Just got a Voda v1615 TyTn II

Guest shakini

Guest shakini

Hello to all - it's been a while since I posted here and may I just congratulate everyone on such a progressive forum. It's good to see everyone helping and contributing to questions and problems.

My question to you all is this - understanding that everyone will have their own opinions on what progs they want on their device, what is the most stable ROM to flash to at present?

Taking my lovely brick out of the box and checking the stock firmware, I have the following:

WinMo 6 Pro

CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2)

ROM Version: 1.56.161.4

ROM Date: 09/12/07

Radio Version: 1.27.12.32

I've read a few threads on here and on XDA (not quite following some of the tech speak)...and I've seen that alot of folk are impressed with the ROM flashes by TLR and Dutty. That said, alot of other folk seem to be having problems with settings of all kinds. I know these guys are doing this for fun and it's not as if everything is always going to be perfect but I'm looking for something that I won't need to be tweaking everyday.

I like the idea of having the CUBE stuff on my device but not so sure whether it's worth it.

Any suggestions?

Once again, I'm just looking for the most stable update to make the device run more efficiently.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by shakini

Guest Boinng

I got my V1615 back in October, and almost immediately flashed to the stock HTC original ROM, thereby losing all the uneccesary Vodafone guff and gaining a few extras like WorldCardMobile and Live Messenger. I never really looked back from that point on, the stock ROM is stable, quick, fully featured, and pretty much fine.

About two weeks ago, after reading about all these new Win 6.1 ROMs that people like Dutty have been cooking up, I bit the bullet and tried Dutty's latest (at the time, he's probably six or seven newer versions since then). Personally, I hated it - it felt unstable, I hated all the "kewl" customisations that had been made, and I could see no real benefit to it at all - I didn't even keep it long enough to find all the bugs, but the posts on that and every other cooking thread over on XDA show there are plenty. Personally I just don't think it's worth it, I'd rather stick to the properly tested generic version that just works.

Having said all that, the lastest news (over on MSMobiles and elsewhere) is that HTC are about to release a whole new ROM for the Tytn II, supposedly improving graphics performance etc, so it might be worth waiting at least a week or so to see if that will emerge. If it takes any longer then it's almost certainly just another wind up (there have been a few) and never going to happen, so just go ahead and flash the stock rom.

PS - Note that you'll need to use "HardSPL" for the Kaiser to unlock your phone's rom for flashing before you can change the Vodafone rom - you'll find this and the HTC Rom over on the XDA Developers forum.

Edited by Boinng

Guest hotphil

There's talk of an official Vodafone updated WinMo 6.1 ROM too. I'm holding out for that as I don't fancy a wander downstairs to IT to explain how I bricked my phone whilse trying to put a new ROM on :D

Guest Boinng

Good point, I should add that I only chanced my arm because it's my own personal phone, I got it quite cheaply and, well, I felt lucky - obviously if you're concerned about maintaining your warranty, or having to explain yourself to work, then you might want to leave the HardSPL alone!

Edited by Boinng

Guest hotphil

That's the thing, I'm technically proficient but don't fancy getting sacked :D Although, tbh, I'm not sure our IT department would quite understand what I had tried to do :(

Guest shakini

Boinng - thank you for your informed response. You seem to have understood my concerns perfectly.

Stability is my main issue. I've heard of the new Voda kit and I'd be very happy to flash to it. For the moment, I think I'll stick to the HTC stock setup - it looks good and like you mentioned, I'd like to clear up the 'fluff' from the device. I would like to see a stable fluff free ROM from Dutty and co but I appreciate that chefs want to get the most progress in each release and that may mean alot of untested wares being thrown in.

Ha @ Hotphil's IT Dept - sounds very similar to ours!

• 1 month later...
Guest raas

Us IT people sure are misunderstood. :D

Boinng - thank you for your informed response. You seem to have understood my concerns perfectly.

Stability is my main issue. I've heard of the new Voda kit and I'd be very happy to flash to it. For the moment, I think I'll stick to the HTC stock setup - it looks good and like you mentioned, I'd like to clear up the 'fluff' from the device. I would like to see a stable fluff free ROM from Dutty and co but I appreciate that chefs want to get the most progress in each release and that may mean alot of untested wares being thrown in.

Ha @ Hotphil's IT Dept - sounds very similar to ours!

Guest shirozina

I've upgraded to the official Vodafone 6.1 and it's been rock solid stable. It's not stuffed with Vodafone fluff - infact the only time you see any branding is when you switch it on. The instalation was a breeze - just make sure you back up your contacts.