Broken screen on Kaiser - will Orange care pay out?

Guest Aero

Guest Aero

Well it happened finally :D

My pristine TyTN II which I take great of :(

I was swapping the cars round and as I jumped into one felt the case tug on my belt.

Anyway, moved the car and walked ack onto the drive to see phone in case on drive, oviously having fallen out of the car. then I noticed it was dusty - I must have reversed over it :-O

Amazingly it's in one piece and still looks pristine ut the screen is smashed and the b key isn't working too well.

Fortunately I have orange care, ut will they pay out? have heard worrying stories. it was in the case that comes with it, if the damn thing had a proper belt loop it would have been ok..

also if they do say yes, wil it e a replacement or repair? can do without losing it for weeks :o

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well Orange care is insurance, so they shoudl replace it?

I'm no longer with Orange, but 'back in the day' they used to get you a replacement in 24 hours. Not sure they still do that tho!

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Orange care told my mate to wear different shirts after two successive claims for phone falling out of shirt pocket!

Guest unknown-singh
Well it happened finally :D

My pristine TyTN II which I take great of :(

I was swapping the cars round and as I jumped into one felt the case tug on my belt.

Anyway, moved the car and walked ack onto the drive to see phone in case on drive, oviously having fallen out of the car. then I noticed it was dusty - I must have reversed over it :-O

Amazingly it's in one piece and still looks pristine ut the screen is smashed and the b key isn't working too well.

Fortunately I have orange care, ut will they pay out? have heard worrying stories. it was in the case that comes with it, if the damn thing had a proper belt loop it would have been ok..

also if they do say yes, wil it e a replacement or repair? can do without losing it for weeks :o

hi yes orange care will replace/repair your handset, and they do state in there policy that replacements will be made withing 24 hours or reporting the claim, but if they decide to repair it it may take slightly longer, excess is just £15.

so you might be without your device for a few days. : (

but look on the bright side, atleast it will be replaced repaired.

Guest Mysterious Stranger
is there a chance that they'll say I didn't take enough care of it? is there a certain way I should phrase it?

I think you need to phrase it properly. I had a problem a few years ago when the digitiser went an an m500 as I had keys in my jacket pocket - I didn't know they were there and apparently I should have checked before putting my phone in with them...

Guest hotphil

If you read what your Orange Care actually covers (or excludes) you should be able to negotiate the OCS scripts pretty well. If it covers the phone being dropped, I'd just say you dropped it. There is usually a "reasonable care" clause, but I'd not complicate by expanding too much - just be concise once you know what is included in the policy.

Guest Aero

good advice! Any idea where I can find it online? Don't think Orange ever sent me any T&Cs :(

Never mind, found it here:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/orange_care_terms.pdf

Key para here:

3.3. Wilful Act or Neglect

any wilful act neglect or failure to take reasonable care either by an Authorised User or

carried out at the direction or instigation of an Authorised User;

Still very vague - "failure to take reasonable care" - will they say I wasn't careful enough clipping it to my belt? :o

Interesting to note that I'm not covered for Acts of Terrorism, War, Radioactive contamination, or Sonic Bangs! :D

Edited by Aero

Guest unknown-singh
good advice! Any idea where I can find it online? Don't think Orange ever sent me any T&Cs :(

Never mind, found it here:

http://www1.orange.co.uk/mobileterms/orange_care_terms.pdf

Key para here:

Still very vague - "failure to take reasonable care" - will they say I wasn't careful enough clipping it to my belt? :o

Interesting to note that I'm not covered for Acts of Terrorism, War, Radioactive contamination, or Sonic Bangs! :D

hi if i was you i would say " i dropped it as i was getting into my car" something like that, its not far from the truth, and should be a simple enough claim. p.s i belive it does state in the terms that all defects should be reported within 24 hours of discovery (something like that from mermory) so make sure when u claim say it happend on that day or the day before, not last week etc.

insurance companies always try and find a way not to pay out, so just make sure your read the policy carefully before claiming.