The 'HTC 6th May Product Launch' coverage post (now with official specs)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Syphon Filter
Check out the end of this video:

On the settings tab, pressing the 'Sound' option brings up the following profile-ish screen (sorry about blurry screen grab):

post-3165-1210234255_thumb.png

I am willing to bet that's not true profiles .

Normal = Standard Ringing/Vibrate/Whatever you set it to

Vibrate = Vibrate only (like if you do the drop down thing and select the vibrate radio button in winmo at the moment)

Silent = no vibrate or ring

Automatic = depends on what you hve in your calendar.

This is not a real profiles thing like you would find on non-winmo devices.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Hi,

can someone confirm this device can capture video in VGA mode like SEXPeria?

Really hope they make it..

If not better wait for Xperia..

more capacity battery, keyboard, wvga screen, microSD slot, flash & vga recording...hmmm..

I couldn't tell the res, it was just 'L'!

P

Guest Metoo
Hi,

can someone confirm this device can capture video in VGA mode like SEXPeria?

Really hope they make it..

If not better wait for Xperia..

more capacity battery, keyboard, wvga screen, microSD slot, flash & vga recording...hmmm..

Let's hope that SE's engineers don't screw it up then, like they did with their other bug-ridden smartphones...

Guest globecode

Paul, great coverage on this. Was anything ever asked about Voice Command since there is no hardware button for it?

Also, did you notice if the phone had Live Search installed?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I didn't see Live Search installed by default, no. I don't recall seeing Voice Command, but IIRC I scrolled the programs menu in my video...

P

Guest shootydogthing
They designed the device to be mainly used in portrait, and talked about how text input onscreen works best in portrait mode etc. etc. I personally think the rotation should have been system wide too, hopefully we (as developers) can hook into the sensor and just implement it ourselves :D

P

I'm hoping you'll be able to use it, someone can make a program that will sense turning and automatically rotate the screen. maybe bake it into a ROM...

ALSO, if I were at HTC I'd make a second version that's the 2mm thicker but has the MicroSD slot and maybe a camera button too, let people choose between slimness and expanadablility?

Guest shootydogthing
Thanks shooty.My G.Ma said to say thanks you & the Jasjar still waits for you :( :o

What's the deal, I buy a Jasjar and get a Raphael too? How about I swap my kaiser for the Jasjar and Raphael :D

Guest Toyota-F1.com

I don't think I've seen anyone defend HTC and say that they're not fussed that the Touch Diamond does not have a MicroSD slot, so I will.

HTC, for me, your 4GB internal storage is plenty so thankyou for that, and I'd rather that than a MicroSD card slot [as long as when you connect to the computer you can choose whether or not to charge the phone - I look after my batteries by charging them carefully. But even then I only occasionally transfer data between the two]. And I don't mind you removing the camera button (as long as there is one-touch/two RAPID touch access to the camera). Now please give me a HTC Titanium because I'm not buying a Diamond. Thankyou.

Guest Paul (MVP)

To access camera:

- Turn on device

- Select the Camera tab on homescreen UI

- Press the Camera icon

Not 1 press, but not TOO bad I guess. Still would have preferred a dedicated button!

P

Guest Perfectionist

I can't believe they left out a Camera button !! WTF !! :(

Why in hell didn't HTC introduce all 3 devices at this event ?? Even if the Raphael is due for release for a while yet ..... it would still have made things seem much less of the anti-climax it was !! :D

HTC have got Apple-Envy !! :o

Guest shootydogthing
I don't think I've seen anyone defend HTC and say that they're not fussed that the Touch Diamond does not have a MicroSD slot, so I will.

HTC, for me, your 4GB internal storage is plenty so thankyou for that, and I'd rather that than a MicroSD card slot [as long as when you connect to the computer you can choose whether or not to charge the phone - I look after my batteries by charging them carefully. But even then I only occasionally transfer data between the two]. And I don't mind you removing the camera button (as long as there is one-touch/two RAPID touch access to the camera). Now please give me a HTC Titanium because I'm not buying a Diamond. Thankyou.

I must say it would probably be enough for me too, but being able to put films on there and watch them in VGA... I might use it differently and fill it up damn fast

Guest Alkali
What's the deal, I buy a Jasjar and get a Raphael too? How about I swap my kaiser for the Jasjar and Raphael :(

I suggested so to her but no way!the old baby hates the name "Jasjar"

:D

Guest iRiKi

for me, the most dissapointing thing was the lack of non-transflective (or capacitive, as they now call it) screen. in the sunlight, normal HTC screens are almost IMPOSSIBLE to read anything.. and believe me, here in portugal we have a LOT of sunlight :D

Guest shootydogthing
for me, the most dissapointing thing was the lack of non-transflective (or capacitive, as they now call it) screen. in the sunlight, normal HTC screens are almost IMPOSSIBLE to read anything.. and believe me, here in portugal we have a LOT of sunlight :D

Capacitive is a kind of touchscreen technology, it's nothing to do with the readability :(

Guest Alkali
Capacitive is a kind of touchscreen technology, it's nothing to do with the readability :D

Shooty, have you ever played with the iphone?how does this capacitive techno compare with that?

There will be no peace of mind untill and unless someone create touch screen technology that beats the iphone.forget all other aspects, just the touch screen!

Edited by Alkali

Guest shootydogthing

Yes, I have played with an iPhone. But I don't understand your question.

My point was that the above poster seems to think capacitative is a way of making the actual SCREEN, rather than the touchscreen technology

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Two points:

Is the 65,536 colours for the screen enough? Years ago, SonyEricsson began to put 262k+ colour screens in there devices (e.g. SonyEricsson K750i), and my parents have a Nokia 6300 which has a 16,000,000+ colour screen.

Secondly, especially after Paul's MWg news, I reckon that the Titanium/Raphael could well have Windows Mobile 7. Perhaps this one of the reasons they haven't announced it yet.

Guest shootydogthing

Hmm. why release one of a family of 3 with one OS and the others with a different one? Unless it's updateable later on, due to the higher specs... The MWg stuff seems fishy to me, but this ain't the place for talking about that :D

Guest ratcom
I'm really shocked so many people are putting a downer on this phone.

I thought we were going to have till 2009 and WinMo 7 to get a modern interface on Winmo handset.

Just think this is just the entry level version, all the new HTC Winmo phones will have this Gui and I'm sure updated versions of it.

So when the replacements for Touch and PDA and Smartphones series are released there will be a varity of options and specs.

I've had Winmo phones since the orignal SPV i think this will be the first time ill be able show my mates that i have cool phone instead of telling i have it because

i need for work.

Here here I'm thinking the very same!

Guest shootydogthing

I doubt THIS interface will be available on smartphones, it's too touch orientated. They MIGHT be working on another for smartphones

Guest shoey5
Capacitive is a kind of touchscreen technology, it's nothing to do with the readability :(

I think he's mistaking capacitive touch with the iPhone's screen in direct sunlight. Compared to current WinMo devices, it's night and day. If I take my HTC P3600 and hold it next to an iPhone at arms length in direct sunlight, the iPhone is 100% viewable where as with my P3600, i'm lucky if I can see the screen when I'm trying to block the sun out with my hand.

This has nothing to do with Capacitive Touch but I agree with him, would be nice to have a WinMo device that was viewable outside like the iPhone, would be even nicer if the Touch Diamond had such a screen, I guess that's something that couldn't be tested at the announcement so we'll have to wait and see :D

Guest Thumper Net

little bit dissapointed with the diamond , the rotating screen should work on all apps and games as it does allready on the nokia N82 and N95 , i was hoping this phone would drag me back to the windows mobile again but it looks like i will have to wait :( for me built in hspda , gps , wifi , full auto screen rotation and a real 5mp camera with a real flash are needed as a min to repace my current N82 , which has this , i feel htc have missed out here , a cool looking phone lacking in content , with the new iphone coming out in june with 3g they should have done better :o maybe they have another version in the pipeline like the touch had , i hope so :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.