Opera Mini 4.1 beta released - TONS of goodies like page saving!

Guest Menneisyys

Guest Menneisyys

The new 4.1 beta of Opera Mini has just been released with TONS of new features. Get it at http://www.operamini.com/beta/ . Features include:

* Download and upload files directly in Opera Mini (wowz! UPLOAD!)

* Save pages for offline browsing (another WOWZ!)

* Autocompletion when entering addresses directly

* Find in page (WOOOOOOWZ!)

* Increased server speed during the last months

* Signed versions of Opera Mini (good news too)

Don't forget to download the latest, 3.1 version of Jbed (reviewed & linked to HERE at the bottom.)

(BTW, some of you have asked what I've been working on because I've been quite quiet. I'm

1. working on my Digital TV Bible, after having read dozens of related books and tons of online documents (I'll post a detailed review of them too)
  2. I need to do some real work too
  3. I'll make another W3C conference speech this month (on multiplatform mobile browsers) and need to update my related Windows Mobile / Symbian / BlackBerry stuff
All in all, I've been pretty busy :D

Guest Menneisyys

UPDATE (later the same day):

1. MoDaCo frontpage

2. note that the above-recommended Jbed 3.1 is NOT compatible with WM5 (or with even older operating system versions), only WM6. If you're still on WM5, use the old, "Cloudyfa" 2.1 version instead; or look around at XDA-Devs, where, according to THIS post, the 20080222 version of 3.1 is WM5-compatible.

Guest Menneisyys

UPDATE (04/06/2008): I have some very good news for you all.

1. Several of my readers have asked (see for example THIS) whether it’s possible to change the page save directory in Opera Mini 4.1 after you’ve set it first. Contrary to the popular belief (you must reinstall it from scratch), it’s actually very easy to do this:

a. if you have originally selected a removable storage card as the target media, you only need to remove it before trying to save any page on it. Then, you’ll be prompted an error message and, on the next page saving attempt, you’ll be offered the chance of setting the new save directory. That is, if you’ve originally given Opera Mini a storage card, you can change the save path without any need for hexediting files.

b. if you have provided it with a movable / deletable directory in the built-in storage (or, for that matter, on the storage card), just move (cut / paste) the entire directory somewhere else on your device – or on your storage card. That is, if you’ve given \My Documents to it, just cut it with the built-in File Explorer and paste it to in any other subdirectory. (Of course, you’ll need to paste the directory back once you’re ready with the – failed – page saving attempt if it’s a directory used by other apps too – like \My Documents.)

3, if, for some reason, neither of the above-listed ways works, you’ll need to do some hexediting. To do this, search for the in the name of the directory in the \Windows\appdb\s?__d?.db files with, say, Total Commander (Alt-F7) on the desktop Windows and just change this occurrence to another directory with a hexeditor. An example showing changing \My Documents to \Storage Card with a hexeditor:

ChangePagesavepath1.png

ChangePagesavepath2.png

Again, it’ll be FAR easier to temporarily remove / move the directory than hexediting – only do the latter if you simply can’t (temporarily) delete the directory because you’ve given it, say, \Windows or some other, undeletable directory.

2. the native C++ version of the invocation script has been updated to be compliant with 4.1. In addition, badbob001 has updated his MortScript to be compatible with 4.1 and he is also doing automatic (!!!) descriptor parsing & discovery to automatically find the current position of the OM deployment (just like the JZ SmartMort's brand new script I've reported on above), which, so far, needed to be done (once) by hand. See his updated script HERE. Both advancements are discussed HERE, starting with page 10 (post #91).

Guest Menneisyys

UPDATE (04/12/2008):

1. I've continued using the current 4.1beta on my BlackBerry 8800. No lockups at all so far - as opposed to 4.0. Certainly VERY good news - the pretty frequent lockups with 4.0 were quite a pain in the back.

2. Several people have asked how the signed version of 4.1b should be used on Symbian S60 devices, particularly because previous posts (see for example THIS) in the official Opera Mini forum referred to earlier S60 versions. It's pretty simple: After deploying, go to Applications / App. Manager, scroll down to Opera Mini 4.1, press the Action button, select Open and change all occurrences of "Ask every time" (file system read/write operations, that is, "Read user data" and "Edit user data", will belong to this category) to "Always allowed". Then, just exit by pressing the right softkey two times.

BTW, it's also here that you may want to change "Ask first time" to "Always allowed" of "Connectivity" and "Network access" so that, after loading, you aren't nagged for network access permission at all.

3. As far as Windows Mobile is concerned, there is another, new version of Jbed 3.1, this time allowing for being installed on a storage card without any hacking (and, of course, it keeps all the other goodies: sound emulation, M3G etc.). I've very thoroughly tested it on both MS Smartphones and Pocket PC's (WM5 and WM6 alike, including even the latest WM6.1); it worked just great. It's available HERE for direct download. After decompressing the ZIP file, transfer the CAB file to your (WM5+) handset and execute it there.

Note that it doesn't create a link in Start Menu (not even when installed to the built-in storage); therefore, you'll need to manually create it. It's pretty simple: either copy (after, if you install Jbed on a storage card, changing "\Windows\jbed.exe" to "\Storage Card\Esmertec Java\jbed.exe" in it; if you're afraid of manually editing the file, I've created it for you; just right-click THIS and select Download / Save) to \Windows\Start Menu\Programs (on a touchscreen-enabled Pocket PC) or \Windows\Start Menu (on a touchscreen-less MS Smartphone). On Pocket PC's, you can also go the usual way: go to the home directory (for example, \Storage Card\Esmertec Java), highlight jbed.exe, select Copy; go to the target directory (\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or any subdirectory of it) and select Edit / Paste Shortcut. Then, you may still want to rename the just-created .lnk file so that you can remove the "Shortcut to" prefix.

Guest Menneisyys

UPDATE (04/19/2008):

1. Unfortunately, it seems none of the Jbed 3.1 versions are able to run Opera Mini 4.1 beta on touchscreen-less MS Smartphones (but NOT on Pocket PC's!!!) if you switch to other apps (for example, the home screen) and, then, back, you will no longer be able to control Opera Mini. I've tested this on my WM5 s310 / Oxygen (major problems) and, with HTC's recently-released ROM upgrade, upgraded WM6 s710 / Vox (not that frequent problems but still annoying). At XDA-Devs, other people have also reported the same problem with their Smartphones.

If you do encounter problems like this and can't refrain from task switching, you'll want to downgrade to the Cloudyfa 2.1 version available HERE. Note that it can safely co-exist with 3.1 if you've installed the latter in another directory (for example, on a storage card or a flash disk) - then, it's only the file associations that will be needed to, say, quickly switched if you don't want to manually deploy a MIDlet from inside the GUI of the specific MIDlet manager. That is, you don't need to delete Jbed 3.1 if you plan to keep it for example for M3G gaming.

Note that touchscreen-equipped Pocket PC's do NOT suffer from this problem!

2. Ebenezer has released a fixed version of his Jbed 3.1 MIDlet manager HERE. Now, it does create a link file in Start Menu / Programs on both Pocket PC's and MS Smartphones. It also installs to any target media (not only "Storage Card"s) without problems. Note one caveat, though: the link file (the one the installer puts in the Start menu) has \Storage Card wired in, which doesn't work with any storage card (or flash disk) named other than "Storage Card". Hope this is fixed some time; in the meantime, just manually edit the link file to have the correct path.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Menneisyys

The final version of Opera Mini 4.1, one of the best Web browsers available, has just been released; see THIS for more info. I’ll post a detailed multiplatform review in some days, after having used it for some time on all my three mobile operating systems.