Is this still the best upgrade from Tytn / SPV M3100 ?

Guest Mewcenary

Guest Mewcenary

Hi,

As per the topic really! I have a SPV M3100 and am now out of contract, and my current handset is a bit battered.

I like the M3100, mainly for the Windows Mobile aspects and easy syncing with both my work PC and home laptop.

Is the Kaiser the one to go for, or is there something better out now, or something coming out Real Soon now?

Guest Paulplex
Hi,

As per the topic really! I have a SPV M3100 and am now out of contract, and my current handset is a bit battered.

I like the M3100, mainly for the Windows Mobile aspects and easy syncing with both my work PC and home laptop.

Is the Kaiser the one to go for, or is there something better out now, or something coming out Real Soon now?

I'm not the person to know if something better is around the corner but speaking from experience of somebody who toyed with different options for upgrading an M3100 to a TyTN II, I personally have had no problems at all.

Take a look at the HTC class action stuff since it's an interesting read - but in my experience, I've personally not noted a great problem with the TyTN II...

Guest Bainsyboy

Steer clear my orange spv m600 is way better than my htc tytn II ( kaiser ) of which im waiting for something else to come out so that i can get rid of the tytnII, its a good phone when its first switched on but soft resets every few hours aint my cup of tea, remember you cannot view video or even watch smooth picture messages with the tytn II so my advice steer clear

Edited by Bainsyboy

Guest lozzd
its a good phone when its first switched on but soft resets every few hours aint my cup of tea

So you have a broken phone, or some shitty software. Congrats on dissuading people away from a phone because you can't be bothered to diagnose it.

I love my TyTNII, but HTC will be coming out with bigger and better things, so it depends if you can wait!

Guest 246810
So you have a broken phone, or some shitty software. Congrats on dissuading people away from a phone because you can't be bothered to diagnose it.

I love my TyTNII, but HTC will be coming out with bigger and better things, so it depends if you can wait!

Bainsboys problems with his/her Kaiser may pertain to his/her Kaiser alone, but across the board there are complaints about the Kaisers performance.

If I could have my time again, I (and I'm certain I'm not in the minority) would never have opted for the Kaiser, so a bit of dissuading could be saving a lot of people grief and regret.

P.S Shootydogthing, the Raphael is hideous and looks dated

Edited by 246810

Guest Chippa

I asked the other day whether to upgrade my Tytn II (which I like and have no problems with) or stick with it. HTC had a launch in London yesterday (6th May 2008) for some new phones. The HTC Diamond looks interesting:

HTC Diamond press release

ZDNet review

I read somewhere that they should be available from next month in the UK. I'm holding out for one.

Guest dillinger

I have a TyTN II and I have no complaints about the video playback.

I either use MyOrb and stream it from my PC or else I use CorePlayer which plays stuff no problems.

Soft resets are a software issue I suspect, my memory gets clogged up a lot from programs that don't close properly and stuff but that's really not the TyTN II's fault, I find it a very nice phone and PDA. Does everything I need.

Guest rameses

I upgraded from a M3100 to a Kaiser and I think it's great. I've only had occasional problems with soft resets but if I make sure closed programs are properly closed (using task manager or some such) and not hogging the memory there's no bother at.

Video playback is fine - just buy Coreplayer. I used to use TCPMP on my M3100 (when TCPMP it was free) but it didn't work to well on the Kaiser. So I opted to go for the up to date paid for version and it works a treat. ( I'm currently using to watch Divx copies of Heroes Season 2 on the way to work).

But in the end it's your choice. If I had my time again I would get a Kaiser again too. You could wait for a Rapheal but as there's no release it might be a long wait.

Guest shootydogthing
P.S Shootydogthing, the Raphael is hideous and looks dated

It really doesn't. Check the oppinions all over the internet on how lovely the Diamond looks.

You may not like it. Doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

Guest Bainsyboy

OOOOOOO a HTC FANBOY :( Try hooking up your kaiser to your computer and then try doing something on it when its synching, By the way fanboy its my second tytn ii and its as crap as teh first one, when sonething new comes out i'll be there, whether thats a htc phone, who knows

My tytnII runs slow with nowt on it or with programmes loaded on it, check out my thread htc is pants I think i called it, I even have mem maid and pocket mechanic to try and make sure nothings hogging the memory and i still have to reset it.

Like I said great phone whens its first switched on but just gets annoyingly slow through the day, also I have noticed that when its charging it crawls along, my advice after being on my second kaiser is steer clear.

lozzd hows the acne :D

Guest Webreaper
OOOOOOO a HTC FANBOY :( Try hooking up your kaiser to your computer and then try doing something on it when its synching, By the way fanboy its my second tytn ii and its as crap as teh first one, when sonething new comes out i'll be there, whether thats a htc phone, who knows

My tytnII runs slow with nowt on it or with programmes loaded on it, check out my thread htc is pants I think i called it, I even have mem maid and pocket mechanic to try and make sure nothings hogging the memory and i still have to reset it.

Like I said great phone whens its first switched on but just gets annoyingly slow through the day, also I have noticed that when its charging it crawls along, my advice after being on my second kaiser is steer clear.

lozzd hows the acne :D

Interesting. I've had my Kaiser since September, never have soft-resets (usually run for 2-3 weeks before soft-resetting, and that's to install software, etc). Speed is fine - accelerated drivers would be nice, but it's not a problem.

Sure, there'll be better devices, but for the last 6 months the Kaiser has been way out front.

Guest Bainsyboy
Interesting. I've had my Kaiser since September, never have soft-resets (usually run for 2-3 weeks before soft-resetting, and that's to install software, etc). Speed is fine - accelerated drivers would be nice, but it's not a problem.

Sure, there'll be better devices, but for the last 6 months the Kaiser has been way out front.

I and many others by the looks of it wish we could say the same, great looking phone and i love the slide out keyboard but the odds on people getting a kaiser as good as yours has run for the last six months are stacked against them, Phone is brilliant when first turned on but just seems to slow as the day progresses, as for the video driver issue not a big issue for some but for the majority of users whether they be buisness users or normal users it is an issue, its emabrssing to open video messages as they remind people of the good old days back, jerky and awful.

I could cook the ROM but then why should I or anybody else have to you wouldnt buy a car and be expected to change the engine yourself to get the best out of it

Guest 246810
It really doesn't. Check the oppinions all over the internet on how lovely the Diamond looks.

You may not like it. Doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

Point taken. In my personal opinion, square shaped phones with no curves are unattractive and soooooooooo 80’s.

I will say this however: Give the Diamond a few months at least and I’m willing to bet the hype will decrease dramatically, and issues will soon come to light as it did with the Kaiser. Do you not see the SAME pattern occurring??????????????

I’m so jumping ship and am looking at the N91 or will wait for the N96 when my contract ends in September. And this is coming from someone who has never owned a Nokia as I felt owning one was conformist and they were common. Thank God I opted for a 12 month contract with my Kaiser and not the 18 month prison sentence that many seem to have signed up for.

Guest shootydogthing

Not necessarily. HTC have got a lot of stick over video drivers etc, the kaiser is a great device but it has issues.

they're going to want to make the new devices as flawless as is humanly possible. Hence the delay in getting the Raphael and Titanium out.

But they also want to get SOMETHING new and good out there. Hence focusing development on the Diamond and getting it there first.