USB convertor for iPaq 614c??

Hi all,

I've had my iPaq 614c a few days now and it is great! :D One of the few issues I have with the device is the lack of a headphone socket (restricted to using the supplied personal handsfree kit). Anyone know of any mini-USB to 3.5mm Jack convertors that will work with the 614c?

Guest dirlan2001
Hi all,

I've had my iPaq 614c a few days now and it is great! :D One of the few issues I have with the device is the lack of a headphone socket (restricted to using the supplied personal handsfree kit). Anyone know of any mini-USB to 3.5mm Jack convertors that will work with the 614c?

Hi,

Look here : USB Adaptr

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest ROGUEx360
Hi,

Look here : USB Adaptr

Cheers,

Dirk

That says it is compatible with the HTC TyTN 2... which I thought used a proprietry HTC Ext-USB connection, and not the standard mini-USB connection?

Would this therefore not work with the iPAQ 614c?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest philboy

Me too.....

The HTC ones don't work as their mini usb is a different shape, one side is straight and not indented. Motorola use a similar shape mini usb, so I have ordered a couple of them. Will let you know if any work. As far as I can tell there is no specific one comercially available. The other option would be to use the headphones suplied cut the cable and wire it up to a 3.5mm jack!

If anyone fines one which works let me know

Thanks Phil

• 1 month later...
Guest DSwarP

Guy's, I've figured out the cheapest, easiest, absolutely best (as far as I'm concerned) solution to the problem us 614c users have when it coems to a 3.5mm jack (or lack there of).

Remember that USB mic + earbud speaker setup that came with your phone? Well, the simplest solution is to head on down to radio shack (or your local electronica store) and pick up one of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...rentPage=search

or

Then, proceed to open up the little section where the button and volume knob are. You will find inside a tiny PCB, and it is clearly labeled R+ R- L+ L-. Desolder the earbud heaphones from the board, and replace with your hacked up connector wire. There are three wires in the adapter. Mine had red, black, and tan. Apparently they decided red was a good color for ground (no idea, unless I misunderstand how speakers should be wired) but I attached the wires as follows:

Red to L-

Black to L+

Tan to R+

As far as I can tell, it preserved the proper stereo output on my headphones, even without the second ground connection.

Once youre all soldered up and tested for functionality, proceed to reassemble the plastic housing. It might be a little tricky getting it to look nice, but even if its a little beat up afterwards, you have a fully functional, buttoned, miced, stereo headphone jack with volume control built in.

Enjoy.

Edited by DSwarP

Guy's, I've figured out the cheapest, easiest, absolutely best (as far as I'm concerned) solution to the problem us 614c users have when it coems to a 3.5mm jack (or lack there of).

Remember that USB mic + earbud speaker setup that came with your phone? Well, the simplest solution is to head on down to radio shack (or your local electronica store) and pick up one of these:

or

Then, proceed to open up the little section where the button and volume knob are. You will find inside a tiny PCB, and it is clearly labeled R+ R- L+ L-. Desolder the earbud heaphones from the board, and replace with your hacked up connector wire. There are three wires in the adapter. Mine had red, black, and tan. Apparently they decided red was a good color for ground (no idea, unless I misunderstand how speakers should be wired) but I attached the wires as follows:

Red to L-

Black to L+

Tan to R+

As far as I can tell, it preserved the proper stereo output on my headphones, even without the second ground connection.

Once youre all soldered up and tested for functionality, proceed to reassemble the plastic housing. It might be a little tricky getting it to look nice, but even if its a little beat up afterwards, you have a fully functional, buttoned, miced, stereo headphone jack with volume control built in.

Enjoy.

I guess this works but will definitely VOID any warranty due to tampering of internal parts... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DSwarP
I guess this works but will definitely VOID any warranty due to tampering of internal parts... :D

You're only messing with the little headphone adapter, not the phone itself. At worst you would be charged for replacing said headphone adapter, and that's what, $15 at most?

Not to mention, in the US, I don't get a warranty on my phone...