Yet Another BJ II Question You're Tired of...

Guest b0llx

Guest b0llx

Greetings. I just got a BJII the other day, and I have a few questions.

I've poked around these forums, and apparently, there are 2 ways to make the GPS work. But before I ask which one is better, I need this question answered: Is it possible to use the GPS without a data plan?

I read this somewhere on the forums: "To get serious about gps you will want to buy a software package anyway but you can try things for free like Google Maps or Windows Live Search if you have data service."

Does this mean that there is a software package that will allow me to use the GPS without using the data service? If so, which one should I get?

Bonus question: This is my first smartphone. I've never had the instant messaging applications before. Are these covered by my text message plan, or is it an extra service? (I only get text messages and phone minutes...)

Thank you in advance for your help,

Keith

Edited by b0llx

Guest Confucious

GPS does not use data unless you are downloading the maps (eg Google)

You haven't said where you are but I'm guessing the US? You can buy various GPS software packages - in Europe I'd recommend CoPilot but it's expensive in the US as you have to buy all the maps. Garmin XT or Route 66 seem popular in the states.

As for messaging, again in Europe you would just use data, I believe there are some text based ones but you would have to ask your provider if they are included in your plan.

Welcome to the forums!

Guest b0llx
GPS does not use data unless you are downloading the maps (eg Google)

You haven't said where you are but I'm guessing the US? You can buy various GPS software packages - in Europe I'd recommend CoPilot but it's expensive in the US as you have to buy all the maps. Garmin XT or Route 66 seem popular in the states.

As for messaging, again in Europe you would just use data, I believe there are some text based ones but you would have to ask your provider if they are included in your plan.

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, I'm in the States. So are you saying that once I have a map program, no further downloading is necessary, that I could just download it to my computer, transfer it to my phone, and be done with it all?

Guest Confucious

Yes. GPS itself does not use data. CoPilot can send your position back using data and give you traic info and messages using data if you want but does not use data for mapping. only prrograms such as google which actually download the maps in real time do.

If you don't have a data plan it's a good idea to download nodata.cab from this site to make sure your phone can't connect without you knowing.

Guest b0llx
Yes. GPS itself does not use data. CoPilot can send your position back using data and give you traic info and messages using data if you want but does not use data for mapping. only prrograms such as google which actually download the maps in real time do.

If you don't have a data plan it's a good idea to download nodata.cab from this site to make sure your phone can't connect without you knowing.

Cool. Thanks alot!

Guest b0llx

I just did a couple of hard resets (for good measure). Does this mean that all I need to do now is get a GPS program?

Also, where can I find an application unlocker (or do I need one)?