GPS Signal Strength

Guest blimpmedia

Guest blimpmedia

Tom Tom 6 seems to only show me a signal strength of 2-3 bars only when I use it with the internal GPS receiver.

Thinking there could be something wrong with the Tom Tom software, I decided to install Co-pilot (which comes standard with my TyTN II) and same thing, signal strength was very low.

My next test was I decided to paired my GlobalSat BT-338 and sure enough, FULL STRENGTH.

Could there be something wrong with my phone GPS receiver? Is your phone doing the same?

Edited by blimpmedia

Guest hotphil

I think I'm right in saying the GlobalSat 338 uses the Sirfstar iii chip that's supposedly quicker/more accuratethan the older chip in the Kaiser. Unless you're unable to get an accurate fix with the builtin GPS, I wouldn't worry. I don't think there's a way of improving it.

Guest blimpmedia

It’s so disappointing isn’t it…!!!

The GPS feature was a main reason I bought this phone and now to have to connect my GlobalSat BT-338 just to get full signal is unacceptable. If I knew this I would have just stuck to my O2 Atom Exec and waited for a better phone at a later stage.

I will be calling HTC today.

Edited by blimpmedia

Guest hotphil

Why? What are you going to tell/ask them? I'm just curious why you think the GPS performance is poor? I have no problems at all with mine, it's accurate to within the tolerances I need it for.

Guest tsutton

As long as it connects to GPS, I'm happy with it.

What are you going to tell HTC? That you want to replace the phone? They won't.

Technology improves. New features come along after you buy a phone. It's the same with everything. So wait for the next phone. :D

Guest Jamesie M

I use my tomtom 6 all the time on my vario 3 and it's pretty fast at finding the sattelite and accurate on the move. I travel a lot and it works in rural Scotland, Wales and NI...even gave back my work tomtom as I stopped using it.

Guest Webreaper

No problem with GPS reception here. Is it really surprising that a dedicated GPS receiver is getting a better signal than the chip in your phone?

I'm sure if you phone HTC and say "hey, my other GPS product XYZ gets a stronger GPS signal than the Kaiser" they'll say "Excellent news, if you're in a weak signal area, use that instead of the Kaiser", and then hang up. :D

Guest Mr Alom

No problem with mine, I've used Tom-Tom in my Kaiser in the City (West End, London) and had no problem even with all the tall buidings and built-up area. :D

Guest Kaiser Wilhelm II

Usually the GPS works pretty well for me - locks on quickly and I get a 'six bar' signal.

However, very occasionally I get a weird problem where it takes ages to lock - maybe 10 mins - and I get a 'one bar' signal according to TomTom. It still works but in these conditions sometimes the location jumps maybe 20-30m out, then back again.

When that happens I exit TomTom, give it 30 seconds then do a soft reset. This usually fixes the problem until it randomly occurs again maybe weeks later......

I can't see what factors are causing it. I regularly use the QuickGPS downloader so it has all the positions of the satellites in memory and it can give a problem when activating GPS in a place where it worked fine a day or two before - eg. Outside my house. So it's not interference/blocking from buildings or trees.

Guest blimpmedia

That’s interesting I'll give that a shots this weekend when I’m using Tom Tom.

PS: Haven’t had the chance to call HTC but I have a few problems currently occurring and plan to spill them all out in one call.

I'll keep you posted.

Guest oldg1t
Usually the GPS works pretty well for me - locks on quickly and I get a 'six bar' signal.

However, very occasionally I get a weird problem where it takes ages to lock - maybe 10 mins - and I get a 'one bar' signal according to TomTom. It still works but in these conditions sometimes the location jumps maybe 20-30m out, then back again.

When that happens I exit TomTom, give it 30 seconds then do a soft reset. This usually fixes the problem until it randomly occurs again maybe weeks later......

I can't see what factors are causing it. I regularly use the QuickGPS downloader so it has all the positions of the satellites in memory and it can give a problem when activating GPS in a place where it worked fine a day or two before - eg. Outside my house. So it's not interference/blocking from buildings or trees.

I have exactly the same problem. My theory is GPS is still being used by another application (Quick GPS perhaps) even though the Quick GPS download is completed and is not shown in the running programs list. Rebooting the device cures this. I have read somwhere (maybe on this thread) that WM5 & WM6 should allow GPS to be shared shared but wether that means equal strength is anyones guess.

My car has heat reflective windscreen but when its working at its best I still get 4 or 5 bars around the rural midlands but I lose the signal altogether around the M25 and even Heathrow approach roads. So can anyone reccomend an external GPS that I can attach outside the car.

Guest Confucious
My car has heat reflective windscreen but when its working at its best I still get 4 or 5 bars around the rural midlands but I lose the signal altogether around the M25 and even Heathrow approach roads. So can anyone reccomend an external GPS that I can attach outside the car.

What sort of car do you have? A friend with a Golf leaves a BT GPS receiver plugged in to the car lighter socket in the boot and the receiver on the rear parcel shelf as the rear windows don't have the coating that block the signal on the windscreen.

HTH

Guest oldg1t
What sort of car do you have? A friend with a Golf leaves a BT GPS receiver plugged in to the car lighter socket in the boot and the receiver on the rear parcel shelf as the rear windows don't have the coating that block the signal on the windscreen.

HTH

I have Peugeot 307Sw but that sounds a possible solution. I have lighter socket near rear seat headrests. The rear window is tinted but I doubt its heat reflective

Guest dirlan2001
I have exactly the same problem. My theory is GPS is still being used by another application (Quick GPS perhaps) even though the Quick GPS download is completed and is not shown in the running programs list. Rebooting the device cures this. I have read somwhere (maybe on this thread) that WM5 & WM6 should allow GPS to be shared shared but wether that means equal strength is anyones guess.

Hi,

The problem you reffer to is due to the Qualcomm-chip. QuickGPS doesn't use GPS but listens to the GSM-localisation signal. Only if you have a real clear view, the QC will easily find and use satelites. The same problem occurs sometimes on the iPAQ 614c, which has the same Qualcomm 6280 GPS chip. Putting the phone a little closer to the windshield of my truck fixes this in seconds.

As for the location you talk about ; pollution might be the answer. GPS signal is able to penetrate clouds, humidity etc (it uses a 'frequency-window' ) but I'm not sure about smog.

Cheers,

Dirk