Mini USB different on different networks?

Guest RayBanUK

Guest RayBanUK

Hi,

I just wanted to know from all the various guises of the the Kaiser on UK networks what mini USB connector each version has at the bottom of their phones?

I've got the MDA Vario 3 and I could swear that the O2 Stellar has a different mini usb port. Just need confirmation. Had damage to mine and really hacked off with HTC for making the USB port the headphone socket too. Has anyone had the misfortune to have a broken connector?

(did a search already but couldnt see a similar thread)

Many thanks for the help.

Guest hotphil

I believe they're all the same - a customised mini-USB compatible socket that contains the headphone socket too. Why HTC continue to pump out devices without a standard 3.5mm headphone socket is something that has angered me for 5 or so years. When will they realise that a lot of people won't mind the extra bulk for the sake of a standard connection! I even considered going Nokia for a while just for this reason.

HTC - Listen, it REALLY IS that big a deal. Sort it out!

Guest RayBanUK

I'm always watching videos on the Vario 3 on the Underground so I use the port a lot using a mini-usb to 3.5 adaptor. Having to plug in plug out obviosuly loosens up the connector and I feel that it is too delicate to be used as a headphone port.

T-mobile wont fix it as they said its physical damage (grrr) but luckily have insurance so will have to claim against it (and hopefully they will fix it *fingers crossed*) but I do feel that when I get it back, I would rather use a AD2P headet with it instead of facing the same problem again a few months down the line.

Currently using a Wizard and suddenly the 2.5mm is forgiven!

Edited by RayBanUK

Guest Boinng

Over on XDA there's a long running thread on broken mini-USBs - they

seem to have a tendency to develop a "kink" in the plastic connector in the middle of the socket, leading to unreliable or non-existant connections. There are also reports that the type of connector was changed at some point, possibly to avoid this (or possibly just because they changed supplier, who knows).

The more easily damaged connector has a row of holes along it, at the end of each pin, whereas the newer connector looks a bit more solid. I've got the former unfortunately (as have most people I expect) but after five months it still seems okay.

Guest RayBanUK
Over on XDA there's a long running thread on broken mini-USBs - they

seem to have a tendency to develop a "kink" in the plastic connector in the middle of the socket, leading to unreliable or non-existant connections. There are also reports that the type of connector was changed at some point, possibly to avoid this (or possibly just because they changed supplier, who knows).

The more easily damaged connector has a row of holes along it, at the end of each pin, whereas the newer connector looks a bit more solid. I've got the former unfortunately (as have most people I expect) but after five months it still seems okay.

Thats what I mean, I have seen the O2 XDA with a flat looking usb connector and I have the one with the holes in it! OK will go over to XDA and try to search for th thread.

Guest Boinng

The O2 "Stellar" was announced and released quite late into the Kaiser party (the other networks, and HTC themselves, were selling their various different versions much earlier) so I guess they've just benefitted from the change in USB design later in the manufacturing run. Some of the reports on XDA are about new and old AT&T Tilts that have had different connectors, so it's obviously not tied to any particular network, just a question of when the phone was made. I'm sure HTC would deny there was any significance in the change at all!

If there is anything inherently wrong with the original connector, they're going to have an awful lot of returns on their hands.

EDIT - it's obviously not a network thing, since here's a good clear picture of the "suspect" original connector, taken from a review of the... O2 Stellar! http://www.4winmobile.com/tg/Xda_Stellar/Full/DSCF0129.jpg

Edited by Boinng

Guest lozzd
EDIT - it's obviously not a network thing, since here's a good clear picture of the "suspect" original connector, taken from a review of the... O2 Stellar! http://www.4winmobile.com/tg/Xda_Stellar/Full/DSCF0129.jpg

That's the same connector as I have on my T-mobile Vario III, it's called a Ext-miniusb or something, a different type of miniusb that is backwards compatible.

Guest Boinng
That's the same connector as I have on my T-mobile Vario III, it's called a Ext-miniusb or something, a different type of miniusb that is backwards compatible.

Yep, it's the same connector most people have on their Kaisers, but there have been problems reported with it - and newer units have been appearing with a slightly different component. The same connector, but slightly different design/build.

Guest andrewkeith5

thats sort of annoying...i bought my vario iii at the end of january and it has the *supposedly* old connector on it. at least i havent had any problems yet, and i'll soon be using a2dp for the headset so that should take a lot of strain off it

Guest SGTDRE

Umm okay here goes it, this maybe a Dumb Question here :( But why not just set up a Blue Tooth head set this way you would not need to worry about a wire getting tangled up or even snaged on anything or about the type of connector. Some of the new bue tooth head sets are pretty good and the better ones can last a good long time.

I have a JawBone from motorola that I use, well used to use that is, until we got a new Vehicle that has Microsoft Sync in it and really don't use the blue tooth head set any more, but when I did use it, I would get at least 48 hours of use before having to charge it up again, I do use my phone a lot not so much for music, but for a very good fare amount of talk on any given day.... Just 25 cents :D

Guest Boinng

Using bluetooth can reduce some of the connector wear, but remember this socket is also for charging too - there's no other way to do that, and it's not as if the Kaiser's battery lasts forever!

I'm sure with a little care the socket isn't a problem at all, it's just a little concerning that there have been some casualties, and it does seem to have changed in later production..

Guest hotphil

And there's the noticeable drop in sound quality over Bluetooth. Plus the fact that all the system volumes get screwed up every time it connects.

Guest scottt

I had one of the original connectors on my orange Kaiser till it broke, the new Kaiser orange sent in its place has the solid connector.