Simple when you know how ....

Guest The Real Slartibartfast

Hi there. This is my first post so apologies !

I have recently acquired a Vodafone V1615 (HTC Tytn II). This is my first PDA type thingy and I must say I am very impressed so far.

I'm sure a lot of my "problems" are blindingly obvious to those who know. Despite digging I have gleaned bits and pieces of information but not the whole picture on he following

#1 How do I convert a DVD into a format I can watch on the device. I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and DVD FAB. It looks like PocketDIVx is recommended for processing the output from the "decrypters" and TCMP freeware to play it ?

What format do I need to output from the decrypt software (ISO, TS_VIDEO, .AVI (how ?)) etc.and is there step by step instructions anywhere which will help me get a watchable result ?

#2 I have various POP3 email accounts set up. Everything was going great until GMAIL email disappeared from the INBOX after downloading it. Web digging suggests it's cause by POP3 client / Gmail POP3 Server implementations. One workaround is to copy new mail to a different folder before it is deleted by a SEND / RECIVE. This seems to work but are there more elegant solutions ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Guest squall
Did a bit more reading on Gmail I've reconfigured to be IMAPand that seems OK so far

I will reply with regard to the pop settings when i get more time later, but for now, you could have a look at using the Gmail application,

http://www.google.com/mobile/mail/index.html which works pretty well, or just point your mobile browser at www.gmail.com

Hi Ian.

I hink I am OK with the email thing. IMAP seems to be working fine.

I run several email accounts and collect them all on my laptop using Outlook 2007.

That is how I'll be collecting them mainly but I wanted the mobile device to "see" what was being delivered so I could decide whether to download it or not. IMAP is delivering all headers whether i has been picked up or even deleted by my Latptop Outlook client or not ... which is fine.

I don't really want to have to logon to the web to check for emails especially with multiple accounts (I know I could forward them to a focal point account for collection).

I'll leave my set-up as is for the moment and see how I get on.

Thanks for the information

Ian

Guest Dark Horse
#1 How do I convert a DVD into a format I can watch on the device. I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink and DVD FAB. It looks like PocketDIVx is recommended for processing the output from the "decrypters" and TCMP freeware to play it ?

What format do I need to output from the decrypt software (ISO, TS_VIDEO, .AVI (how ?)) etc.and is there step by step instructions anywhere which will help me get a watchable result ?

Yes, you'll need PocketDivX to convert the file. Take a look at the PocketDivX faq at http://www.pocketdivxencoder.net/ for more details, when you first start PocketDivX encoder, it'll ask you what device you have and automatically set the output format (you can change this later though if required).

I usually output my vids to avi or mpg before running them through PocketDivX. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dark Horse

I am probably being dense but I couldn't figure out how to produce an AVI or MPEG file from Shrink , Decrypter or FAB.

I have now managed to get a DVD on the Tytn. I used DVD Shrink to produce a Video_TS folder. I then used DVDx and followed this information to convert that to an AVI. http://www.wikihow.com/Rip-a-DVD-to-an-AVI-or-MPG-File-Using-DVDx

That gave me a file of 448 Mb. I ran this through PocketDivx (when I finally found a version which worked with Vista !) . That increased the file to 796 Mb !

I copied the file produced by DVDx onto the Tytn and played it back throigh TCMP after following this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=326225&page=9

I now need to figure out if I should be trying to end up ith a smaller AVI file. It looks and play back fine on the Tytn.

Next hunt is how to play internet radio !

Thanks

Regards

Ian

Intenet Radio sorted.

www.radiofeeds.co.uk/pda for UK radio stations

www.radioio.com/io2go for a wide choice on internet stations

Sorted !

Ian

As ever it was all going too well !

When I went to convert my 2nd DVD DVDx wouldn't work saying "cannot open temporary file" I messed about with input files , deleted / cleared down space , made sure there were no spaces or special characters in path names , re-booted , dug on the web ... nothing. Uninstalled and re-installed and all was well (at 02:00 in the morning !)

The next film I convertd to AVI using the same settings was 783 Mb. I ran this through PocketDIVx reducing the quality in line with the help screens and it came down to 399Mb. There is no noticebale difference in viewing / audio quality.

Off to figure out why my first conversion was much smaller out of DVDx (same settings as far as I am aware) and still grew when I ran it through PocketDIVx using the same settings as the shrunk file above.

Ian

Edited by The Real Slartibartfast