Internet Sharing via WiFi for your Windows Mobile device

Guest mwright

Guest mwright
http://content.modaco.net/ICSControl.jpgWe have seen an application that lets you share your mobile internet connection wifi before in the form of WMWifiRouter, but there's new another kid on the block by the name of 'ICS Control'.

Detailed in full over at xda-developers, the application (which is very much in 'rapid development phase'), offers the following features:

ICS allows a private network (for example, an ad-hoc WiFi network) to access another network (for example, the internet) as long as the Windows Mobile device is connected to both networks. It should be able to share between any set of adapters. The common configurations of course would be:
Cellular to WiFi (probably the most common scenario, sharing internet access to a WiFi network)
Cellular to Bluetooth PAN
Cellular to USB
But it should also work with more "interesting" combinations like:
VPN to Wifi - get wireless clients onto a VPN
Wifi to Bluetooth - allow bluetooth network devices to access a WLAN.
Wifi to USB - basically the pda acts as a wireless network card for the PC (neat, eh?)

Have you tried it? Let us know how you get on! Note however that the application is currently only for Pocket PC devices, and not Smartphones.

Guest Mike1002

I guess if your device doesnt have the ipnat.dll file for this program to work, theres no real way to add it to you device?

My ipaq HW6915 seems lacking in these sort of areas :D

Mike.

Guest Dr Who

Just wondering whether these tools do what I think they do? I might be moving house soon and upgrading my Vario II. I was wondering whether I could just unlock my Vario II, get an unlimited data SIM and then use this as a wireless router for my home network? Seems pointless me having a fixed line put in when all I ever use it for is sending data down it. WOuld this work?

Guest Mr_Gee

maybe a bit offtopic, if so forgive me :-)

I'm looking for a program running on the PPC or desktop which allows me to use as a proxy...

the long explanation

At work they have blocked some sites, which I find really annoying, so I installed a virtual PC and have it hooked up to the

"PPC Internet sharing adapter" so everything I do in there is done through my phone.

I actually wanted a program which acts as a proxy and where i can specify the connection to use,

I could then just setup the proxy in another browser and surf that way...

Does anybody know of such a program?

or can ICS be used for this...

-=edit=-

also posted the question in the forum over there

Edited by Mr_Gee

Guest Dr Who
Yup it would ... although why not get a mobile broadband usb device if you are going to use if frequently.

Well, that would mean the 'server' PC would have to be on all the time. I have a few net devices and want a central access point for them to connect to, so just wondering whether the phone can run as a stand-alone router connecting over 3G (HSDPA)?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.