Complete Noob question about HKLM

Guest spudmurphy

Guest spudmurphy

:D :(

Please bare with me on tis, I've just got my new TyTN II though Orange in the UK. I'm browsing through a lot of threads on this forum and seeing a few tweeks I think I'd like to install, or activate but a lot reference HKLM at the beginning of the sequence of functions to press.

What does HKLM stand for, and what/where is it.

Please feel free to scoff if its a daft question but if I dont start at the beginning I dont get anywhere :(

Thanks,

Spud

Guest th1rt3en

HKLM is a registry term, stands for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

No problem on the noob question, we were all noobs at one time.

th1rt3en

Edited by th1rt3en

Guest Alkali
HKLM is a registry term, stands for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

No problem on the noob question, we were all noobs at one time.

th1rt3en

Who ever told you i am a noob?God!I am a double noob if ever there is one :D :(

Guest hotphil

Could be wrong, but the HKEY I think stands for Hive Key. The Registry hive is the place where any program (and the phone itself) can look for its settings. For that reason, editing it carries a risk - delete the wrong thing and your phone may not work at all. It's not the end of the world though as a hard reset will put it back to out-the-box status.

In order change anything in the registry, you'll need a registry editor. There's a few available, I use PHM Regedit, but there are others - including ones that will allow you to edit the phone registry while it's connected to your PC. This may be of use: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...gedit&meta=

Also, have a read of the Wiki at http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/HTC_Kaiser for some useful registry tweaks. Shout if you get stuck!