shape of the unit and this is just enough for it not to fit.. I am looking for a new mount. my previous one is Brilliant, I got it from web company, NO Bounce and excellent suction system.

Guest Mr.Clark
I can highly recommend the Brodit clip. It's set up in my P reg Fiesta and is fantastic. Took about 30 mins to set up, just clips into the dashboard above the air vents. Only problem I've found is it obscures the dashboard clock but that's a minor gripe. The unit is very sturdy and you can rotate the device to lanscape mode and push up the screen to use the keyboard. Can't fault it, excellent.

Top marks that man. It was easy enough to fit (although having to drill holes in that mounting thing seemed very odd)

I accidentally bought the passive not the active holder, but having had a 4 hour journey I'm now glad I did.

There's not enough room in the cigarette lighter socket to get a splitter, so I can't have a second gadget that needs power - I think this will rule out most FM transmitters.

As such, I'm going to get one of those cassette adaptors, and one of the Y power-and-audio splitters, so wouldn't be able to use that in an active holder.

Very impressed with the Brodit stuff. :(

Thank you all... :D

Guest Mr Alom
Top marks that man. It was easy enough to fit (although having to drill holes in that mounting thing seemed very odd)

I accidentally bought the passive not the active holder, but having had a 4 hour journey I'm now glad I did.

There's not enough room in the cigarette lighter socket to get a splitter, so I can't have a second gadget that needs power - I think this will rule out most FM transmitters.

As such, I'm going to get one of those cassette adaptors, and one of the Y power-and-audio splitters, so wouldn't be able to use that in an active holder.

Very impressed with the Brodit stuff. :(

Thank you all... :D

By the way, the above FM Transmitter (that I bought) can be used with AAA size batteries.

Guest Mr.Clark

That's cool. Something to remember. How does it work if I've already got a bluetooth headset set up?

However, it doesn't seem to have the grunt to run Windows Media Player in the background and TomTom in the foreground - TomTom will keep going, but WMP will just go silent for long periods. Don't know if this is a WMP thing, a TomTom thing or a speaker thing, so I'm reluctant to get a tape adaptor, in case it turns out I can't use it.

Anyone else had this trying to play music and do TomTom in a car?