Stop reboot loop in wm6 on htc s710 / vox / e650 !

Guest realaxed

Guest realaxed

Hi guys.

I'm just posting this message here because I'm not sure if the information has been spread around on the internet enough.

Recently I have been recieving the dreaded reboot loop on my htc vox and I'm pretty sure I have found a solution that will work for most htc s710 users here. the solution was found on modaco, but this information is not listed in this forum at all. (so someone with a vox may not find it)

Here is a quote from "pts" on another forum here at modaco:

"I had a similar problem on my S710 and couldn’t locate the file omap850_sdhc_mux.dll in windows directory for the renaming solution.

But then I found another solution from one MS forum. Change the ‘Home Screen’ layout to Windows Simple, colour scheme & background image to default. Then it boots OK, consistently. (If the SD recognized and being mounted as ‘Storage Card2’ then rename the folder ‘Storage Card’ to something else and re-boot).

In that discussion thread there was some mention of the Home Screen loading process being initiated prior to the SDHC card driver being loaded. In such case, if there are any references to the Storage Card locations during the Home Screen flash process (actually, I had installed few apps on the SD that displays contents on the Home Screen), then it gets into such boot loops."

I've tested this solution. (changing my homescreen to windows simple (or basic)) And it works for me. If you find out that your homescreen is the problem remember to check what plugins your current favorite homescreen uses. Many of the interesting ones use the smartmonitor, facade, or phone alarm plugins. Just make sure that none of your plugins are installed on your SD card and this should resolve the issue. Even if you're pretty sure they're saved to your device it won't hurt to uninstall them (after changing your homescreen to simple) then reinstall them on your device. You'll know if this solution has worked the next time you have loaded your good homescreen and rebooted. The homescreen that I like uses facade and smartmonitor. It seems that smart monitor was the culprit as after I uninstalled the plugin, then reinstalled it on my device I stopped receiving the reboot loop with my homescreen.

I also posted the exact same thing at a htc wiki located here http://www.htcwiki.com/thread/770869/WM6+s...card+inserted...

Ok guys. Hope that helps someone. :D

Guest realaxed

Yes. But i'm sure it's rather annoying to alot of people to have to pop out their SD every time.

AND, if you are using the registry hack so that your SD card may be used for email storage then you really don't want to have your SD card out during startup. (if you do you'll wind up with two storage card folders and things could potentially get messy)

Guest Looby

Hi realaxed, you are right. It is essential that all plugins that have any Homescreen connection should be allocated to the phone memory to stop the problem you mention. On the Nectun Forum in France many people encountered the same issue with the LCD plugin when they placed it on the storage card with the introduction of the Vox/E650. :D

Guest wizgnome

When I first got my S710 last year it started suffering from the re-boot loop.

Removing my SD card allowed it to boot normally.

If I ensured that nothing on the homescreen accessed the SD card - plugins and the MRU list - and that nothing accessing the SD card was in the startup folder then it would boot without having to remove the SD card.

This meant I had to change the homescreen (to say windows simple) before any reboot, and if my phone crashed crashed I was having to remove the sd card, reboot, change the home screen, put bach the sd-card and reboot again (otherwise the sd card appeared as sd card 2 and confused smart tool kit which I was running) and change the homescreen back.

However since updating the rom to the latest release from HTC, I have not suffered with this problem again.

Mike

Edited by wizgnome

Guest archie_658

It's very annoying to have to pull out the SD card every time you need it to boot, and even dangerous when you're on the road, using the phone for navigation. The boot problem of my S710 started after installing Facade (I could replay that by restoring a Sprite back up of the day before).

I got rid of it by loading the defaults of the phone by a complete reset of it. After restoring a Sprite back up with Facade installed, the phone was ok. I could even upgrade Facade to 1.4.1 without getting the boot problems back.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JanKing

I had this problem - taking the card out at every boot was a pain. I flashed it to Dr Gonzo's WM6.1 (for other reasons) and found that the re-boot cycling had disappeared.

JK

• 5 months later...
Guest ICQEagle

Use SKTools Lite and clean the duplicates in the Notification List from time to time! This is a Windows bug...

If you do this it will never get into this reboot cycle.