Internet access using laptop when not at home

Guest RickDawson

Guest RickDawson

I have tested my T-Mobile Vario III and can get a decent enough connection to the internet when using connection sharing through USB

I have only the basic W'n'W on my contract though. I would like to when I'm on holiday, upload my photos in the evenings.

I think doing this is going to be to much for the sort of usage of basic W'n'W.

T-mobile have offered me (Telephone marketing sales) a USB modem at £15 per month, as an existing t-mobile customer.

I wont be needing it for as long as a month to make £15 /month worthwhile.

What are my options, and what would you recommend?

I only need it if I go on holiday in the UK (which is only about once a year)

Whilst I'm at home I use my landline for data.

[note to mods]

If this post is in the wrong place, then feel free to move it

Guest lozzd
I have only the basic W'n'W on my contract though. I would like to when I'm on holiday, upload my photos in the evenings.

I think doing this is going to be to much for the sort of usage of basic W'n'W.

What gives you that impression? Standard W'n'W is good for 1gb. I wouldn't worry. The dongle thing has a 12/18/24 month contract or something, so completely pointless spending all that money on something you don't need.

Guest lozzd

Ohh 'ang on. You're not supposed to tether to a laptop with original W 'n' W are you? Although if you're seriously thinking about doing it just for your holiday, they won't notice. People do a lot worse!

If you're really worried pay the couple more quid to get 3gb and use it loads and loads :D it's great having internet anywhere.

Guest andrewkeith5

for going on holiday in the UK you may as well either upgrade to web 'n' walk plus and connect it to your pc and be done with it, or get a pay as you go usb dongle - 3 is probably best for that, its a tenner a month for 1gb or i think you can pay flat rate for the day

the £15 a month offer is fora ny customer, new or old, and requires a minimum 24 month contract ('cause t-mobile have really lost the plot now). The minimum contract term you can have with the data stick is 12 months where 3gb will cost you nigh-on 30 quid a month, so basically nobody should be buying a usb moem from t-mobile - even o2 have a betetr mobile broadband tariff

Guest jimbouk

The 3 payg deal is awesome. Switch your kaiser to 3 and then use it or pay £50 to buy the dongle, then if you need it, do a £10 top up and have 1gb for the next month. If you don't need it, then don't top up...

I have just bought a new Sony Laptop with built-in WWAN and am popping down to the local 3 store to get a payg sim today - as I won't need to buy the dongle.

Guest andrewkeith5

good luck mate

I've also got a sony laptop with WWAN (the SZ71 series) and 3 flat refused to sell me a data package, basically bull****ing me out of the store saying "oh but it won't work sir", to which i replied "i don't care, i want to buy it and i KNOW it will work", in a repetitive pattern

went with vodafone in the end - 5GB a month for £25 and i didn't even bother getting the modem :D

Guest jimbouk
good luck mate

I've also got a sony laptop with WWAN (the SZ71 series) and 3 flat refused to sell me a data package, basically bull****ing me out of the store saying "oh but it won't work sir", to which i replied "i don't care, i want to buy it and i KNOW it will work", in a repetitive pattern

went with vodafone in the end - 5GB a month for £25 and i didn't even bother getting the modem :D

All works fine. £1.99 for the sim, then my first £10 top up. Then go to my3 website to activate the top up and convert it to 1gb broadband.

Downloaded the GlobeTrotter Option software from Sony's support site (under the downgrade to XP pages) to replace the T-Mobile connection Manager (that only works with T Sims), installed globe trotter, inserted the sim and hey presto 2.4 mb broadband in fulham this afternoon.

Can choose £10, £15 or £25 for 1, 3 or 7 gb per month - or cos its PAYG, I can choose £0!

Guest jimbouk

Oh yeah... and as Paul pointed out, Three have confirmed that the monthly data allowance can be used abroad as long as I'm roaming with a three partner network.

Guest RickDawson

Just been to the local T-Mobile shop.

I have it sorted, and very easy/simple (I hope...)

All I need to do (for the first time):

• Phone T-Mobile, ask for Web'n'Walk Plus to be added.
  • Go away with my laptop and use my VarioIII as the modem using internet sharing.
  • Phone T-Mobile up when I get home, and ask to be put back to basic Web'n'Walk.

Then if I want to connect my laptop again after the first time, I can activate Web'n'Walk Plus by t-mobile's website (My t-mobile)

That's the info I got from the guy at the t-mobile shop in my local town.

only £5 extra for a month

Edited by RickDawson

Guest Zerodivider

As I'm working away from the office about three times a week, I'm using my Vatio III to connect my laptop to the net and remotely control my desktop PC in the office. I staying well below the 1GB limit per month. As for using my laptop (naughty, naughty): I can do exactly the same thing by only using the Vario, but using the laptop is quicker and more stable. My allowance is 1GB a month, and it should not make a difference to the network how it is used.

Edited by Zerodivider

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, remember with WnW standard you 'shouldn't' tether but you can... and for the odd occasion, I probably wouldn't worry too much.

P

Guest jimbouk

If you don't want to take the risk, then you can get a PAYG HSDPA sim from 3 and pay £10 a month for 1gb, £15 for 3gb or £25 for 7gb (all with a 30 day limit).

(But watch out using data on " holiday" if you are abroad)