The official Eten Glofiish M800 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Wish your Kaiser had a VGA screen? OK, so the specs don't EXACTLY match, but you might like to check out the the Eten Glofiish M800... unboxed here for your pleasure :D

Featuring that oh so lovely VGA screen, a 500MHz Samsung processor, a slide out keyboard and second-to-none SiRF III GPS, it's one hot puppy. Strikes against it include 64MB RAM, a 2MP camera and no 'tilt', but i'll be putting the device through it's paces and will report back how I get on.

Got a question? Fire away! :(

P

Guest Monolithix

How about an in action comparison vid using, say Google Maps or Netfront with both the M800 and the Kaiser? Show off some VGA lovin' :D

Guest WearTheFoxHat

When I got the TyTN II I compared it with the Glofiish products available at the time, and the only thing putting me off was RAM and lack of tilt screen.

Is the lesser ram really an issue?

Will the VGA screen deplete the battery quicker?

Lastly, the "issue" about the TyTN II not using hardware accelerated graphics driver, is this the case with the M800, or is it using hardware graphics? If so, wonder if that will make it a Kaiser killer !

Guest fatbutcher

Hey Paul, drag yourself into this year, its 2008 you know! :D

What I'd like to know... is this device really using the VGA resolution, a few year ago I had a IPAQ HX4700 which was VGA, looked great, but Windows Mobile still used the screen space the same, so I didn't really see the benefit till I installed a 3rd party app (SE_VGA I think it was called) . I've not really taken much note of the VGA stuff since then, have things moved on, and more importantly for me, will I get a full 640x480 Remote Desktop on screen at once?

Edited by fatbutcher

Guest yosnoor

I noticed that the screen orientation change was quite snappy in the unboxing. Can you clarify whether this is the case in normal usage? How does the video capability compare to the kaiser?

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hey Paul, drag yourself into this year, its 2008 you know! :D

What I'd like to know... is this device really using the VGA resolution, a few year ago I had a IPAQ HX4700 which was VGA, looked great, but Windows Mobile still used the screen space the same, so I didn't really see the benefit till I installed a 3rd party app (SE_VGA I think it was called) . I've not really taken much note of the VGA stuff since then, have things moved on, and more importantly for me, will I get a full 640x480 Remote Desktop on screen at once?

It's not running 96dpi, so things appear the same size but clearer generally. For remote desktop, browsing etc. tho, it DOES use the full VGA!

P

Guest Syphon Filter
A weird question, but, do you think the device looks ugly?

I'll agree with you on that. It is kinda FUGLY.

I don't understand PDA makers.

Take the Kaiser, great device only issues IMO are a slightly lacking CPU and no VGA or WVGA screen.

E-Ten come along and make the M800, great screen, faster CPU BUT LESS RAM?!

They ALWAYS leave something out. I don't get it. It's not that hard. Listen to what the consumers are bitching about, take action BUT DON'T rip anything else out in the process!!

I'll agree with you on that. It is kinda FUGLY.

I don't understand PDA makers.

Take the Kaiser, great device only issues IMO are a slightly lacking CPU and no VGA or WVGA screen.

E-Ten come along and make the M800, great screen, faster CPU BUT LESS RAM?!

They ALWAYS leave something out. I don't get it. It's not that hard. Listen to what the consumers are bitching about, take action BUT DON'T rip anything else out in the process!!

EXACTLY! Why oh why, are there soooooo many devices that are coming out but with only 64mb of RAM! It's just not enough!

I notice it quite a lot on my Trinity, I reckon the killer is trying to do something whilst listening to music!

Hopefully though, it seems that the Sony X1 will address all these issues!

Guest Monolithix

Hmm i don't use mine for music all that much, but i'd have thought the slowness would have been a CPU limitation rather than a memory one?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest timeline

The problem is with 64ram on boot you already have only about 25mb left. Add something like spb mobile shell or pocket plus, calligrapher, it goes down to under 20, very soon it becomes a limitation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.