Need help getting GPS to work

Guest stigdu

Guest stigdu

Hi all,

I used to have a SPV M3100 but 3 days ago got my new HTC TyTn II phone from Orange thanks to my previous contract finally ending.

With the SPV, I used to have a little GPS receiver that I would switch on, and then TomTom 5 would see it, the satellites would show up, and I would be away.

But with the new TyTn II phone, it says there is an in-built GPS receiver so I shouldn't need this extra SIRF III thing, right?

But when I start up TomTom, it just says "Connecting to GPS device...." for about 5 seconds, then it will really quickly flash up "No GPS device" for a split second, and then go back to "Connecting to GPS device....."

So does this mean I actually DO need my external GPS receiver, or have I maybe done something wrong in the options?

Any help very much appreciated, thank you!

Guest Mr Alom
Hi all,

I used to have a SPV M3100 but 3 days ago got my new HTC TyTn II phone from Orange thanks to my previous contract finally ending.

With the SPV, I used to have a little GPS receiver that I would switch on, and then TomTom 5 would see it, the satellites would show up, and I would be away.

But with the new TyTn II phone, it says there is an in-built GPS receiver so I shouldn't need this extra SIRF III thing, right?

But when I start up TomTom, it just says "Connecting to GPS device...." for about 5 seconds, then it will really quickly flash up "No GPS device" for a split second, and then go back to "Connecting to GPS device....."

So does this mean I actually DO need my external GPS receiver, or have I maybe done something wrong in the options?

Any help very much appreciated, thank you!

Here you go...this thread gives you step-by-step instructions.

Enjoy your Tom-Tom. :D

Guest RickDawson

keep the GPS settings the same as factory install on Windows Mobile.

With TomTom you need to select com 4.

It's best to go outside for the first few times to pick up the GPS signals.

just leave it to do it's thing. It can take a while sometimes (especially on first use).

and you can forget your external GPS device. the kaiser has it inbuilt.

It is advised to get the latest satellite data / info on your mobile. Theres a tiny application on your mobile that will get this (download) for you.

Guest stigdu

Thanks very much guys, that's very helpful. I certainly wasn't trying to change the GPS type or COM port - it's not in the instruction manual... :/

Will try later Sunday afternoon. :D