Faulty Tytn II?

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Guest Nick Le Lievre

Hi I`ve had my Tytn II since launch, it is an unbranded unlocked version from expansys. It has been working flawlessly untill today, my mother rang to say she couldn't get thru on my mobile. So I took it out of my pocket and tried to turn it on, it acted like it had just been soft reset so my first thought was that the battery had gone flat, although I was surprised as it was 40% earlier today and it doesn't usually drain that quick - with my uses it usually lasts a week so 40% would last a least a day or two.

Anyway it showed the Smart Mobility screen, then the HTC logo then the Windows Mobile screen, then it reset itself again. I kept turning it on but the same thing was happening figuring that the battery must seriously be drained I plugged it into the USB port of my computer to charge it. I turned it on again, the orange charge light was lit during the smart mobility screen and the HTC logo but at the Windows mobile screen it kept going out then back on again, and it kept resetting itself instead of display the today screen.

I was starting to get seriously worried, so I removed the battery and put it back in again, this time it got past the smart mobility, HTC logo and Windows mobile screen and displayed the today screen... phew! Now the orange light is lit and its charging. I`m hoping there is no long lasting damage and the battery can be charged and hold a charge again, if not does it sound like just the battery has died. If this is the case I should be able to send it back to expansys under warranty as its only 8 months old.

EDIT: I noticed it started charging from 1% which means the battery must of totally drained hence the symptoms I mentioned above, I`m not sure how this could of happened as the last time I check about 6 hours ago it was at about 40%, I just hope the battery has no suffered irrepairable damage.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre

Guest Webreaper

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the same Nick who had problems with the device locking up and who had to soft-reset the device once a day to keep it working reliably? If so, then I'd suggest your comment "It has been working flawlessly untill today" is spurious, and your email above implies that you've got yet another hardware problem with your device.

Perhaps now is the time to take the advice everyone was giving you before, and just getting a replacement device, as it sounds like you still have a hardware problem.

Edited by Webreaper

Guest jontelfer

ouch. All other issues aside, how about running something like battery status today plugin to see what the current drain of the device is. I think the milliamp value is the one to watch. On max backlight it was around 400 mA, low backlight is 70ish mA and sleeping is 5-25 mA.

Jon

Guest Nick Le Lievre

I had the Standby of Death SOD this is when the phone fails to come out of standby with a power button press. This issue only affects some people on some networks. I'm not sure if its a network problem or a software problem but as only a minority of people have it, I suspect its mainly a network problem there is a software solution.

The solution is to change the phone settings band option from auto 3G/2G to either 3G Only (WCDMA + UTMS 2100 in Europe) or 2G Only (GSM + AUTO) depending on your requirements.

Also read this thread new SIM solves problem where the resolution was to get a new SIM.

Obviously this only solves the problem when the crash is because of the sim and/or settings which impact the sim. To rule out a software cause its best to start with a hard reset.

Edited by Nick Le Lievre