Opera Mini questions

Guest stigdu

Guest stigdu

I just discovered this new browser and (thought I) installed it onto my phone - I really like it and would like to use it as my default browser.

I have a HTC TyTn II, but cann't find the program anywhere except a file called opera-min-4-blahblah.jar which is on the root of my storage card.

So I guess I need to put this somewhere where I can access it easier.

a) can I copy it somewhere so that it will be available in the main ;programs' list on my phone?

:( Can I set it up so that when I click on the internet explorer silver button on the left of my phone, opera comes up rather than IE?

Thanks in advance! :D

Guest stigdu

I couldn't fix the problem, so I tried Opera Mobile 8.65 instead and this looks good too.

Are there major differences between Opera mini and Opera Mobile, except you have to pay for Opera Mobile?

Opera Mobile also seemed a little slower on my phone, but at least it put a 'opera browser' icon on my pocket pc for easy access whenever I want to use it rather than opera mini which i had to install the entire program each time I wanted to browse the net using it....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RickyMartin
I couldn't fix the problem, so I tried Opera Mobile 8.65 instead and this looks good too.

Are there major differences between Opera mini and Opera Mobile, except you have to pay for Opera Mobile?

Opera Mobile also seemed a little slower on my phone, but at least it put a 'opera browser' icon on my pocket pc for easy access whenever I want to use it rather than opera mini which i had to install the entire program each time I wanted to browse the net using it....

Hello

You have to execute the file from you Java application, I think it's MDIP or soemthing like that. I use Opera Mini on my HTC Touch and it's very good.

Kind regards

Ricky

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Menneisyys
I just discovered this new browser and (thought I) installed it onto my phone - I really like it and would like to use it as my default browser.

I have a HTC TyTn II, but cann't find the program anywhere except a file called opera-min-4-blahblah.jar which is on the root of my storage card.

So I guess I need to put this somewhere where I can access it easier.

a) can I copy it somewhere so that it will be available in the main ;programs' list on my phone?

:( Can I set it up so that when I click on the internet explorer silver button on the left of my phone, opera comes up rather than IE?

Thanks in advance! :D

Read my Opera Mini 4.0 / 4.1 install guide, it's been cross-posted to MoDaCo as well.

Guest Michael H

I feel Opera Mini is better than Opera Mobile 8.65 for a number of reasons:

1. Integration of bookmarks with my.opera.com so you can maintain bookmarks from a desktop browser, if necessary. This also provides a nice way to backup your bookmarks and "speed dial" items so you can restore them to a new version of Opera Mini

2. Speed Dial items ... hit * + 1-9 for quick access to 9 bookmarks

3. "Show Overview" option which shows pages initially zoomed out so you can quickly navigate to the portion of the page that you want to see.

4. Mobile View - pages are displayed in a single column to eliminate horizontal scrolling

** However, the mobile view requires much paging to get to the content on many sites (where you have to skip through the navigation links and advertisements) so I much prefer the overview because it allows me to get to the content quicker.

5. Opera Mini works through, and only through a proxy. This can raise some security issues. However, it allows for the compression of images and page optimization occurs on their servers so the browsing experience can be much faster than Opera Mobile which needs to pull everything off the web server directly.

6. Support for bookmarklets like the Del.icio.us bookmarklet which allows you to execute javascript in a bookmark. When you link a bookmarklet to a speed dial item you can quickly post an item to Delicious with little or no additional data entry.

7. For some reason I just seem to get more done with Opera Mini. It manages to get out of my way and let me get my job done more than Opera Mobile.

I just have to say that Opera Mini is a much better experience for me.

There are, of course, benefits to Opera Mobile 8.65. Some of them are:

1. WAP number key shortcuts are supported so you can quickly select items without scrolling to select them first. (However there are drawbacks here because Opera Mobile does support using number keys to scroll quickly through the content, but they are overridden by the WAP numbers which causes some sites to behave differently).

2. From a security standpoint, secure connections with Opera Mobile are secure from your phone to the server. This is not the case with Opera Mini. Your connections are secure from your phone to Opera's server and then from Opera's server to the website. However, that leaves a window of opportunity for someone to get to your unencrypted data on Opera's servers so you really have to trust Opera here.

All this may change if and when Opera Mobile 9.5 is finally released to the general public.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...