Returning to WM, considering the Touch Cruise - please help

Guest Chimpanzee

Guest Chimpanzee

Hi.

I'm a bit out of touch with the Windows Mobile world now. I had a HTC BlueAngel up until about a year ago, then got a Nokia N95. Now I want to go back to WM. I'm really considering getting a HTC Touch Cruise. The main features I like are:

-Interface

-Screen Size

-3G

-GPS

-WiFi

Before I dive in, I'd like to know if people think this is a good idea?! Anyone got one who can comment on it's performance. For example, my N95 has built-in GPS but it takes about 10-15 minutes to connect to the satellites and find my location, rendering it useless! Does the Cruise suffer from this? Also, are you able to use the built-in GPS with 3rd party software like TomTom or iGo? Are there any bad points of the Cruise.

Finally, I'd just like to know if there are any even better devices on the horizon that I should wait for?

Thanks in advance!

Guest andrewkeith5

if you liked winows mobile before, then you will still like it - it has only got better

as far as the gps is concerned, the one on my kaiser (which i believe is the same module as the TC) is brilliant - you can use it with any sat nav software you want, and on my device it usually gets a fix within 30 seconds - if it doesnt, usually a satellite details update with quickgps does the trick

the current series of htc devices are truly amazing, and i can't think of a significant negative point. however, htc are making some sort of announcement on the 5th of may that is expected to be an announcement of new devices, so it might be worth your while waiting until then to see if theres anything you might want to wait for - paul will be liveblogging it afaik

any other questions please ask!

andrew

Guest Chimpanzee
if you liked winows mobile before, then you will still like it - it has only got better

as far as the gps is concerned, the one on my kaiser (which i believe is the same module as the TC) is brilliant - you can use it with any sat nav software you want, and on my device it usually gets a fix within 30 seconds - if it doesnt, usually a satellite details update with quickgps does the trick

the current series of htc devices are truly amazing, and i can't think of a significant negative point. however, htc are making some sort of announcement on the 5th of may that is expected to be an announcement of new devices, so it might be worth your while waiting until then to see if theres anything you might want to wait for - paul will be liveblogging it afaik

any other questions please ask!

andrew

Thanks! I see MoDaCo users are as clued-in now as they were when I left! I was reluctant to leave WM in the first place. It was only because Orange offered me a free N95 that I thought I'd give it a go. Regret it now! :D

I think I will wait for the May announcement. Thanks for letting me know.

Is there any more info on the Touch Diamond, Pro and Dual Pro (just read Paul's news post)? Are they due to supersede the Cruise or are they going to be lower level devices? Or are these the devices that are expected to be discussed in May and I jumping the gun a bit?! :(

Cheeers,

Andrew

Guest andrewkeith5

they're the three devies that we're expecting to see launched in may...

at the moment, pauls post pretty much sums up all the info we have, it was literally leaked this morning by engadget. i'm not sure that they're superceding the touchcruise, but i believe they will be the next touch and touchdual, and both have gps, which sort of makes the cruise pointless in the lineup

Guest Paul (MVP)

The diamond specs seem to supercede the cruise in pretty much every way, I would see it as the Touch and the Cruise are becoming one in the Diamond?

P

Guest Chimpanzee
The diamond specs seem to supercede the cruise in pretty much every way, I would see it as the Touch and the Cruise are becoming one in the Diamond?

P

Oh right. I thought the Cruise superceded the Touch already? Are there features on the Touch that are missing from the Cruise?

Guest Chimpanzee
Well, I suppose it did, but the Touch still exists.

Hmmmm, not long to wait for the Diamond... :D

P

Do you mean that it's being released in May? I thought that just when it was being officially announced.

I've seen some pictures of it now. Look very nice.