eXpansys bundles: does 'Smartphone Connect' really exist?

Guest rireed

Guest rireed

(Note -- at the moment, T-Mobile have fixed this problem, not to say something else will go wrong -- To see what went wrong, read the last post. Posts by others on this thread were very helpful. Many thanks)

This is only the first time I have changed providers. I have only had 3 mobiles for 7 years or so on Orange. Maybe there's a rule of thumb "don't buy contracts from third parties"?

I bought an ASUS P750 with 'Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile' for 12 months from eXpansys. Here's the link to the bundle description (NOT current: see the next paragraph)

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?partner=modaco&i=165453

This link can no longer be found from the ASUS P750 page, but I have been able to find a navigation path to it (13 April 2008). From the eXpansys home page:

Home › Windows Pocket PCs › T-Mobile Deals, then 'show all', then 'alphabetically'. It should be right at the top.

I'll supply images if the link goes bad.

In the Official ASUS P750 'ask nedge' thread, I asked if anyone was getting the HSDPA promised in the link, because I'm not. I got lots of help with locations to try, and dudegalea told me he bought his P750 without SIM and put it on his Web 'n' Walk contract -- works fine on HSDPA in Bath. Another poster said he has the 'H' on Web 'n' Walk in North London, near me.

T-Mobile CS say I don't get HSDPA because I don't have Web 'n' Walk. My first bill last night shows 'Email Plan 12 for email and Internet web browsing'. I sent a detailed email with the link and images to eXpansys saying I only get '3G' (4 bars in Canary Wharf) and 'up to 384 Kbps' instead of the promised 'H' and 'up to 1.8 Mbps'. eXpansys are still checking.

Does anyone have eXpansys 'Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile' on any HSDPA device? Do you actually get HSDPA? If so, what plan does your T-Mobile bill say?

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by rireed

This is only the first time I have changed providers. I have only had 3 mobiles for 7 years or so on Orange. Maybe there's a rule of thumb "don't buy contracts from third parties"?

I bought an ASUS P750 with 'Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile' for 12 months from eXpansys. Here's the link to the bundle description (NOT current: see the next paragraph)

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?partner=modaco&i=165453

This link can no longer be found from the ASUS P750 page. I retrieved it last night from the "Recently Viewed" cookie link on my machine at home. It's what made me decide to buy the bundle. I'll supply images if the link goes bad.

In the Official ASUS P750 'ask nedge' thread, I asked if anyone was getting the HSDPA promised in the link, because I'm not. I got lots of help with locations to try, and dudegalea told me he bought his P750 without SIM and put it on his Web 'n' Walk contract -- works fine on HSDPA in Bath. Another poster said he has the 'H' on Web 'n' Walk in North London, near me.

T-Mobile CS say I don't get HSDPA because I don't have Web 'n' Walk. My first bill last night shows 'Email Plan 12 for email and Internet web browsing'. I sent a detailed email with the link and images to eXpansys saying I only get '3G' (4 bars in Canary Wharf) and 'up to 384 Kbps' instead of the promised 'H' and 'up to 1.8 Mbps'. eXpansys are still checking.

Does anyone have eXpansys 'Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile' on any HSDPA device? Do you actually get HSDPA? If so, what plan does your T-Mobile bill say?

Thanks,

Richard

Have you done a speed test to confirm what connection speed you're getting? Also, you will only get a 'H' symbol when the phone is downloading something (an email or a web page) after which it will revert to a "3G" symbol. You probably know this already but just in case you didn't! Checked the link you posted and it does indeed state 1.8Mbps so either you will get 1.8Mbps or your money back (plus compensation) due to mis-selling.

Guest rireed
Have you done a speed test to confirm what connection speed you're getting? Also, you will only get a 'H' symbol when the phone is downloading something (an email or a web page) after which it will revert to a "3G" symbol. You probably know this already but just in case you didn't! Checked the link you posted and it does indeed state 1.8Mbps so either you will get 1.8Mbps or your money back (plus compensation) due to mis-selling.

Thanks everton2004.

I haven't been able to find a speed test that works. In any case, I've never seen the 'H', even whilst getting a big page standing within sight of a forest of masts.

Can you suggest a speed test?

Richard

Thanks everton2004.

I haven't been able to find a speed test that works. In any case, I've never seen the 'H', even whilst getting a big page standing within sight of a forest of masts.

Can you suggest a speed test?

Richard

Yes the one I normally use is over at DSLReports.com. Browse over to http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed from your handset and choose their 'Simple Mobile Speed Test' and that should give you an idea of what speed you are getting on your 3G connection.

Guest rireed
Yes the one I normally use is over at DSLReports.com. Browse over to http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed from your handset and choose their 'Simple Mobile Speed Test' and that should give you an idea of what speed you are getting on your 3G connection.

Cheers, but "Your browser doesn't fully support javascript. We cannot test your speed." Hope I can find a remedy. Not many browser options.

Richard

Oh well, same story. I wouldn't have thought WM6 would have a crippled browser!

Thanks anyway.

Ahh it looks like the dslreports website is suffering 'technical difficulties' as it is extremely slow and both Internet Explorer and Opera should be able to access it. I'm getting either the javascript error you are getting or a 'HTTP gateway timed out' error. I'd try again in a few hours. :D

Guest rireed
Ahh it looks like the dslreports website is suffering 'technical difficulties' as it is extremely slow and both Internet Explorer and Opera should be able to access it. I'm getting either the javascript error you are getting or a 'HTTP gateway timed out' error. I'd try again in a few hours. :D

It's getting closer -- I got a test, but no result :(

More important: The problem has been identified. The bundle was missold. :( T-Mo tech support temporarily gave me "Web 'n' Walk Plus" on top of my bundle contract (sold for "HSDPA" and "up to 1.8 Mbps") and the problem was instantly fixed.

For now, no one should buy eXpansys "Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile" if they expect HSDPA service for their HSDPA phone. It's possible this is a one-off, but I'm not optimistic. On the other hand, it's strange that eXpansys claim to have sold hundreds of these bundles since November 2007 and that I am the first to complain. I was only able to find one phone without HSDPA that they sold this bundle with.

I will post updates as I find out more.

Richard

Edited by rireed

Guest Mysterious Stranger
It's getting closer -- I got a test, but no result :(

More important: The problem has been identified. The bundle was missold. :D T-Mo tech support temporarily gave me "Web 'n' Walk Plus" on top of my bundle contract (sold for "HSDPA" and "up to 1.8 Mbps") and the problem was instantly fixed.

For now, no one should buy eXpansys "Smartphone Connect from T-Mobile" if they expect HSDPA service for their HSDPA phone. It's possible this is a one-off, but I'm not optimistic. On the other hand, it's strange that eXpansys claim to have sold hundreds of these bundles since November 2007 and that I am the first to complain. I was only able to find one phone without HSDPA that they sold this bundle with.

Richard

Send it back ASAP! They won't be able to add it on 'after the event' ( been there, tried that with a mis-sold t-mob contract a few years ago from a 3rd party connection agent) so it's easier to start again TBH. Tmobile won't care - they didn't sell the contract to you, and are unlikely to do you any favours.

M.S

Tmobile won't care - they didn't sell the contract to you, and are unlikely to do you any favours.

I agree, I got my previous handset (Vario II) and a Flext contract through the Modaco shop and when my handset developed a fault, T-Mob weren't interested. Can't say I blame them really as they didn't sell me the handset. Send it back, change the device and package. You can get a Flext package through Expansys which will include HSDPA access (though it might be wise to double check this first).

Guest rireed
I agree, I got my previous handset (Vario II) and a Flext contract through the Modaco shop and when my handset developed a fault, T-Mob weren't interested. Can't say I blame them really as they didn't sell me the handset. Send it back, change the device and package. You can get a Flext package through Expansys which will include HSDPA access (though it might be wise to double check this first).

IT'S BEEN FIXED :( :( :(

T-Mobile tech 'Lionel' found the problem. This was the third tech to see the 'enabled' HSDPA feature in the "PDA Email Plan 12' that implements eXpansys "Smartphone Connect by T-Mobile" bundle. The first two techs were distracted by this obvious ruse. 'Enabled' HSDPA must also be 'activated' and 'pushed through'. I right away got the 'H' on a page download.

The only reason this happened was that I insisted on speaking to a tech today Saturday so I would know what plan to switch to on Monday. The Web 'n' Walk plans all handle the HSDPA feature automatically when they are set. Clearly, for bundles not including Web 'n' Walk (that has 1G data, mine only 100M) the HSDPA must be handled manually. Until Lionel, no one knew how. Whoever set up the plan didn't even 'enable' HSDPA. That was done Thursday.

If someone doesn't screw up Monday, this will be fine. I'm just annoyed that I have to work all week-end to make up the time lost in front of my boss :( :D :(

Richard