Wifi with prepaid?

Guest easyt

Guest easyt

I use prepaid where I purchase a bunch of minutes every few months. It's cheaper for me versus being in a contract.

I'd like to purchase a smartphone with wifi. Will I be able to use the wifi to browse the web? Or does using the wifi require that I have a data plan for the cellular web service, which requires a service contract?

Guest Dark Horse
I use prepaid where I purchase a bunch of minutes every few months. It's cheaper for me versus being in a contract.

I'd like to purchase a smartphone with wifi. Will I be able to use the wifi to browse the web? Or does using the wifi require that I have a data plan for the cellular web service, which requires a service contract?

Hi there and welcome to the MoDaCo forums. If you buy a handset with wifi, you'll be able to browse the web for free irrespective of your tariff and whther you're on contract or prepay.

Regards,

Dark Horse

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Wifi is free if it's your own wifi router etc but if you use a public access wifi router it may be chargeable, though not from your telco providor, chargeable by whoever provides the access.

M.S

Guest easyt

That's what I suspected. However, the rep at the retail store told me I had to purchase a contract & data plan to even use the wifi feature. He said the wi-fi icon doesn't even appear in WM6 unless I have a data plan. I figured he was just trying to push me into a contract.

Thanks a ton guys! I'm thrilled to have found this website!

Guest Mysterious Stranger
However, the rep at the retail store told me I had to purchase a contract & data plan to even use the wifi feature. He said the wi-fi icon doesn't even appear in WM6 unless I have a data plan.

Yep, spiel to upsell you a data plan. Isn't lying to get you to buy against the law? Complain to the store manager and the Better Business Bureau as no doubt others who haven't found this site are falling for their B.S :D

M.S