i780 mouse pointer - what is it useful for?

Guest Lugus von Thierfeld

I got the i780 for a month now and one of the first things i did was to switch off the mouse and convert the optical sensor into the four directional mode. I saw an app that allows for fast switching between modes here on MoDaCo and I am wondering - what can be the mouse mode useful for? Considering the touchscreen where you can go with your finger much faster than a mouse pointer, why would you find the tiny mouse pointer more useful? I am just trying to find its utility. Anyone uses it for some specific application? Thanks for sharing.

Peace.

One hand control of the device, try to touch the screen while holding the device with the same hand ;-)

Not a problem when you hold the phone in your right hand - you can easily touch the screen with your thumb. I can reach all of it comfortably. Used to it from my Treo that had a pretty awsome one hand operation (PalmOS). I think that the mouse pointer for one hand operation is pretty awkward. I mean, do people really use it for one hand operation? Anyone else? Thanks.

Edited by Lugus von Thierfeld

Guest ~DC:UK~

I use the FingerMouse just because its easier to navigate with one hand. Touching can be unresponsive sometimes because of the recessed LCD so I find the FingerMouse the best option, although its not as accurate when using RealVGA in 96dpi mode!

Guest svegeta
I use the FingerMouse just because its easier to navigate with one hand. Touching can be unresponsive sometimes because of the recessed LCD so I find the FingerMouse the best option, although its not as accurate when using RealVGA in 96dpi mode!

I used to think also that the mouse will be useless... but actually it isnt. It's great at one hand navigation specially if you have to click the taskbar portion of the screen :D It's a matter of getting used to :(

• 1 month later...
Guest zenkinz
I used to think also that the mouse will be useless... but actually it isnt. It's great at one hand navigation specially if you have to click the taskbar portion of the screen :D It's a matter of getting used to :(

4-directional pad is useful if the screen is filled with a limited number of navigation steps. But a mouse would be more productive dealing with a screen with complex navigation such as web browsing (with so many links).

I use both mode depending on the applications I am in. Some applications also do not respond well to the mouse so having the mouse toggle is a must!

• 4 weeks later...

After a long time of using the i780 I have almost never used the mouse. It doesnt seem to make sense when you can touch the screen, to move around with a small pointer. In the real life conditions when one wants to do things fast out on the street, the mouse pointer is completely unusable. I wish they used a regular hardware button like on the blackjack, that would be much more convenient in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest silencer22

could someone please send me the fingermouse file? this file allows u to control the setting of the mouse pointer

its located in the window directory, you will need to reveal the file via the Show All Files from the menu..

please..

could you upload to a file server ?

thanks in advanced!

Guest silencer22
If the one I have on my Spanish i780 from Orange can help you, I guess I can upload it to the forum.

yes, sure,

thx alot for ur help :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest babybob

Hi

Here's my 2 cents starting with some back history. Ive been a long running windows mobile fan, but only of smartphones, not pocketpcs. My wife has had a pocket pc for years that Ive used on and off and hated it. I always found PPCs are no good as phones, I just want to start dialing and get someones number not have to press the call button then use the fiddly on screen keyboard. An trying to read text messages and alerts without getting the stylus out has always been a joke.

Anyway due to the fact there are no wm smartphones with a GPS (kinda need that for developing) I went for the i780 hoping I could put up with the stylus as it had a keboard at least. I can say without a doubt the fingermouse is the saving grace of this phone for me. I've had it 3 months and cant even remember where the stylus is I use it so infrequently. For those of you who are happy using the touchscreen Im amazed, I find you have to press much harder than other PPCs and of course as the screen is smaller getting at small buttons in applications would be a nightmare for me.

Being able to single handedly use the PPC without ever using the stylus but with great precision is why I love this phone, for those of you who hate the fingermouse give it a few days and turn the sensitivity up so you are not continously scrolling across the pad. I would seriously reconsider buying another PPC without a fingermouse in future

Brian