Hands up all those who have dropped their phone!

Guest Paulplex

Guest Paulplex

Not posting this to ask for advice on the phone because it's broken: I just wanted some sympathy.

...I dropped my TyTN II out of the car when I was getting out tonight - it seems to work fine but the shiny black surround on the screen has a small scuff mark and the bottom around the battery cover is slightly gouged.

I scratched my shiny new phone :D

Guest shootydogthing

Dude, I threw mine across the room. it kept working, and even stayed on.

I've also dropped it onto a metal grating, luckily the battery (which flipped out) landed on it's side and didn't go through the bars.

Guest Boinng

I dropped my phone about ten times in the first month of ownership - I think it must have been to do with the extra weight or size compared with my old phone, I just kept fumbling it. Luckily (and I'm touching the desk as I type this) it's only fallen on carpet and other fairly soft surfaces, although often from some height and with quite a clatter, and miraculously it's unharmed - so far. A few times I had to nudge the top half back into alignment with the rest of it, but the hinge etc seems well designed to take the odd knock without actually breaking or loosening up too much. Internally speaking, it just keeps on ticking.

It's almost six months old now, and I've gotten a little better at keeping hold of it... I just know I'm going to chuck it out the window as soon as I've finished posting this though!

Edited by Boinng

Guest Quorthorn

I feel your pain. I dropped my Vario II a week after I bought it. I was fiddling around with it and it just slipped out of my hands and hit the concrete. I was so angry with myself. It's left a really obvious gouge on the back corner and still annoys me every time I look at it. I bought a Crystal case for it afterwards which is a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but hey.

Guest Starscreamer

Dropped my Vario III about 5 times. Worst two were two weeks ago when I was drunk after being to the footy. Left a nice big chunk of a scar out of the bottom right under the OK button on the front corner.

2nd drop was at the checkout in Morrisons when my other half was calling me. I again dropped it while taking it out of my pocket and hit the hard floor and exploded.

Luckily only the chunk and scratches on the surround and a lug or two snapped off from the rear cover. I gave in on using a screen protector not long after I got it as I just couldnt apply one without having dust or something under it. It took me a year to finally apply one perfectly to my old HP HX4700 and that was a much bigger screen.

I have 2 light scratches on the screen that I hardlys notice.

Going to buy an HTC Kaiser housing kit from ebay I think. I have the HTC Rom so I might as well go the whole hog and save the Vario III casing incase it needs to go back under warranty or insurance.

Oh and the metal surround at the top of the screen has a dent in it next to the screen, pushing down on the screen too I think, so I need to replace the housing ASAP.

Anyone know where I can find instructions online? I want to replace the housing but worried it could be too difficult. Obviously the rear is easy, the front fascia looks more difficult and I don't need to replace the keyboard at all.

Can you buy screens?

...By the way, you swear and cry when you drop it the first time. After that you're carefree :D

Edited by Starscreamer

Guest Paulplex
Anyone know where I can find instructions online? I want to replace the housing but worried it could be too difficult. Obviously the rear is easy, the front fascia looks more difficult and I don't need to replace the keyboard at all.

Hiya,

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.modaco.com/content/pocket-pc-ge...antling-guides/

...Mike Channon has provided links to HTC service manuals that can help you with taking apart your Kaiser and sticking it back together again, should you need to.

Download the service guide directly from http://rapidshare.com/files/103168855/HTC_...ual_jas_pik.pdf

i have nvr dropped my phone! i wear cargo pants to make sure i have a place for my phone to live

i had a psp lanyard on my phone for a wile but it started to look ratty so i too the lanyard form my wii and put it on. i always make sure i have my lanyard around my wrist before i pull it out of my pocket. if it wasent for the lanyard i would have to say i droped this phone over a dozen times lol.

Guest Paulplex
i have nvr dropped my phone! i wear cargo pants to make sure i have a place for my phone to live

i had a psp lanyard on my phone for a wile but it started to look ratty so i too the lanyard form my wii and put it on. i always make sure i have my lanyard around my wrist before i pull it out of my pocket. if it wasent for the lanyard i would have to say i droped this phone over a dozen times lol.

Of course, nobody intends to drop their phone and normally I take great care not to damage my TyTN II - but there is taking the over-protectiveness a bit far, don't you think?

...make sure you've lined the inside of your cargo pant pockets with cotton wool and bubble wrap, won't you? :D As I see it now anyway, my phone has "character".

Guest andrewkeith5

I[/i[ have never dropped my vario iii. I was, however, somewhat annoyed when a friend of mine dropped it while trying to figure out how the keyboard opened

luckily, the back hit the floor flat, so the only mark was a chip in the paint of the camera surround

sort of annoying...i suppose it is better than the first time i dropped my motorola a835 (when it fell out of my pocket when playing tennis and i kicked it 25 feet across the tennis courts)

Guest Transform

I got my Vario 3 back in November and haven't dropped it yet! However, annoyingly I have noticed particularly when in the sunlight that the clear plastic that protects the camera on the back of the phone is covered with dust on the inside. I'm just wondering how long it will be until this starts to affect the picture quality...

Guest fdrzrich
I got my Vario 3 back in November and haven't dropped it yet! However, annoyingly I have noticed particularly when in the sunlight that the clear plastic that protects the camera on the back of the phone is covered with dust on the inside. I'm just wondering how long it will be until this starts to affect the picture quality...

Just open it and clean it out... In fact I recommend doing this before taking any pictures as it improves the quality loads!

Guest Paulplex
...i suppose it is better than the first time i dropped my motorola a835 (when it fell out of my pocket when playing tennis and i kicked it 25 feet across the tennis courts)

My brother had an old Ericson phone (before it became Sony Ericson that is) which he managed to drop into deep wet concrete; a few years later however when that said concrete was being taken back up again, he was able to retrieve his phone (chipping it out of its stoney grave!) and - amazingly - it still worked after a charge!

Guest Transform
Just open it and clean it out... In fact I recommend doing this before taking any pictures as it improves the quality loads!

what do you mean just open it up? seems like i would have to take a thousand other things off to get to it!

Guest Shuflie
My brother had an old Ericson phone (before it became Sony Ericson that is) which he managed to drop into deep wet concrete; a few years later however when that said concrete was being taken back up again, he was able to retrieve his phone (chipping it out of its stoney grave!) and - amazingly - it still worked after a charge!

You were about 26 days too late for a story like that one :D

Guest falfa

Its funny, phones seem to fall in slow motion. Either that or the human body speeds up and thrashes around like a loony to catch it.

I dropped my old Vario II a number of times, resulting in a couple of scuffs. When I got the Vario II I had an Eten M600, on my last day with that (I planned to stick it on Ebay) I dropped it on a gravel path, scraping the screen and the plastic casing opened a bit. I was pretty gutted.

Of course, nobody intends to drop their phone and normally I take great care not to damage my TyTN II - but there is taking the over-protectiveness a bit far, don't you think?

...make sure you've lined the inside of your cargo pant pockets with cotton wool and bubble wrap, won't you? :D As I see it now anyway, my phone has "character".

OMG how did you guess i thought i would be considered a freak if i posted i did that too LOL. no but for real i dont think i went a bit far when trying to protect my $400 investment. its not like i have to go to a specialty store to buy my pants, and they have cargo shorts as well (there all jeans and when i need to wear dress pants i dont get cargo dress pants lol). im sure that if you have a laptop you bought a case for it for when you travel so it doesnt get borked so i really dont see a differance.

Guest Paulplex
OMG how did you guess i thought i would be considered a freak if i posted i did that too LOL. no but for real i dont think i went a bit far when trying to protect my $400 investment. its not like i have to go to a specialty store to buy my pants, and they have cargo shorts as well (there all jeans and when i need to wear dress pants i dont get cargo dress pants lol). im sure that if you have a laptop you bought a case for it for when you travel so it doesnt get borked so i really dont see a differance.

...just winding you up mate: I'm thinking of different cases for my phone now as a result of the recent knock :D

Guest Confucious

The camera on my Ameo no longer works, it's got more scratches and dents than I care to mention but, apart from the camera, still works fine.

I really should be more careful....

Guest gs_london

I know the feeling.

I have dropped my Kaiser a couple of times on carpet and no damage, but different story with my VarioII. I was sitting on a park bench eating lunch and the phone slipped out of my pocket and dropped through the gap between the seat and he backrest of the bench. I reached down to retrieve it but to my horror my workmate was a bit quicker than me and having thinner arms managed to grab it first. She then DRAGGED the phone across the floor till she could get a better grip and handed it to me with a smile.

I was mortified. There probably was very minimal damage before she decided to 'help out' - now the phone has a few scars :D

Guest Mr Alom
Not posting this to ask for advice on the phone because it's broken: I just wanted some sympathy.

...I dropped my TyTN II out of the car when I was getting out tonight - it seems to work fine but the shiny black surround on the screen has a small scuff mark and the bottom around the battery cover is slightly gouged.

I scratched my shiny new phone :D

I completely sympathise with you!! :( I had my previous phone/device for just over 12 months and it didn't have a tiny scartch but my Kaiser I droped it on the 3rd month after I got the device and that really gave me couple of sleepless nights (early this year).