Mounting Kaiser to MTB Handlebars?

Guest Fozza

Guest Fozza

Does anybody know a way of a holder I could use to have my Kaiser on my bike?

Was gonna use it for TomTom or Navizon whilst out and about.

Cheers

Fozza

Guest hotphil

I've been looking for one of these too. Was considering a fairly generic holder and perhaps modding a jubilee clip. If you find a good one, let me know. Also, I've had a look at one of these http://www.firebox.com/product/2111 with the optional bike mount. Anyone tried one? Or does anyone know of a bike dynamo with a USB out connection suitable for charging a Kaiser?

Edited by hotphil

Guest Fozza
I've been looking for one of these too. Was considering a fairly generic holder and perhaps modding a jubilee clip. If you find a good one, let me know. Also, I've had a look at one of these http://www.firebox.com/product/2111 with the optional bike mount. Anyone tried one? Or does anyone know of a bike dynamo with a USB out connection suitable for charging a Kaiser?

The wind turbine is a nice idea but not very functional.

20 Digital photos?

It really isn't providing that much power.

Will kepp looking

Guest hotphil

I read that as if the connected device sucked all the power from the turbine battery, they'd be enough to get 20 photos. But if you're biking all day, it could possibly trickle charge enough to keep the GPS and screen running on a Kaiser for a significant amount of time.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

How about customising a brodit pro clip mount? You could get the part made which attaches to the handlebars, with the mounting surface on it ... then attach the pro clip and holder to it.

Guest Fozza
How about customising a brodit pro clip mount? You could get the part made which attaches to the handlebars, with the mounting surface on it ... then attach the pro clip and holder to it.

Not a bad plan.

After all the Brodit just screws into a flat piece of plastic.

Guest Transform

the idea of this thread sounds pretty cool. i would hate to think of what would be left of the kaiser if you fell off though!

Guest mrkipling

Krussell do a bike holder for their multidapt range of cases here - No idea what the Krussell case for the Kaiser is like though ........

Guest Fozza
How about using a Brodit bike mount?

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/brodit/BikeMountDSL.asp

Definitely not cheap, but probably the nicest solution!

P

You Know I maybe should have looked at this first!

I think I will maybe pay the price and get the goods.

Brodit are just fantastic and well worth the cash.

Still might use some serious eleastic bands though just to be sure

:D

Guest FragMeister

Why not use a bar bag and slip the phone into the map holder on top?

for power, play do a solar charger (about £23) which includes a number of connectors including mini-usb, so you could have that in the map holder too - easy, and far safer than risking losing the phone by it slipping out a brodit mount on the bumpy stuff

Guest jontelfer

I have a spare brodit active holder if anyone wants to make me an offer. Car charger end doesn't work so it's ripe for re-wiring.

Jon

Guest kjt57
Krussell do a bike holder for their multidapt range of cases here - No idea what the Krussell case for the Kaiser is like though ........

I use a krusell case and bike mount. Both great quality. Some good prices on Ebay.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fozza
Ok, well I'm gonna go for http://www.expansys.com/pf.aspx?i=156042 and a Hy mini wind turbine - I'll let you know how I get on.

Yeah the Brodit is a bit too pricey for me so I will join you and buy that one from expansys.

Ordered now...

Still think I might utilise some strong elastic bands to hold it to the holder.

Also going to use a portable battery pack to get my juice on the go.

Going to use the one from proporta.

Will report back.

Fozza

Guest hotphil

Yep, although the title of that holder refers to the TyTN II, it's actually just a generic one. And they recommend the use of additional strappage. My biking is mostly on-road with the occasional offroad trail rather than pure off-roading at breakneck speeds through forests (too old for that now!) so I reckon I should be OK. Excited by the turbine/powerpack too!

Guest shootydogthing

Jeezuz... I'd be SO scared to do this...

I have considered strapping it to my arm but the keyboard opens the wrong way to make it practical lol.

I saw a guy on a bike the other day take a hand off the handlebars and take what looked like a TyTN II OUT OF HIS POCKET! He started using it! With one hand. On a bike! It might have been a N95-8GB but STILL!

Guest jwexqm

I have an Arkon mount attached to my hybrid - I've only used it about 3 or 4 times to find my way to a new address in the city. There are 3 problems you need to be wary of...

- vibration which could potentially damage the phone. Less of a problem if you've got front suspension

- the attachment of the cradle to the handle bar mount. This is really only friction. I've never seen it come loose, however you've got to be mindful to ensure that it's been pushed on right as far as it'll go.

- slippage of phone out of the foam grips. This is probably the most likely point of failure. I've taken a decent width rubber band, cut it in half and superglued each end to the sides of the mount as an additional form of restraint. It helps.

All-in-all though it's a nice-to-have solution, although I wouldn't want to rely on it every day.

Guest hotphil

D'oh! My Expansys order says they won't have stock for 9 days. So I've cancelled it and ordered http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1224/...hter-bike-mount on next day delivery. I have a HR clip for a car mount so I've saved a tenner too. And I know I'll be able to connect a power cable in.

Only thing I'm worried about is the Kaiser bumping out of the top of the cradle, but a rubber band should sort that. Vibration shouldn't be a problem as on my Sheffield>Buxton ride next week I'll be mostly onroad and have suspension. Plus if it dies, I'll have maps as a backup and just claim a new one as it's a work phone :D

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've contacted HYmini about their products, if they are able to provide me with a PR sample i'll contact one of you guys in this thread to review :D

P

Guest hotphil

I'm up for that. I was also looking a the Freeloader and the optional bike pannier solar panel they do - Supercharger http://www.firebox.com/product/1796/FreeLoader-Solar-Charger as it might possibly have been more versatile. But you can always count on wind when biking, not necessarily sunshine!

It's interesting - I did a four day ride last year and had my phone (then MDA Vario) with me but couldn't use the satnav due to power worries, on my ride to Buxton next week I don't want the hassle of stopping at every junction to check a map. Seems pointless carrying a device and not being able to use it, solar or wind power *may* may be the answer. And is attractive to the geek in me too :D

Guest hotphil

My Hy Mini turbine has just arrived! First impressions - it feels a lot higher quality than I was expecting! :D Even the boxes are sturdy.