SMS on WM6

Guest clonmult

Guest clonmult

I'm starting to get wound up with the way WM6 handles texting, unsure if its specific to the Niki, or the Orange customisations.

I'm running the standard Orange customised firmware, and this is a list of the problems -

- it regularly just saves messages into the drafts folder rather than sends them

- takes ages (well maybe 10-20 seconds) to respond when attempting to send

- keeps a message in the outbox until I told it to send

- it will say "sending failed", whilst the recipient has actually received the message

Any when there's no signal, why doesn't the SMS system just keep the messages in the outbox until there is a signal? It just says "message can't be sent" and stick the message in the drafts folder.

Is this just standard windows mobile? If so, its pretty poor - Symbians messaging systems work absolutely perfectly in comparison.

Guest Monolithix

It might be the Orange customisations. Other than the annoying behaviour of saving unsent messages in drafts (grr) the other symptoms you're describing are not normal. Do you have any issues with signal? It's extreme but can help if you do a hard reset too.

Guest clonmult
It might be the Orange customisations. Other than the annoying behaviour of saving unsent messages in drafts (grr) the other symptoms you're describing are not normal. Do you have any issues with signal? It's extreme but can help if you do a hard reset too.

I've tried hard resets, doesn't make a difference.

This is the second dual I've had, the first one had major issues with call quality.

This one has only recently (in the last week or so) started to do this in a big way though, although prior to that I had plenty of people saying they'd only received part of the message.

Guest Monolithix

You could always try a cooked ROM, wouldn't be that simple a process to revert back to the O build if you changed your mind though, as they have no official updates available. It's not a common issue that i've heard of, but might be worth having a flick through niki.modaco.com to see if anyone else is suffering...

Guest jimbouk

Are you in a weak signal area?

I am going to guess your device is trying to use a weak 3g signal but can't manage it. Try switching it down to gsm only for a while and see what it does.

Everything you are saying is default behaviour if the device does not get an immediate confirmation from the network that the message has been sent.

Guest clonmult
Are you in a weak signal area?

I am going to guess your device is trying to use a weak 3g signal but can't manage it. Try switching it down to gsm only for a while and see what it does.

Everything you are saying is default behaviour if the device does not get an immediate confirmation from the network that the message has been sent.

Generally good 3G signal at home and at the office, but I'll switch 3G off for a few days, see how it handles. Ta :D

Guest englishpunk

No such problems with my Orange branded HTC TyTN II. Not sure that comment helps much, bar hopefully being suggestive that the O/S itself isn't the problem, but possibly the customisation on the Orange Touch Dual ( Niki ). I've not heard that specific problem, so possibly an actual handset fault, have you tried CS at all, to get their take on it ?

PS Hi mate, long time and all that :D

Guest mark4130

I had exactly the same problem when I went to a cooked WM6 rom, messages not sending or sending and telling me they hadnt, messages waiting in the outbox until I resend them etc... I ended up going back to the Orange WM5 rom.

I tried a different radio and ROM recently and that worked absolutely fine, and have been happy with it since....

• 1 month later...
Guest FWMaietta

Hi,

I have been having the same problem with my TYTN II. I finally found a solution that worked for me. Here are the steps.

Go to:

Start menu

Settings

Connections Tab

SMS Service Icon

Then set SMS over: to gsm preferred

I was then able to send and receive sms with no problem.

I hope this helps out. Post back and let me know if this worked for you.