GPS only works with Google

Guest paulrw

Guest paulrw

i got my Stellar as a warranty replacement for a Trion, but it arrived as simply the phone, nothing else (e.g case, CD etc). I have tried to get the GPS working, downloaded several bits of software including TomTom taster, GPSGate etc, but the only thing that activates the GPS (i.e. flashes the amber LED) is Google Maps which works perfectly, finds a good number of satellites, generally faultless. I know warranty devices are often "fixed" returned devices, so it could be hardware, but Google working makes me think not. Following the same line of thought, I had a look at the registry and found a key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOnePort with the comm port set to Com1. Most things seem to look on Com1 or 7 - does anyone know if this is the correct setting? or of course have any other ideas what could be going on.

I did make what in retrospect was probably a mistake in that since I had to switch over quickly I used Sprite to backup my Trion and restore to the Stellar, so I am thinking about a hard reset anyway, just waiting to see if the 6.1 ROM comes out first :D

Guest dirlan2001
i got my Stellar as a warranty replacement for a Trion, but it arrived as simply the phone, nothing else (e.g case, CD etc). I have tried to get the GPS working, downloaded several bits of software including TomTom taster, GPSGate etc, but the only thing that activates the GPS (i.e. flashes the amber LED) is Google Maps which works perfectly, finds a good number of satellites, generally faultless. I know warranty devices are often "fixed" returned devices, so it could be hardware, but Google working makes me think not. Following the same line of thought, I had a look at the registry and found a key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\Drivers\GPSOnePort with the comm port set to Com1. Most things seem to look on Com1 or 7 - does anyone know if this is the correct setting? or of course have any other ideas what could be going on.

I did make what in retrospect was probably a mistake in that since I had to switch over quickly I used Sprite to backup my Trion and restore to the Stellar, so I am thinking about a hard reset anyway, just waiting to see if the 6.1 ROM comes out first :D

Hi,

Just learn to keep your fingers of the registry.

In Start | Settings you'll find an applet 'External GPS' ... Open it and check which COM ports are used. Normaly it should show Programs COM8 ; Hardware : COM6.

In TomTom check what GPS is used. It should be : Other NMEA, COM6, 4800 Baudrate... Let TT the time to look for the satelites and you'll know where you are....

Same goes for any GPS soft.

About the backup : Sprite cannot even restore to an updated WinMo (e.g WM6 --> WM6.1), let alone between different devices.

Cheers,

Dirk