Overclocking - pro's and con's?

Guest petec500

Guest petec500

Apologies if this has been discussed before - couldn't get the Search facility to work.

Having read in another post on here about overclocking a Touch to 299Mhz using BatteryStatus, i thought i'd give it a go. So, i took my Touch from the standard 201Mhz up to 233 first, then 247 and finally 299MHz (i heard that above this speed causes problems). To my simply maths, that's a 50% increase in processor speed, so i'd expect a very noticeable improvement in speed - but i cant say i have yet, not much anyway. Also, from my diminishing knowledge of electronics, i'd expect a faster processor to run hotter and take more current, but again the indicators on BatteryStatus show no difference.

So, what are the benefits and trade offs for overclocking? Do you get better performance at the cost of shorter battery life?

Guest simon211175
Do you get better performance at the cost of shorter battery life?

that's about it, yes. The decrease in battery life should not be noticeable though.

The performance increase should be noticed - I see it best in the speed of the TouchFlo animations, but the main reason I did it was to stop the phone hanging so much.

Guest petec500
that's about it, yes. The decrease in battery life should not be noticeable though.

The performance increase should be noticed - I see it best in the speed of the TouchFlo animations, but the main reason I did it was to stop the phone hanging so much.

Interesting - so why dont the manufacturers set the clock speed higher in the first place? Will it affect reliability of the phone long term i wonder? I'll certainly see how many crashes i get now - hope that improves!

Guest simon211175
Interesting - so why dont the manufacturers set the clock speed higher in the first place? Will it affect reliability of the phone long term i wonder? I'll certainly see how many crashes i get now - hope that improves!

If you constantly run the cpu at a higher rate than it was supplied for, then eventually the chip will burn out, your battery and your phone will die. In this day and age, this is not too relevant - unless you plan on keeping your phone for a good few years. Most people replace them within 1½ - 2 years.

My phone hasn't crashed nearly as many times since overclocking - although I have to admit I now want a change anyway.

Guest petec500
So . . . How would you go about over clocking your phone then?

Neil

As stated in my orignal post, download BatteryStatus which allows you to do this. I'm sure there are other applications out there that do the same. One thing i'd like is to be able to select the processor speed depending on what i'm doing/what time of day etc. I'm sure that's possible with some packages.