AGPS support and Mobile XT performance

Guest raven2000

Guest raven2000

Hi,

I am in the market to replace my aging Nokia E61 and I am seriously considering Samsung Blackjack II. I have couple of questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

I have a good plan that allows me to use web so does Blackjack II supports aGPS? If so, can this can be used with carrier other then AT&T?

I have read some devices have performance problems using Mobile XT. How does Blackjack II fare? Is map refresh smooth or does it skip or lag?

Thanks.

Guest thelostsoul

I believe the skipping is just the performance of Mobile XT. I don't mind it and think it works perfectly fine though.

It can be used on carriers other than ATT, but it will need to be SIM unlocked first. Remember, your carrier must be GSM to use the Blackjack II.

I'm not sure if its AGPS or just regular GPS, but it does take a while to get a signal sometimes. If you have Garmin, you do not NEED a data plan, but it allows you to get traffic data and whatnot...

Guest raven2000
I'm not sure if its AGPS or just regular GPS, but it does take a while to get a signal sometimes.

Does anyone know for sure if Blackjack II has aGPS support?

Guest thelostsoul
Does anyone know for sure if Blackjack II has aGPS support?

It really doesn't matter. The only difference between aGPS is that aGPS uses cell phone towers to help it obtain a signal, which means it's not full GPS. I heard somewhere that the BJII Has a sirfstar III chip, which would mean its a full GPS chip I believe, and that would be best.

Either way, a GPS is a GPS.

Guest raven2000
It really doesn't matter. The only difference between aGPS is that aGPS uses cell phone towers to help it obtain a signal, which means it's not full GPS. I heard somewhere that the BJII Has a sirfstar III chip, which would mean its a full GPS chip I believe, and that would be best.

Either way, a GPS is a GPS.

huh?

The idea behind "Offline AGPS" (or "AGPS over the internet") is straightforward but effective: instead of downloading the ephemeris data from the satellites, something that takes 30 seconds at best, requires a good signal level (>28 dB-Hz) and needs to be done every 4 hours, you download a 50kb ephemeris file valid for 3/7/10 days. Acquisition time in the morning goes down to 10 seconds from 40 seconds in good environments and remains at 20/30 seconds on average in challenging environments (coated windshield, dense urban environment) versus several minutes, if at all possible, without AGPS. Taken from: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47602

AGPS enabled receivers can work without network support.

So, does anyone know for sure if BlackJack II supports Offline AGPS/AGPS over the internet? Why I want to know is because AGPS makes the device lot more usable especially in challenging conditions.

Edited by raven2000

• 7 months later...
Guest dreamfly

I have a BJII with Garmin Mobile XT. Once I upgraded to WM6 and the latest Garmin GPS software, the aGPS is working very well. The downside to me is it costs me data usage. I have to use the NoData Utility to disable the network connection and therefore disabled aGPS.

WM6.1 enabled aGPS for the BJII....

It's not user definable and is handled by the intermediate driver. Garmin must be set to allow data at startup on version 5. It cuts down the time to lock dramatically. There have been other threads on this.