Thinking to swap TyTN II for i780 - few questions arised

Guest evad

Guest evad

I'm thinking of getting Samsung i780 that would replace my HTC Kaiser / TyTN II. I have nothing against the latter one, I'm pretty happy with it, but I like i780's form factor - it's thinner, lighter, and has qwerty keyboard always handy. Since I've been using HTC products quite a while (Wizard -> Hermes -> Kaiser), I'm mostly concerned about brand change, as I already know what roughly can I expect from HTC device. So, I have few doubts that I'd like to clear up before I finally decide.

* Charging via USB cable. I found the other topic that concludes USB cables included in some units (particularly Greek) are charging device while connected to computer, others not. Any particular experiences with UK stock? (I'm planning to get an unbranded device, probably from handtec.co.uk)

* Does bluetooth support DUN profile, hence device could be used as BT modem?

* Also, is there an Internet Sharing application, that shares GPRS/3G connection through BT/USB, just like in HTC devices?

* Voice dialling - I already know i780 doesn't have it by default, but does Cyberon Voice Speed Dial work (installed separately)?

* In regards to screen size and software compability, I'm particularly interested in following applications: Pocket Zen Phone, GSFinder, Birthdays (Today plugin), Synthesis SyncML, vxUtils -- any experiences with those?

* GPS, how does it really compares with Kaiser? Does it work OK with Google Maps?

* How EDGE/HSDPA coverage is indicated? Does it show [E] and [H] icons respectively? :)

I'm really impressed with Samsung i780, I've also read some positive reviews, and I'm almost convinced to let my Kaiser go. But as usual, devil hides beneath little details like those above, and I'd appreciate any replies on them. TIA

Guest gavinfabl
I'm thinking of getting Samsung i780 that would replace my HTC Kaiser / TyTN II. I have nothing against the latter one, I'm pretty happy with it, but I like i780's form factor - it's thinner, lighter, and has qwerty keyboard always handy. Since I've been using HTC products quite a while (Wizard -> Hermes -> Kaiser), I'm mostly concerned about brand change, as I already know what roughly can I expect from HTC device. So, I have few doubts that I'd like to clear up before I finally decide.

* Charging via USB cable. I found the other topic that concludes USB cables included in some units (particularly Greek) are charging device while connected to computer, others not. Any particular experiences with UK stock? (I'm planning to get an unbranded device, probably from handtec.co.uk)

* Does bluetooth support DUN profile, hence device could be used as BT modem?

* Also, is there an Internet Sharing application, that shares GPRS/3G connection through BT/USB, just like in HTC devices?

* Voice dialling - I already know i780 doesn't have it by default, but does Cyberon Voice Speed Dial work (installed separately)?

* In regards to screen size and software compability, I'm particularly interested in following applications: Pocket Zen Phone, GSFinder, Birthdays (Today plugin), Synthesis SyncML, vxUtils -- any experiences with those?

* GPS, how does it really compares with Kaiser? Does it work OK with Google Maps?

* How EDGE/HSDPA coverage is indicated? Does it show [E] and [H] icons respectively? :D

I'm really impressed with Samsung i780, I've also read some positive reviews, and I'm almost convinced to let my Kaiser go. But as usual, devil hides beneath little details like those above, and I'd appreciate any replies on them. TIA

As part of the team who helps run www.pda-247.com, I naturally have had load of different devices. IMO, the Samsung i780 is the best yet. Here are some

links to the reviews on our website. Shaun (owner of site) and I also have an i780 blog. Not sure if you have seen these but :-

Full review by myself http://www.pda-247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22621

First Impressions by Shaun/Me

http://www.pda-247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22434

Our Blog - http://i780.wordpress.com/

Main site http://www.pda-247.com/wm.shtml

Going back to some of your questions, I believe Samsung i780 is better built than HTC. HTC are still very well made. Samsung support is excellent. I had an Samsung i600 last year, bricked it, and got a 2 day turnaround inclusive of posting.

Google Maps works fine. Not sure about the other software as I dont have it installed. I use TT6 daily (GPS Proxy used as well), Garmin XT works fine as well.

Compatibility. There are 2 options. Running device at 128dpi or installing realvga and moving it to 96dpi. At 96dpi more apps will work, but the fonts are small. 128dpi is great for poor eyesight. Personally preference. I use realvga.

The form factor IMO is brilliant. After using the i600, I would NEVER have a sliding keyboard. With the i780 you can move around the apps, menus using keyboard shortcuts with ease.

Samsung include a lot of extras.

Internet connection is there as HTC with 3g /usb etc..

The accessories are slim at present. I got a car charger that can charge device. The usb lead supplied doesnt charge, just keeps the level constant. There will be and are in Japan, usb leads that fully charge the i780.However, the battery life is far superior to the HTC. I change batteries daily. As the i780 comes with 2 batteries, I use the charging pod to charge up the old one and then swap over. For example, 24 hours later, my battery is at 70%. And use it a lot.

The 3g symbols do change, cant remember exactly how. 3g = 3g 3g+ = H. In manual again.

Guest evad
As part of the team who helps run www.pda-247.com, I naturally have had load of different devices. IMO, the Samsung i780 is the best yet. Here are some

links to the reviews on our website. Shaun (owner of site) and I also have an i780 blog. Not sure if you have seen these but :-

Thanks for your input on that. Seems like I made right decision ordering i780 yesterday, shortly after posting my questions here. I just couldn't resist the temptation, and pretty good price (£312 including VAT & P&P from handtec.co.uk). ;) Should get it today, or tomorrow.

Guest gavinfabl
Thanks for your input on that. Seems like I made right decision ordering i780 yesterday, shortly after posting my questions here. I just couldn't resist the temptation, and pretty good price (£312 including VAT & P&P from handtec.co.uk). :D Should get it today, or tomorrow.

lol... temptation is my problem too:)

Guest evad
lol... temptation is my problem too:)

I've got my i780 yesterday. Looks nice! And after installing RealVGA + 96dpi, screen is brilliant! I've found few annoyances, tough:

* Touchpad - interesting idea, pretty much usable to crawl through menus or icons, but editing text (moving cursor around, selecting text etc.) is a true nightmare! I guess I just need to get used to it..

* Notification LED virtually doesn't work at all. I mean it blinks couple of times while switching BT/WiFi on, but pretty much nothing else than that. It doesn't even blink when I have missed call or text message waiting. Is that a bug, or a feature?

* Cyberon Voice Speed Dial - works, but with one glitch: when I press voice dial button on my headset, phonepad pops up, instead of VSD. :( Probably some reghack needs to be applied?

* Bluetooth DUN profile is not present. :( I'm looking for a reghack workaround, as it's crucial for my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet to connect to the internet over BT...

* I really miss TouchFLO to scroll through lists with finger, but well - that's the price for choosing non-HTC device. ;)

Other than that, I quite like my new i780. Form factor is great, keyboard isn't bad, regarding size of keys, pretty much all applications are working (with RealVGA), Google Maps with GPS are also working nicely, and first fix was a matter of just couple of minutes in urban area!

Btw, I have ROM version i780MSHC3, which I believe is the latest.

Guest gavinfabl
I've got my i780 yesterday. Looks nice! And after installing RealVGA + 96dpi, screen is brilliant! I've found few annoyances, tough:

* Touchpad - interesting idea, pretty much usable to crawl through menus or icons, but editing text (moving cursor around, selecting text etc.) is a true nightmare! I guess I just need to get used to it..

* Notification LED virtually doesn't work at all. I mean it blinks couple of times while switching BT/WiFi on, but pretty much nothing else than that. It doesn't even blink when I have missed call or text message waiting. Is that a bug, or a feature?

* Cyberon Voice Speed Dial - works, but with one glitch: when I press voice dial button on my headset, phonepad pops up, instead of VSD. :( Probably some reghack needs to be applied?

* Bluetooth DUN profile is not present. :o I'm looking for a reghack workaround, as it's crucial for my Nokia N810 Internet Tablet to connect to the internet over BT...

* I really miss TouchFLO to scroll through lists with finger, but well - that's the price for choosing non-HTC device. :D

Other than that, I quite like my new i780. Form factor is great, keyboard isn't bad, regarding size of keys, pretty much all applications are working (with RealVGA), Google Maps with GPS are also working nicely, and first fix was a matter of just couple of minutes in urban area!

Btw, I have ROM version i780MSHC3, which I believe is the latest.

I have the same rom.

The LED issue is a known bug. If you go to XDA Developers Forum (General Discussion, Upgrading etc) and search for i780 threads, you will see a download for HTC Home which works a treat as well. Also, worth install chgfingermouse app available here and map it to the hard key. 4 way nav is the one I use for 80% of the time, and is very quick the more you get used to it. Also look at the shortcuts using the keyboard, you can fly around the menus and programs. One letter is underlined, which will select the app or menu.

Touchflo is a sweet effect, but honestly you can move quicker without it. With realvga installed, its work increasing the scroll bar to about 20, then you can use finger to move up/down with ease.

On the LED issue, I know Samsung are aware of this. I am not sure, but this may be corrected when the release wm6.1 upgrade. Fingers crossed.

BTW. Even without realvga most apps should work and the larger fonts while they seem too big, they were great for my eyesight.

Guest evad
The LED issue is a known bug. If you go to XDA Developers Forum (General Discussion, Upgrading etc) and search for i780 threads, you will see a download for HTC Home which works a treat as well.

I have HTC Home installed already, as Samsung's equivalent was quite bad (doesn't work with other plugins enabled). However I seem to have some old version of it, where I can't assign number types on peoples tab - only mobile number is assigned. I've tried newer version of HTC Home, but it didn't work at all - although checked in Today / Items list, never appeared on Today screen. :(

4 way nav is the one I use for 80% of the time, and is very quick the more you get used to it.

Btw, is there any workaround to select text from keyboard, using pressed Shift key and moving cursor with touchpad?

Also look at the shortcuts using the keyboard, you can fly around the menus and programs. One letter is underlined, which will select the app or menu.

You're right! That's convenient... :)

On the LED issue, I know Samsung are aware of this. I am not sure, but this may be corrected when the release wm6.1 upgrade. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully it would get fixed, as I've really got used to that LED notifications by now...

Btw, do you have any clues on voice dialling and BT DUN issues, or I should rather google around?

Guest gavinfabl
I have HTC Home installed already, as Samsung's equivalent was quite bad (doesn't work with other plugins enabled). However I seem to have some old version of it, where I can't assign number types on peoples tab - only mobile number is assigned. I've tried newer version of HTC Home, but it didn't work at all - although checked in Today / Items list, never appeared on Today screen. :(

Btw, is there any workaround to select text from keyboard, using pressed Shift key and moving cursor with touchpad?

You're right! That's convenient... :D

Hopefully it would get fixed, as I've really got used to that LED notifications by now...

Btw, do you have any clues on voice dialling and BT DUN issues, or I should rather google around?

There is for text. It can do more but just gone blank what its called. its either mentioned at xda dev or www.ppcsg.com (goto forums, pocket pc phone, samsung i780 part 6 first page)

Guest gavinfabl

Forget bluetooth. use the i780 wifi and share this with the nokia. there is a freeware app that allows you to share the wifi content or share the data connection via wifi. can't recall name but will have a hunt.

Guest evad
Forget bluetooth. use the i780 wifi and share this with the nokia. there is a freeware app that allows you to share the wifi content or share the data connection via wifi. can't recall name but will have a hunt.

Actually, I can connect N810 through BT PAN profile (Internet Sharing), but it's much less convenient to use, as I need separately run IS application on i780. With BT DUN it connects automatically. But well, seems like I'm stuck with that anyway.

I've been investigating BT DUN issue for last few days (and nights) and tracked it down to single ATDT*99***1# command, that i780 doesn't respond to. And I have no freaking idea why is that. :((