The 'HTC 6th May Product Launch' coverage post (now with official specs)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
Has the screen responsiveness and sensitivity been increased to match that which we get in the Iphone, or does it still feel like any ordinary windows mobile "resistive touchscreen"?

MUCH improved...

Feels like a normal screen.

P

Guest shoey5
- The screen is NOT capacitive due to acceptable user experience for handwriting recognition essential in asian markets

There are a few capacitive touch screens that can be used with finger or normal stylus. HTC should have gone with one of those screens, capacitive screen for better finger user experience and still stylus for asian markets. Best of both worlds and it would have made the Diamond the true iPhone Killer.

Can't comment on the screen, I'm happy they put a glass on it and I've read it's more sensitive so I'm hoping it won't be frustrating to use with fingers but the other advantage with capacitive screens at least the one on the iPhone. I can view the iPhone screen at arms length when it's facing direct sunlight, my HTC P3600 is barely readable even with my hand providing some shade in direct sunlight. They really shot have gone with a capacitive touch screen.

Guest nickcornaglia

Missed the live coverage due to schedule....but read back and watched the vids/pics.

BEAUTIFUL device and VERY tempting. Smaller than I thought. Looks like the perfect PPC size for me. No keyboard necessary.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the fact that the UI, like the Touch, is limited to TouchFlo apps for the most part. Really want the experience to continue thru the rest of the on board apps. At least the rotation of screen orientation when the device is held sideways. Almost seems like an oversight. Or did I not read through enough? May have to wait for 7.0 for the full experience....but this is very very very close to where I want it to be! (which is the best parts of the iPhone mixed with the best of WM!)

Guest n20nine

wow, beautiful device...only bummer is the lack of a storage card and perhaps the tri-band gsm and dual-band 3g...otherwise..its simply amazing...i wonder how the iphone 3g will be...anyway, its coming out around the same time - june.

Guest JochenAndries

Aren't the buttons to big ?

When you see vids and pics, it seems like the screen is smal, because the buttons are large...

I'll wait for the Pro, I really need the keyboard. As network administrator, I do almost everything (adding users, exchange, accessrights, remote control,...) from my phone (now the S710 !!) when I am away from the keyboard.

Guest neilg

I cant listen to the sound on the vid as I am at work. It looks like the messaging apps don't rotate - is this the case? Also was ti possible to pop up the qwerty side on in the messaging apps? was there enough screen real estate to make this usable. Looks like you still have to click the fiddly 'X' to close a message and go to the next one :D....

Guest Metoo

I'm not one to be swayed by fancy graphics alone, and from watching the video, the actual usability seemed poor. Lots of repeated stabbing at the tiny Start and X buttons, delays before menus open, and the response overall seems laggy, with some frustrating delays and too many ambiguous and inconsistent taps and strokes needed to do apparently simple tasks (like get back to the home screen).

Guest creamhackered

Unfortunately without any synergy in the Windows Mobile OS itself HTC just adding applications and trying to re-org the OS itself isn't helping. Microsoft need to take a serious look at Windows Mobile and get up to speed with the core of the OS so that you can navigate to any area and it functions the same (in terms of UI and interaction) as any other. Don't get me wrong I like Windows Mobile but the UI and OS is lacking and needs a major refresh. Still no multi touch either, come on MS! Jeeze

Edited by creamhackered

Guest Metoo
Unfortunately without any synergy in the Windows Mobile OS itself HTC just adding applications and trying to re-org the OS itself isn't helping. Microsoft need to take a serious look at Windows Mobile and get up to speed with the core of the OS so that you can navigate to any area and it functions the same (in terms of UI and interaction) as any other. Don't get me wrong I like Windows Mobile but the UI and OS is lacking and needs a major refresh. Still no multi touch either, come on MS! Jeeze

Exactly, and you can bet the X1 which everyone is lusting after at the moment will be just the same (or probably worse, seeing that SE are doing the software).

The sooner HTC move away from WM as the core OS the better. MS have had years to get PPC/WM right and they still haven't a clue how to design a UI. 2008 and the only major feature they can offer with 6.1 is "zoom" in IE? Paleeeeze...

Come on Google, where are you....

Edited by Metoo

Guest creamhackered
IMHO multitouch is overrated...

P

Why? The games aspect makes it worth it alone. I am glad they have started using an accelerometer as that's a great idea too, who wants to press something to move the screen around. They're getting there and hopefully with a push from MS it will make Windows Mobile even better

Guest Syphon Filter
IMHO multitouch is overrated...

P

Yeah, I agree.

Wow! You can zoom in and out! Amazing.

Though, as stated above, using it for gaming purposes (ie being able to display a control pad on screen and use many buttons at once) is very nifty. It's a bit to embryonic at the moment. As the applications and technology gets better then I think it will have a lot more to offer. Currently, its more of a gimmick.

Guest creamhackered
If it's zooming you care about, the zoom function on the dpad of the diamond performs the same thing.

P

Yeah and that's fine for pictures but the dpad won't cater for games. The spore iPhone demo is a good example of how multi touch will be great for gaming alongside an accelerometer - I think they definitely need to build multi touch into Windows Mobile.

Guest shoey5
Hmmm, once the video is up, will check.

TV - yes, over 3G.

P

In regards to HTC's website saying 192 Megs of Ram and the device saying 128 Megs of ram. Just a thought but the device seems very snappy, much snappier than other WinMo devices at the same speed. Could be that it does have 192 Megs of ram but they've allocated it in a way that it's reserved for the Touch Flo software so they can have optimum speed keeping it in memory at all times and still giving the user a decent amount of free program memory for other applications. Of course this is just a guess to explain the difference but could be the case.

Did anyone check to see how much Program Memory was actually available after hard booting the device, and the average free memory after using it awhile?

Guest Paul (MVP)

It has 192MB RAM. 128MB conventional RAM, and 64MB alongside the CPU (I believe).

I expect the shipping ROM to display '192MB RAM'.

P

Guest Metoo
Handset Only Price: £434.95 (370.17 exc.)

Availability: Due Thursday 19th June

Hahaha. This is Expansys. Dates will slip and prices will change. :D

Guest Metoo
Just a thought but the device seems very snappy, much snappier than other WinMo devices at the same speed.

Looking at Paul and Arne's videos, that's not my impression at all. 2s or more to open Start or Settings. 2-3s delay between changing home screen pages. So much so that both reviewers often tapped/swiped twice because it looked like nothing was happening. I'd find that incredibly frustrating for day-to-day use.

Guest Paul (MVP)

The experience varied between devices I tried. The usual caveats apply, pre-prod hardware, pre-prod software, devices abused by allcomers... but it definitely felt snappier than my Kaiser in general use (in my proper play off camera).

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.