The official MWg Zinc II 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
ZincII.png
Is this the first Windows Mobile 6.1 device in retail?

I think so... and it's also the new flagship device from eXpansys owned startup MWg. The Zinc II has received positive comments from those in the community who have used the device to date, so once again I thought i'd give everyone the chance to have a little MWg Zinc II Q&A!

The device is a Pocket PC (Professional) device, with reasonably good specs, a QWERTY sliding keypad a-la-TyTN II and a fashionable 'flat bezel'. The MWg Zinc II is priced at a not inconsiderable £449.95 from eXpansys and my mission is to find out if it's worth the cash! Specs are as follows...
  • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
  • Samsung 520MHz
  • Quad-band GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
  • Tri-band UMTS 2100/1900/850 MHz
  • HSDPA 3.6Mbps
  • 256MB Flash ROM
  • 64MB RAM :D
  • 2.8” TFT QVGA, Flat Panel (Touch Screen)
  • QWERTY keypad with semi-automatic sliding mechanism
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g
  • Bluetooth® version 2.0
  • SiFRstarIII GPS chip
  • 2 Megapixels CMOS camera
  • White LED strobe flash
  • 109.5 x 59 x 18 mm
  • 185g

Got questions? Post them here!

Incidentally, if you spotted an uncanny likeness with the Eten M810, that's because they are both manufactured by the same OEM!

P

Guest shoey5

MWg shows a lot of potential delivering good Windows Mobile devices but in this case (and I find myself saying it a lot) when looking to replace my device, "Bah QVGA and 64 Meg ram!" When are manufactures going to get it! WinMo with a 64 Meg device is pretty useless and QVGA, come on, VGA should be minimum spec by now for anything but an entry level device!

Guest wovens

The only thing I can say is that I have one of Expansys' earlier devices when they called the company Ubiquio and their support for it was non-existent! They say device comes with 3 years warranty and they don't even provide extra batteries for sale, so you are stuck if the original runs out! Very little in terms of firmware support and an answer to a question takes ages to get a reply!

If you are a lucky owner of a perfect unit, great! Bless whoever you want for that! But if you have any problems, you are on your own!

Check before you buy to see where to return unit for replacement or repair, just in case you need it. It is a closely guarded secret. :D

Have a peek at the forum for the MWG Ubiquio 503 to see how many disgruntled customers they have.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Build quality seems very good, it's a different OEM from the other MWg / O2 / UBiQUiO devices, so feels completely different in construction.

I thought the Atom Life was pretty solid too :D

P

Guest Sonicr360

not a bad device. Ok poor memory by todays standard, but nice size and if you want "light emails" on the go, could do worse :D

Guest Jura_CRO(ZG)
Build quality seems very good, it's a different OEM from the other MWg / O2 / UBiQUiO devices, so feels completely different in construction.

I thought the Atom Life was pretty solid too :D

P

This is what i found when looking for info on atom life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFNk7LS-d8...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSE0N5XH62A...feature=related

There are also alot of complains on different forums.

After seeing this I'm really sceptic about mwg devices(even though they look really nice and have good specs)...

Edited by Jura_CRO(ZG)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi.

I am desperately seeking the parts number for the screen of MWG Zinc II.

In Norway where I live, there is no MWG repair facility. My item was bought as a gift for me in USA.

I was very happy with the MWg, until screen was physically damaged.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ can repair but will not give me PN number.

Expansys UK has not replied

Any of these solutions imply a lot(!) of red tape due to customs +++. Simply not worth it!!!

So I'm leaving it to my local repair shop. But they're stuck without the PN number.

Please help!!

Thanks

• 8 months later...
Guest kats0001
Hi.

I am desperately seeking the parts number for the screen of MWG Zinc II.

In Norway where I live, there is no MWG repair facility. My item was bought as a gift for me in USA.

I was very happy with the MWg, until screen was physically damaged.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ can repair but will not give me PN number.

Expansys UK has not replied

Any of these solutions imply a lot(!) of red tape due to customs +++. Simply not worth it!!!

So I'm leaving it to my local repair shop. But they're stuck without the PN number.

Please help!!

Thanks

Hey I dont know if you'll ever get this but I'm in the same situation. I was wondering if you found out the number for the screen and if you got it fixed. Where did u order it from and how much did it cost? Please reply asap!! I'm derperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.